Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Scratching my head over this

Flytampa ybbn with city installed ,PG on, or off don’t make a difference tested any heavy aircraft  FBW a320 etc 

latest nvidia driver and also previous 2

7950x3d

3080ti

32gb ram

Settings set to mostly ultra with a few exceptions to shadows.

gpu usage 11 out of 12

i then set all settings to medium or below 

same result 11gb of vram used  Out of 12.

in both dx11 and dx12.

I don’t get it ?

mike

The VRAM will scale according to your available VRAM.  It will be swapping in and out all of the time and flushing out old data and over-writing with new needed data when it nears its limit (but probably not until then, in case you do a 180 and it needs that data again :smile:). 

The chances are, if you had a 4090 with 24 GB VRAM, it would show at 17 or 18 GB or something with higher settings.

If it is functioning fine Mike I wouldn't chase your tail over this - it is just a waste of time.  I would just enjoy the sim. 
It moves data in and out of VRAM all of the time as necessary, and I would expect it to utilise what you have, or it would be a waste of money and VRAM.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 3

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

The VRAM will scale according to your available VRAM.  It will be swapping in and out all of the time and flushing out old data when it nears its limit.
The chances are, if you had a 4090 with 24 GB VRAM, it would show at 17 or 18 GB or something with higher settings.

If it is functioning fine Mike I wouldn't chase your tail over this - it is just a waste of time.  I would just enjoy the sim.

Oh Ic 😂.

I was going bananas , I thought that was causing some Fps drop  maxing out vram while flying  approaching  the airport. And panning on the ground.

🤔

Mike

1 hour ago, mikeymike said:

Oh Ic 😂.

I was going bananas , I thought that was causing some Fps drop  maxing out vram while flying  approaching  the airport. And panning on the ground.

🤔

Mike

That can happen to the best of setups Mike unless you are running a new 4000 series with frame generation.

I have a 3080Ti myself and still get FPS drop and slight stuttering when landing (and panning) at the bigger airports, and I consider my setup to be fairly well optimised.

A few have reported this recently also (stuttering when approaching large airports and panning around).  It depends what FPS and settings they run at.
Some will say 'I don't get FPS drop and stuttering at all', but they won't really see it at 2k 30FPS and moderate settings.
I run at mainly ultra setting, 4k, and can hold 60FPS silky smooth in the main, but when flying over or towards complex scenery, obviously, I can lose a few FPS, and then as it dips below 60, I get very slight stuttering.  It is to be expected, even on a 3080Ti and a 13900 CPU.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Simming has been this way for years.  Does anyone remember the first several months of FSX bringing state of the art hardware to its knees?  The very latest hw setups will still hiccup every once in a while when settings are max’d / set to ‘ultra’.  Many of those can be dialed down & you won’t even see a difference.   

• Like 1

rgds, JB

Intel 11900K @ 5.0GHz, MSI Z590, 32GB G.Skill 3600Mhz, RTX 4080 MSI Ventus, GoFlight modules, HP Reverb G2 VR, FlyVirtual.net, Private Pilot SEL rating

testing now for 2 weeks my 7950x3d. I am still capping to 33fps via the sim vsync. Now on gate27 NZCH from NZA I can keep 42 fps with traffic.

Using DX11 and Vram is abot 12 gb.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

7 hours ago, joby33y said:

Simming has been this way for years.  Does anyone remember the first several months of FSX bringing state of the art hardware to its knees?  The very latest hw setups will still hiccup every once in a while when settings are max’d / set to ‘ultra’.  Many of those can be dialed down & you won’t even see a difference.   

As I mentioned above thou I have dialled down the settings to medium no AI with dx11 vram at airport mentioned above still quite high. 
once flying out a few miles 💥 down to 5gb.

I would imagine it doesn’t matter how much you dial settings down the airport needs to be modified I guess ?

mike 

8 hours ago, joby33y said:

+1

After watching this video I came to the conclusion that some settings like Buildings and Trees won't make a difference between High & Ultra unless you are running 4K. It seems the difference only changes objects that are far away, thus very small on screen.

Edited by reignman40

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case