Sign in to follow this  
flyinmaninmn

Scenery Creation

Hi There!

Is anybody looking to make some scenery buildings to share with the FS Community? I have some places I would like to see if you would like to make. I have pictures that, hopefully, show enough of what needed to be built. Anyways, let me know if you can do this. I will also, supply you the address of the location so you know where to place the building(s).

Thank You.

Lee

I have pics of these places if you can do this. The Realistic building would have to be. I have pictures of intended place/landmark that I could supply to you.

Hi Lee,

Although I never got around to doing it, I have thought about creating airport scenery myself in the past using a scenery modelling application called G-Max which I think is payware. There are tutorials, etc available online for this if you do a search and I'm sure you would also get some help on the Avsim FSX Scenery Design forum if you decided to go down the pathway of learning this skill yourself, which might be worthwhile if there are a lot of scenery objects which you would like to create.

Bill

I have made 2 or 3 airports years ago that used photos to guide the look of the specific buildings.  It is extremely time consuming to learn but rewarding to get it to completion. The last one I did was YBSS (in the Avsim library). It will give you access to a few hangars etc and rural objects. To make the buildings realistic requires not just learning how to use G-Max but to also learn how to do image development and object texturing. I did all my scenery objects in FSDesign351 which is free (I assume it still is). Download my YBSS and you will get access to the texturing files which will save a lot of time but then you need to learn how to use those files with the scenery development tool. There should be enough texturing images to give a good choice to 'paint' your buildings to display closely to how they look in reality.

to scianoir= You could use the defaul buildings. Could you put textures so they look some-what real? It would be cool if you can. Get back me and if you want, where you want to send the different views of the building.

Thanks

Lee

17 hours ago, flyinmaninmn said:

to scianoir= You could use the defaul buildings. Could you put textures so they look some-what real? It would be cool if you can. Get back me and if you want, where you want to send the different views of the building.

Thanks

Lee

As I said in my post, I have never actually used G-Max myself - I was just suggesting it as an option to look into if you wanted to consider doing the scenery modelling yourself. I cannot therefore answer your question regarding textures, but maybe robb13 might be able to answer that for you as he has hands-on experience using G-Max.

Bill

I used freeware product called FSDesign v3.5.1 (incl the Tweak addon), which is the one needed to create models for FSX. This can be found at the FlyAway website. As to whether its possible to take a FSX generic building and simply re-paint it with custom textures is something I've never thought about.  Its a few years since I did any of this modelling stuff so I'm a bit hazy about it all. It would involve using scenery libraries to locate the building to begin with which might be very arduous or impossible ( they will all be just GUID file names) and the file may be in a format G-max or FSDesign does not recognise.  And of course that generic re-textured building will then appear re-textured throughout FSX everywhere it has been used by the FSX engine. So I think the answer is No, dont try it.

Making a replacement building with G-Max etc and creating a bgl file of it containing relevant co-ordinates for its location and then putting it in the Addon folder, will just result in FSX displaying the new building dumped on top of the original building.

If you want to replace a building at an existing airport, easiest way may be to re-create the entire airport by selecting the FSX stock airport using Airport Design Editor  (see ScruffyDuck Software) and save it and then you can replace the building(s) you want to replace, with the re-textured one you have made using G-max or FSDesign.  The new saved airport files would go into the FSX Addon Scenery folder and any custom texture file used will go into the texture folder that's adjacent to the scenery folder... 

So you can see how arduous it all is and I doubt anyone is going to do it for you unless they have a personal interest in the airport in question.  Good luck at that.  3D modelling and texturing is a time consuming learnt skill but once learnt, it gives a real sense of satisfaction .... and appreciation for others who offer paid-ware.

To Scianoir - I know that someone did the Trump tower in Las Vegas and had a installer as to when you ran the installer, it placed the objct in the right place. Like I said if you want to do this for me, I would be very thankful. I have pics if you need them.

Lee

On 6/25/2023 at 7:23 AM, flyinmaninmn said:

Like I said if you want to do this for me, I would be very thankful. I have pics if you need them.

On 6/23/2023 at 5:40 PM, scianoir said:

As I said in my post, I have never actually used G-Max myself - I was just suggesting it as an option to look into if you wanted to consider doing the scenery modelling yourself.

Bill

To David Vega- It is ok if you use default buildings. I could take care of the textures. so, all that would need are the buildings, which can be default, and I can texture them. If you can supply a sheet to repaint it, kinds like an aircraft, the repaint page. Anyways, please let me know if you can help me.

@flyinmaninmn, please check out some of the airports that I've uploaded to the avsim file library. Follow the link in my signature. I could help with runways, taxiways, vehicle paths, etc. plus some scenery objects (control towers, vehicles and basically all the scenery objects that are default in FSX. We could try one of your smaller airports and see how it goes. 

David

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

David, Yes we can explore that option. The airport (small) is Anoka County Janes Field in Blaine. 2 Runways, a tower, some GA parking. If you want to design something at that airport, you can. Let me know what you can do. Thanks David