Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Updated Garmin GTN NXi trainer & nav database and TDS plugin

Not sure how long ago this actuallyhappened but there is a new version of the official Garmin GTN/GTNXi Trainer (v3.6.4.0) with updated charts and Nav databases. (The new charts were valid until 01-Dec-22 and the Nav data 29-Dev-22)

And seemingly to go with three new trainer there's also an updated version of the TDS GTN NXi plugin.

Easy way to update both the trainer and TDS plugin in to use the TDS installer app which should show what you have currently installed and what you can upgraded to)

(Also for people running more than one sim the RXP GTN (and GNS) plugins for XP and FSX/P3D have also been updated in the last few days and seen to play nice with the new datasets)

• Like 5

Great find.

I thought that the yellow boex would say "Update" if a newer version is available, but seemingly You have to check the available versions and pick the latest Yourself.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX4070 12GB, 1 x 1TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home, Meta Quest 3

So it would seem a purchaser of a Garmin trainer based GTN can expect a database at least 6 months old and stretching out to 2 years or so before an update.  Now 6 to 12 months I could accept but 2 years is a bit long particularly for procedures. Oh well this at least gives me something to consider.

Bruce

Edited by brucewtb
New info

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

7 hours ago, brucewtb said:

So it would seem a purchaser of a Garmin trainer based GTN can expect a database at least 6 months old and stretching out to 2 years or so before an update.  Now 6 to 12 months I could accept but 2 years is a bit long particularly for procedures. Oh well this at least gives me something to consider.

Bruce

Yup, it is what it is.. For that you get a GTN that operates like the real thing.. kind of nice 😉

And, if you were using the RXP version in P3D, it is like getting an old friend back 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

7 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Bruce

The Garmin trainers have routinely been updated about once a year, usually in May, and the database has routinely been a year old at the time of each trainer update.  Assume from that Garmin is protecting their subscription side.  The trainer and it's data is real world, not just for simulators.  I flew extensively with the RXP GTN for several years, and did so side-by-side with the Fltplan.go app from fltplan.com, which is owned by Garminn and is real-time and current.  I rarelly ran into out of date exceptions between the two.  When I did so it was typically something like CHIKN3 arrival changed to CHIKN4 arrival, with no discernable changes in the procedure itself.  I currently use the TDS GTN in MSFS and have a Navigraph Unlimited subscription.  The annual rate costs less than half a typical hourly rental rate for a Cessna 172.  😁

image.png.7a9d3f20e45b58563e13e98733ca955e.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well as I said I would be quite happy with a database that is no more than 12 months old but it seems these days it stretches out to much more than that.  Maybe procedures change more often in Australia to elsewhere in the world as it has been an issue for me with the RXP Garmins in P3D.  Less fussed about intersection data.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."