Sign in to follow this  
Stiller Water

Which weather programs do you use for MSFS?

6 minutes ago, Stiller Water said:

That is exactly my problem: I want to re-fly a trip to Oceania I made in Feb/March, or anticipate a flight I may make in another February. I can not use live weather for that.

Therein lies the problem of Live Weather only. Other sims that are compatible with Active Sky can setup for that weather on that date.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, fppilot said:

I continued to fall back on REX WF when needed

Well today was another day. Live weather was a close match.---- Until I neared my destination of KBJC Rocky Mountain, Denver.   From about 60 out ATIS and depicted weather matched on clouds and rain, but did not match reported wind direction 270, or altimeter 30.04.  ATIS was feeding me 090 and 29.86 and incorrect runway.  Reached back for REX WF and more of the same.  REX and ATIS wind direction and pressure were a closer match, but cloud and rain depicton did not match at all.  *&(&^%**()^&%(*

I loaded LIve Weather back in for the depiction, still getting ATIS well off on winds and pressure.  12 minutes later when turning on final I listened to ATIS again (LW) and this time it was all representative, including active RWY.   

I will keep both close at hand.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Well today was another day. Live weather was a close match.---- Until I neared my destination of KBJC Rocky Mountain, Denver.   From about 60 out ATIS and depicted weather matched on clouds and rain, but did not match reported wind direction 270, or altimeter 30.04.  ATIS was feeding me 090 and 29.86 and incorrect runway.  Reached back for REX WF and more of the same.  REX and ATIS wind direction and pressure were a closer match, but cloud and rain depicton did not match at all.  *&(&^%**()^&%(*

I loaded LIve Weather back in for the depiction, still getting ATIS well off on winds and pressure.  12 minutes later when turning on final I listened to ATIS again (LW) and this time it was all representative, including active RWY.   

I will keep both close at hand.

At airports where a METAR exists, ATIS is many times wrong because it reports the Meteoblue forecast instead of METAR. Looks like after the METAR implementation with SU7 they forgot to correct this. That's why I don't even bother with ATIS, I always check the METAR (unless there isn't one). There is a bug report about this on the official forum, but it only got 12 votes, looks like most people don't care about this, go figure.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/atis-not-matching-metar/564725

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

3 hours ago, Alvega said:

That's why I don't even bother with ATIS, I always check the METAR

Ok. So in determining pressure adjusted field level (altimeter based) how do you determine which is real in the sim. Metar or ATIS.  Please recognize I am NOT speaking about the pressure reading in the RW, talking instead specifically about in the sim. What is the pressure in the sim?  The only method I am aware of is to land and then press the "B" key.  But then you landed without knowing and did that after the fact.  Just not right, and badly needed to be corrected about one week after the August 2020 release. And still.........

Weather is one of the most critical influences on aviation (check my footer below), and seems that Asobo has after nearing three years since release has not elevated it to its appropriate level of importance.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

14 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Ok. So in determining pressure adjusted field level (altimeter based) how do you determine which is real in the sim. Metar or ATIS.  Please recognize I am NOT speaking about the pressure reading in the RW, talking instead specifically about in the sim. What is the pressure in the sim?  The only method I am aware of is to land and then press the "B" key.  But then you landed without knowing and did that after the fact.  Just not right, and badly needed to be corrected about one week after the August 2020 release. And still.........

Weather is one of the most critical influences on aviation (check my footer below), and seems that Asobo has after nearing three years since release has not elevated it to its appropriate level of importance.

The pressure you get by pressing the B keyin the runway is the same as the Metar. I don't understand what you mean by this "But then you landed without knowing and did that after the fact". ATC gives me the pressure before I land, usually Pilot2ATC but default ATC too. You mean you are not using ATC?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

10 minutes ago, Alvega said:

The pressure you get by pressing the B keyin the runway is the same as the Metar. I don't understand what you mean by this "But then you landed without knowing and did that after the fact". ATC gives me the pressure before I land, usually Pilot2ATC but default ATC too. You mean you are not using ATC?

Actually, if you read my previous message, I asked you a question.  Throw out Pilot2ATC.  Not part of the discussion. You have two choices on what to rely on when approaching to land.  MSFS ATIS?  Or real world metar?  Which is the sim actually using?  Which of those two?  You are in the approach in IMC.  Which do you have confidence that the sim is throwing at you for altimeter setting?  MSFS ATIS?  Or metar?

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Actually, if you read my previous message, I asked you a question.  Throw out Pilot2ATC.  Not part of the discussion. You have two choices on what to rely on when approaching to land.  MSFS ATIS?  Or real world metar?  Which is the sim actually using?  Which of those two?  You are in the approach in IMC.  Which do you have confidence that the sim is throwing at you for altimeter setting?  MSFS ATIS?  Or metar?

You had the answer to that question in my first post, ATIS is bugged, I completely ignore it. Even if the ATIS pressure may be the same as Metar sometimes, the sky condition and visibility is almost always wrong, same for active runways, etc. Metar is always correct. Obviously if ATIS is reporting based on Meteoblue forecast and the weather when landing is based on Metar, I think it's easy to understand it's Metar you should use.

Edit: Just saw a Navigraph dev saying on their Discord that they have plans to bring the Simbrief ATIS (Real world) to their charts app. This will be good.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

Live weather, that is all I have ever used. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 hours ago, Alvega said:

You had the answer to that question in my first post, ATIS is bugged, I completely ignore it. Even if the ATIS pressure may be the same as Metar sometimes, the sky condition and visibility is almost always wrong, same for active runways, etc. Metar is always correct. Obviously if ATIS is reporting based on Meteoblue forecast and the weather when landing is based on Metar, I think it's easy to understand it's Metar you should use.

Edit: Just saw a Navigraph dev saying on their Discord that they have plans to bring the Simbrief ATIS (Real world) to their charts app. This will be good.

You are still missing my question.  When there is a significant difference bewteen ATIS and metar, have you used the B key and verified which pressure the sim is actually using once on the ground?  Not when airborn.  Instead after landing.  I have a reason for being that specific.

Frank Patton
ASUS 

42 minutes ago, fppilot said:

You are still missing my question.  When there is a significant difference bewteen ATIS and metar, have you used the B key and verified which pressure the sim is actually using once on the ground?  Not when airborn.  Instead after landing.  I have a reason for being that specific.

Ok, I quit. You are a hard guy to help, I had noticed that before. Good luck.

Alvega

46 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Ok, I quit. You are a hard guy to help, I had noticed that before. Good luck.

Help? I asked for none.  Just asked a question that is still unanswered.....

Frank Patton
ASUS