Sign in to follow this  
cchiozza

REX Weather Force - Me Only?

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Ehm, in my understanding of "depicting weatherfronts", your statement basically confirms that REX is unable to do so

Rex does show weather fronts.  The only difference to MSFS live weather is it shows them in <length of time in Rex settings> chunks.  If you sit on the ground for hours in MSFS, REX will show all stages of a weather front as the metar changes at that location.  REX has some advantages over default weather, like portraying more diverse cloud types. Rather than stating REX is 'useless', why not just state there are aspects of it that don't suit your specific requirements?

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

8 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Rex does show weather fronts.  The only difference to MSFS live weather is it shows them in <length of time in Rex settings> chunks.  If you sit on the ground for hours in MSFS, REX will show all stages of a weather front as the metar changes at that location.  REX has some advantages over default weather, like portraying more diverse cloud types. Rather than stating REX is 'useless', why not just state there are aspects of it that don't suit your specific requirements?

Read my post again, while I did a general statemen (oh boy, sorry for that), I also made it pretty clear that it is a personal opinion. 

And let's agree to disagree, changing the weather in whatever timeframe chunks globally is NOT what I call depicting a weatherfront. I want to be able to fly in and out of such a front, e.g. by a fast military jet. Means half of the ceiling is fully overcast, the other half is almost compeltely clear skies. THIS is what I call a weather front depiction. And as mentioned, the fact that I can SEE completely different weather e.g. in a valley or on one side of a mountain ridge vs. the other side. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

13 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Read my post again, while I did a general statemen (oh boy, sorry for that), I also made it pretty clear that it is a personal opinion. 

And let's agree to disagree, changing the weather in whatever timeframe chunks globally is NOT what I call depicting a weatherfront. I want to be able to fly in and out of such a front, e.g. by a fast military jet. Means half of the ceiling is fully overcast, the other half is almost compeltely clear skies. THIS is what I call a weather front depiction. And as mentioned, the fact that I can SEE completely different weather e.g. in a valley or on one side of a mountain ridge vs. the other side. 

I understand your feelings and requirements for local depiction of weather, which can only be achieved with MSFS default live weather.  My initial reply was in response to you calling REX 'useless', and further replies in response to you stating REX doesn't show weather fronts, which it clearly does.  When very changeable conditions are forecast, I may decide to use MSFS default weather.  I may lose some of the excellent cloud depictions of REX, but I gain the local depiction of weather that you value.  When conditions are more uniform, I will ALWAYS use REX for the more varied and accurate clouds that it produces.

I don't disagree with you regarding local/global depiction of weather and neither do I dismiss your personal requirements from a weather engine.  MSFS default weather is excellent, but so is REX in many ways.

Edited by MrBitstFlyer

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

I agree with you. This was posted by one of the REX devs (Reed) in their Discord, which clearly shows it can't depict weather fronts in the distance:

In regard to your second question, we are only able to change the weather around the aircraft.  It would be nice to have the ability to change in the distance, but currently there is not an SDK to do this or a function to accomplish this.

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Besides that, I just learnt that AI traffic does not react to REX weather. Another no-go for me...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Besides that, I just learnt that AI traffic does not react to REX weather. Another no-go for me...

What do you mean AI does not react to REX?

Chris Chiozza

On 6/16/2023 at 5:42 PM, cchiozza said:

What do you mean AI does not react to REX?

When you load the scenario with Clear Skies as described in the manual, AI traffic will use this weather setup, no matter if then REX weather is loaded in and e.g. totally changes wind conditions. AI traffic will then continue to act like using clear skies...

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris