Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Can default aircraft be deleted?

The only default aircraft I fly are the C-130, F-22, F-35, and the CH-53. I never even loaded up most of the other planes to see what they look like so why keep them? And with all the AI and scenery I install I can use the hard drive space (I don't have any issues with hard drive space now, but I am thinking in the future). So, can default aircraft be deleted?

Edit: When I say delete the aircraft I mean saving them to another hard drive incase I still need them, then deleting them from the sim.

Some other planes my rely on them, using the panel or gauges, the sound by aliasing to them. This is often for freeware, payware rather not.  Otherwise I think it is possible. An option instead of deleting them is change the definition for user objects in the prepar3d.cfg or moving them into a directory default airplanes instead of airplanes.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

1 hour ago, blaunarwal said:

An option instead of deleting them is change the definition for user objects in the prepar3d.cfg.

What do you mean by this? Is there an entry in the cfg I can change? If so then which one?

58 minutes ago, Joseph29 said:

What do you mean by this? Is there an entry in the cfg I can change? If so then which one?

This is in prepar3d.cfg

[MAIN]

User Objects=Airplane, Helicopter, Submersible, ExternalSim, Avatar

and this in the aircraft.cfg

[General]
Category = airplane

So you can define your own category for default planes and they are out. You just have to edit each aircraft.cfg to airplaned d for default and it should not show.

If you want them in your list, add airplaned to the User Objects.

That's the theory. I think it may work this way and is worth trying.

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

I create a sub-directory under Simobjects/Airplanes called Unused Aircraft. I just move them over and they no longer appear in my list of aircraft. 

As Bluenarwal suggested, some default aircraft rely on definitions (typically Panel and Sound) and in that case I copy the original definitions to the Panel or Sound file of the aircraft I have decided to retain. Not the most straightforward approach, but it does allow me to clean-up things nicely.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I simply zipped (archived) all the folders I don't use into one file and move the archive to another drive or an external backup USB drive.

Another option is to create a symbolic link to the aircraft folder:

-- Open the Command Prompt with admin rights by pressing Win + X and selecting the option “Command Prompt (Admin)”.

-- Use the below command format to create a symlink for a file:

mklink /D "D:\new_file_name" "C:\original_file_name"

Edited by Matt Sdeel

You don't have to delete them.

P3D models have a parameter for this in the aircraft.cfg: IsSelectableVehicle

IIRC you can set "IsSelectableVehicle = false" into any [FLTSIM.n] section, if you only want to disable specific liveries, or in the [GENERAL] section to disable the entire aircraft.

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Upvote 1

LORBY-SI