Sign in to follow this  
Waldo Pepper

"Soaring Weather for MSFS"

10 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

I think you'll change your tune after your try the presets.

👍

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 6/18/2023 at 9:22 PM, FBW737 said:

So this conversation makes no difference to the fact that when you fly a glider in the sim at mid day in summer with well developed CU and by all experience it would be a reasonably expectation to find lift under many of those clouds and sink in between them and be able to centre those thermals in a glider and climb to cloud base I could not find that the Sim even remotely delivered on those expectation so at the risk of repeating myself. "Unless you have favourable winds for ridge lift the answer is no. The thermals the sim generates are terrible. With live weather you'll always need favourable conditions at the place and time you want to fly anyway."

But what would I know. I only have an FAI Silver Badge!🤪

Not withstanding that the weather presets posted above seem to work very well to me.

But did you ever fly in the Netherlands??  No??  then you FAI!!!!  SILVER!!!!!  BADGE!!!!  is worth nothing

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

On 6/18/2023 at 9:22 PM, FBW737 said:

So this conversation makes no difference to the fact that when you fly a glider in the sim at mid day in summer with well developed CU and by all experience it would be a reasonably expectation to find lift under many of those clouds and sink in between them and be able to centre those thermals in a glider and climb to cloud base I could not find that the Sim even remotely delivered on those expectation so at the risk of repeating myself. "Unless you have favourable winds for ridge lift the answer is no. The thermals the sim generates are terrible. With live weather you'll always need favourable conditions at the place and time you want to fly anyway."

But what would I know. I only have an FAI Silver Badge!🤪

Not withstanding that the weather presets posted above seem to work very well to me.

But did you ever fly in the Netherlands??  No??  then you FAI!!!!  SILVER!!!!!  BADGE!!!!  is worth nothing

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

1 hour ago, hansb57 said:

Well, its actually made of Silver so even in an word not allowed backwards country like Holland its worth something.

On 6/19/2023 at 6:00 PM, Waldo Pepper said:

There's a pretty nice K7

Is the Vario audible in the K7 on your system. I do have a vague memory that the winter in the K7 that I flew all those years ago was silent but on my system sometimes I get a bug that there is no audio for the Vario in the Discus so I'm not sure its that bug or if the winter is just plain silient. I'm so tuned to that sound I cannot thermal without it!🤣

17 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

I just checked,  the K7's vario is silent.

Yes it is. It's a pity. In reality it wouldn't be as big a handicap. In the sim instead of relying on the audio cue from the vario one could rely on the seat of the pants to discern entry into life and sink which you don't have in the sim. Although, I do like the visual cues and sounds in MSFS. They are really good!

36 pilots participated in last Saturday's SSC event in Columbia.    This Saturday we are flying out of EPZR in Zar, Poland.

All details will be shared in the "SSC Saturday" discord channel,  https://discord.gg/rZjmcrJd

The flight plan and wpr will be posted there a few hours prior to the event,  in an attempt to promote a level playing field.

All are welcome,   voice comms is not mandatory.   Xbox pilots are also welcome.

If anyone is shy,  just spawn at EPZR tomorrow at 17:45 on the SE Asia server,   and follow the pack.

I have to pull some mandatory OT tomorrow,  but I'll try to post the PLN and WPR here when I get home a few hours before the event.

You can expect a group varying from teenagers to seniors,   from all over the globe.   

Many of them are glider pilots IRL,   and at least 3 or 4 are dev's of the 3rd party gliders which exist now.  (AS33 ME,  JS3,  DG808s, K7, LS-4,  etc)

Very informal event.  It's not a race,  but that doesn't stop the competitive juices from flowing.  😁

SSC Zar 315 

Saturday, June 23, 05:45 PM Zulu

Server: Southeast Asia
Voice: Sim Soaring Club (PTT)

Meet/Briefing: Saturday, June 23, 05:45 PM Zulu
At this time we meet in the voice chat and get ready.

Sim date And time: June 23, 2023, 12:00 PM local

Departure: EPZR  - Zar, Poland
Flight plan file: PLN will be provided on Saturday
Weather file:  WPR will be provided on Saturday

Synchronized Fly: 06:00 PM Zulu
At this time we simultaneously click fly to sync our weather.
At this time we can also start launching from the airfield.

Task Start: 06:30 PM Zulu
At this time we cross the starting line and start the task.

Duration: 90 to 120 minutes (1h30 to 2h)

Pilots who finish this task successfully during the event will be eligible to apply for the Silver Soaring Badge

Details of task, weather will follow on Saturday.

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

Yes it is. It's a pity. In reality it wouldn't be as big a handicap. In the sim instead of relying on the audio cue from the vario one could rely on the seat of the pants to discern entry into life and sink which you don't have in the sim. Although, I do like the visual cues and sounds in MSFS. They are really good!

I purchased FSrealistic some time ago,   but never got around to messing with it very much.   Recently I started using it when flying MSFS gliders,   the shaking effects and sounds for events such as overspeed or speed brakes and flaps are really nice.  Make them feel more "alive".   

It is a shame the K7's vario isn't audible though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waldo Pepper said:

36 pilots participated in last Saturday's SSC event in Columbia.    This Saturday we are flying out of EPZR in Zar, Poland.

I'll definitely give that a go some time but not this Saturday that's for sure!🙁

**Briefing:**

We are launching out of a quite uniqe airfield that is located on a slight downhill slope

I'd suggest to do a few test launches.

⚠️  The AI towplane might struggle to clear the surrounding mountains.

👉  I'd recommend self-launching if your glider is capable

🎢  Which ever launch method you choose, make sure to **engage wheel brakes **immediately after spawning, so you don't start rolling downhill.

🟢 **Start**
Max Alt 5000 ft

🌥️  **Leg 1**

We are flying into wind and will use cloud thermals to reach TP1.

🌬️  **Leg 2**

After crossing TP1, use the ridges that lead into the Tatra Mountains

🗻  **Leg 3**

At TP2 you should be able to get enough altitude for the final glide to TP3, which lines you up for a high speed finish over the lake.   100km final glide

Jonker JS3 Rapture updated today to include the 15m version,   bundled with the 18m version.   https://flightsim.to/file/56083/jonker-js3-rapture

A basic comparison of the 15m and 18m:

The best glide ratio of the JS3-18 is ~56:1, and the JS3-15 is ~50:1. This mostly makes a difference while thermalling in weak to medium thermals or on a final glide in weak conditions. Let's be honest you're unikely to be in either of those situations in MSFS.

At high speed, the margin between the two gliders begins to shrink, and at 140 knots the glide ratio of the JS3-18 (~26:1) is only a little higher than the JS3-15 (~25:1).

Back in the day before 18m (or 20m) gliders were popular, the competition classes jumped from 15m flapped to Open Class (with planes ~25/26m wingspan). Counter-intuitively the 15m gliders could be faster than the open class on a really strong day as the Open class ~60:1 floaty glide capability kicks word not allowed in weak conditions but becomes a liability at high speed.

The handling of the JS3 15m and 18m in MSFS is similar, the performance differs slightly word not allowed reported above, the 15m carries less ballast and is permitted a lower max total weight (525Kg vs 600Kg) and the net effect of all that is the 15m has a lower max wing-loading but the performance is still awesome. The roll-rate of the 15m is slightly better in the sim but you might not notice.

The instruments in the 15m and 18m are exactly the same, with the idea being you've attached different wing tips for the two wingspans (as RL). You'll see a piece of sticky tape on the 15m panel reminding you that you've attached those tips. The two packages in MSFS are necessary as there are a bunch of files that need to be swapped in/out between the 15m and 18m such as the flight model, and that's not something MSFS can do in a single package.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2023 at 2:00 PM, FBW737 said:

Looks like the K7 was updated two days ago.

https://flightsim.to/file/34815/schleicher-k7-glider

Version 1.3.2

non-linear Vertical Speed Indicator bottom-left on panel replaced with a NETTO vario reading

Vario audio beep added to computer vario (lift-only, default OFF, enabled via Vario Switch on panel)

Low-speed polar (35..50 knots, 63..90 kph) adjusted, handling/polar otherwise unchanged.

Spoilers/Airbrakes effectiveness increased

'Imperial' (knots/feet) instruments and liveries integrated into a single package with the metric

A couple of additional liveries added

IF you have the K7 imperial gauges mod installed it's no loner relevant.   Supposedly it can interfere with the new variometer tones.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waldo Pepper said:

Looks like the K7 was updated two days ago.

https://flightsim.to/file/34815/schleicher-k7-glider

IF you have the K7 imperial gauges mod installed it's no loner relevant.   Supposedly it can interfere with the new variometer tones.

In fact I just downloaded that earlier today.

Haven't had a change to fly it yet.