Sign in to follow this  
vvince

P3DV6 and VR?

Hi,

has anybody tried V6 in VR yet? How does it work performance wise compared to V5?

In V5 I could never get rtid of stuttering, it was never a fluid experience (V4.5 was better on that matter).

If stuttering is gone  in V6 and performance better than in V5 this would be a reason good enough to upgrade for me

I have a Rift S, RTX3090 and i9900K.

Cheers, Vvince

So far I've only seen one feedback regarding VR in P3Dv6 on another forum. According to the tester, the performance in 5.4 is way superior to v6.

Note that he was testing with 2D clouds only and without addons in the v6 (while his 5.4 is full of addons including OrbX).

Edited by Daube
  • Upvote 1

I have flown v6 in VR for a few hours and found performance mostly acceptably smooth even with very high settings and dense 7/8 cumulus clouds, but some temporary stutters when looking left or right outside the cockpit. clouds looked very nice and convincing from below, but at night they are too bright and clearly visible when everything else is pitch black. overall performance not as good as in MSFS but still mostly smooth. but then, I have a  very powerful flightsim pc. 😊

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Single Pass (cheaper method) has always performed better in P3D vs full stereo, single pass mode is no longer a feature in P3Dv6.

So you can certainly expect a performance hit with full stereo in P3Dv6 as with previous P3D versions.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

20 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

single pass mode is no longer a feature in P3Dv6.

??

screenshot2023-07-05sufekk.png

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

very nice.

On 7/6/2023 at 9:29 AM, turbomax said:

??

screenshot2023-07-05sufekk.png

Was misinformed by another poster that single pass was done away with. 

Would love to here your VR performance take on the new V6 single pass vs stereo.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Thanks to all for the replies!

@turbomax, any comparison with V5, if you've  flown VR in this previous version?

Stutter when looking left or right outside is what I have in V5. It is somewhat bearable with GA aircraft since they are not so fast, but get quite bad with faster planes like miliitary jets (when flying low).

59 minutes ago, vvince said:

any comparison with V5, if you've  flown VR in this previous version?

sorry, I have not, but I felt VR in P3Dv6 while not as constantly performant as in MSFS, mostly surprisingly pleasant. but my flight was only in less challenging environments in Carenados in the middle of nowhere 11S, but plenty of cumulus high density clouds. I suggest everybody try whatever they are interested in with the $ 9.99 developer subscription for just 1 month and then decide for themselves.

Edited by turbomax

very nice.

OK...I just bought the Oculus 3..WHERE in the menu is the dropdown for the Virtual Reality settings??? Is it on P3d v6 menu?

Obviously I'm not very tech savvy...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

OK...I just bought the Oculus 3..WHERE in the menu is the dropdown for the Virtual Reality settings??? Is it on P3d v6 menu?

Obviously I'm not very tech savvy...

It's on the main menu bar across the top of the main window, near the far right.  If it's not showing, then you need to update the virtual reality setting from 0 to 1 in the prepar3d.cfg.

Also, SteamVR has better performance than Questlink.

Edited by Sabre57
grammer
  • Like 1

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

On 4/7/2024 at 10:45 AM, Sabre57 said:

It's on the main menu bar across the top of the main window, near the far right.  If it's not showing, then you need to update the virtual reality setting from 0 to 1 in the prepar3d.cfg.

Also, SteamVR has better performance than Questlink.

THANK YOU!!

My problem (amongst my many) is that the Main Menu was "hidden" at startup. When you told me about the Main Menu across the top I was able to find the box to uncheck and Virtual Reality showed up and after several adjustments it is working wonderfully! I will never go back to not using VR for this program.

To quote Grouch Marx, "Its so simple a 4 year old could do it...Somebody go find me a 4 years old!"

Thanks Again!