Sign in to follow this  
CanadaOne

Partial install for better FPS?

Is it possible to do a partial install (or post-install deletion of files)of FSX for better performance?99.9% of my flying is in North America. Is there any advantage to getting rid of all other scenery you never use? I'd be happy to run FSX North America only with a few add-ons.Thanks.

that would most likely "not" give you a boost in anything except hard drive free space.allen

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm about to do a fresh install and am looking for anything that will give me an FPS boost. I have FSX running nicely, but I'll take any gravy I can get.What about add-ons, planes or scenery, that are not being used but are installed, do they eat up any performance even when you're not using them?(Sorry if this sounds boobish-noobish, but I'm just a guy in the woods, eh?)

You will probably want the world grid map from the Terrain SDK to see which areas to unselect - Environment KitTerrain SDKTerrain ImagesBaseGrid.jpgAnd if you fly into an area where the scenery is not active by mistake - it won't be pleasant.But the scenery folders are pretty easy to understand.The first two digits are the horizontal grid reference. The last two digits are the vertical grid reference.The grids north of the equator from north to south end in the two digits:xx00xx01xx02xx03The grids west to east from the 180 line are:00xx01xx02xx03xx04xxThe majority of Alaska and Canada are in:0000, 0001, 0100, 0101, 0200, 0201, 0300, 0301 - though most of the US north of 45N is in the xx01 files.Greenland in 0400 and the southern tip of Greenland and Newfoundland in 0401The west coast south of 45N is in 0102 - with most of the US and northern Mexico in 0202. East of the Mississippi is in 0302.Southern Mexico in 0203 and most of the Caribbean and South America above the equator in 0303 with a little in 0403.

Thanks. I just did a fresh install of FSX onto it's very own HD, all nice and clean with nothing but the essetial add-ons. FEX, UTX-Canada, Genesis mesh, that sort of thing. It should run well enough. But if not, I'll look into what you wrote. Thanks again.