Sign in to follow this  
kholt

Converting pop out to system window cuts FPS over 50%

If I open a pop out from say a Garmin 530, initially it has no effect on FPS.  However, as soon as I click the little rectangles on the upper right corner to convert it to a system window, the FPS is cut by just over 50%.  This happens with the window still located on the primary monitor.

I am running XP12 on Windows11.  I have two 4K monitors at 120 Hz and V-Sync is enabled on both.  XP12 however is configured to only use one monitor in windowed mode.  The second is currently only used for Navigraph and other utilities.  My graphics card is an NVIDIA 3080Ti and the CPU is an AMD 5950X.  My graphics settings are maxed out except for the number of world objects, vegetation density and the anti-aliasing.  I get about 50 FPS until I convert the 530 pop out to a system window.  Then the monitor flashes black a number of times and the FPS eventually settles down to about 23 or so.

I care about this because eventually I’d like to get a RealSimGear GNS530 or one of several manufacturers G1000 bezels.  They all require dragging the pop up to the dedicated device screen.  This won’t work based on my current experience.

I have found reports of similar behavior in old forums going back to XP10 and XP11.  However, I haven’t seen any clear resolution of these issues.  I haven’t yet found any reports related to XP12 with a fix either.

Edited by kholt
wrong terminology, changed pop up to pop out

@kholt if you would bother to read what laminar is doing, they are currently sorting out performance issues and other bugs, they cant fix higher res monitor issues untill they have a baseline set. It takes time creating a ground up flightsim engine, and if you dont file a bug report,nit may never get addressed.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

@kholt if you would bother to read what laminar is doing, they are currently sorting out performance issues and other bugs, they cant fix higher res monitor issues untill they have a baseline set. It takes time creating a ground up flightsim engine, and if you dont file a bug report,nit may never get addressed.

I always love these forums.  You ask for help and immediately get snarky comments saying your question is stupid, even though the responder has nothing meaningful to add or any clue as to how to help.  Your response is a perfect example of why I rarely frequent online forums.  I find the snarky commenters usually have a very high post count - as if they don’t have a real life or anything better to do.

What exactly is the statement “if you would bother to read…” supposed to imply?  Do you care to rephrase your language to dial down the condescending tone a few notches?  The rest of your comment is also borderline obnoxious.  Please don’t contribute further to this discussion, I don’t want your help.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Thanks for the link.  But is it a bug?  I haven’t come to that conclusion yet even though it kinda seems like it.  On the other hand it wouldn’t be the first time if I was trying to do something that wasn’t supported or I misunderstood how it was supposed to work.  I’ll certainly submit this if no fix becomes  apparent from my end.

32 minutes ago, kholt said:

What exactly is the statement “if you would bother to read…”

If people actually bothered to read what laminar is Doing, especially with all there current betas, than maybe they would understand and and know to submit bug reports. But few do. Very few.

26 minutes ago, kholt said:

Thanks for the link.  But is it a bug?  I haven’t come to that conclusion yet even though it kinda seems like it.  On the other hand it wouldn’t be the first time if I was trying to do something that wasn’t supported or I misunderstood how it was supposed to work.  I’ll certainly submit this if no fix becomes  apparent from my end.

I would say fps dropping 50% when you pop out the window is not something to expect.

Finding the exact cause goes a long way to helping fix it, but the reply you get from the bug report form will be the best source of info on what they know already, or they will request additional info if they dont know and cant recreate it.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

Have you tried with v-sync disabled in X-Plane settings?

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

Have you tried with v-sync disabled in X-Plane settings?

Ah, yes!  If I turn off V-Sync AND turn down the native refresh rate of my monitor in Windows11 control panel to 60 Hz the FPS loss only drops me from 50 to about 40.  Also the initial black screen flashes that occur several times no longer occur.

Funny, I thought V-Sync was supposed to help resolve these sorts of problems, not create them!  I can certainly live with the 60 Hz screen refresh so now I have a good workaround.  I am lucky enough to have 4K monitors with 144 Hz refresh and I assumed, with V-Sync, that applications would be cool with that.  I guess I was wrong, at least in regards to X-Plane12.

With this information I should be able to file a useful bug report to Laminar Research that they can reproduce.

Thank you for the tip!!

P.S.,

I’ve never used Windows much until I recently built up a sim rig for XP12 and maybe MSFS 2020.  My daily drivers are MacOS X (for photography) and Linux (for business).  I apparently have a bit to learn when it comes to graphics performance tuning in the Windows world (I am also not a gamer).  All the NVIDIA settings are a bit daunting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I use pop-out and vsync but not have this issue

However if I limit the FPS via NV control panel, both P3D and XP11/12 will "add-up" it's FPS across all windows it opened. thus if I limit FPS to 60 with 4 windows open, I'll only got 15 FPS maximum.

I ended up only use P3D's own FPS limiter and none for XP, so far it works without other issue (except any 3rd part FPS counter will still report the added-up FPS on their OSD)