Sign in to follow this  
catonthemat

Microsoft Store and Windows 11

Hello guys,
           I thought I'd post this in this forum as the only reason I signed up to the Microsoft Store in the first place was to purchase MSFS, and maybe someone here has had the same problem in the past and can help.

I have been using MSFS since the very early betas without any problems on my old Windows 10 pc. I could download any app updates through the store very quickly and easily.

A few days ago I got a new computer with Windows 11 as the operating system, and now when trying to update my library of apps via the Store, although signed in with the same username and password, it takes forever to start any downloads. I have at the moment 32 apps that need updates, but most just sit there pending, with the little blue circle spinning around, and even when it starts to update the first of them, the speed is unbelievably slow like a few k every hour. I'll need to leave the computer running nonstop for about 6 months to download them all.

My internet connection is fine, I can download at over 270Mbs. Steam games download very quickly, it's just the Microsoft Store that I'm having this problem with.

The things I have tried are:

Updating Windows.
Signing out and then in again to the Store.
Resetting the Store.
Using the Troubleshooter  (says it's fine).
Reinstalling the Store using Powershell.

Went back to old pc and tried again no problem, so it's not the Store, just something on my end. 

At the moment the only thing I can think of is just giving up on it and repurchasing via Steam. It would mean losing all my aircraft and airports bought via the Marketplace, and I have bought quite a few, but would solve the problem.

Can anyone tell me if getting the sim on Steam bypasses the Microsoft Store completely? Could I download all updates via the Steam interface without having to go anywhere near the Store?

Any help gratefully received!

go check windows update/advanced options/delivery optimization/advanced options , do some pocking around check out some youtube videos about settings in there 

• Like 1

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Hi sonny, will have a look later to see if I can found anything out, although I do have the Absolute bandwidth button highlighted in those options settings, so I don't think I'm restricting the bandwidth any.

have you tried resetting your network adaptor ?

• Like 1

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer iii 360 AIO  . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

No, where would I find that? I have both iPv4 and iPv6 ticked in he network connection properties page

Edited by catonthemat
added more

There might be plenty of causes and solutions. I found this when I searched for the issue: Microsoft Store is downloading and updating apps very slow - Microsoft Community

Apart from resetting the Store cache which you probably have done already it mentions changing the network side of things.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

6 hours ago, catonthemat said:

No, where would I find that? I have both iPv4 and iPv6 ticked in he network connection properties page

network and settings/advanced network settings/network reset 

• Like 1

I literally had the same problem yesterday when I tried to set up my new Windows 11 PC. After hours of trying the most commonly suggested solutions online, the niche suggestion in the first reply in this Reddit thread solved this issue for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsinsiders/comments/td77c8/ms_store_win_update_extremely_slow_download_speed/. Hope it helps!

• Like 1

Unlikely but can't hurt to try. Might help?

1. Disable and run anti-virus, and flush dns cache (google)
2. Follow AI suggestion (I use Steam):
-Reset Microsoft Store:
-Open Settings.
-Go to Apps > Apps & features.
-On the right side, look for Microsoft Store and click it.
-The advanced options link will appear. Click it.
-On the next page, click on the Reset button to reset Microsoft Store to default settings.

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Just dont jump at using the steam version like i did. Issues with one DLC addon airport in Steam whereas the store version just works.

Edited by 40track
  • Like 1

Not sure what your MS store issue could be BUT I have Windows 11 and the MS store version of MSFS .... and MSFS2020 hasn't been listed in the MS store for ages... all MSFS2020 installs/updates are now in the Xbox app! Log into the xbox app (with the is you used to buy msfs2020) and you should see msfs2020 in your library. Any updates, installs can be done from there, not the MS store.

• Like 2

I personally find the MS Store/Xbox App duality to be extremely confusing. Whenever I've needed to reinstall MSFS, I invariably waste fifteen minutes desperately trying to locate the files to download.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Thank you very much everyone for your suggestions. Especially to @a319captain! I read that link for Reddit, tried it AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!! What a great forum this is!

Thanks again guys!!