Sign in to follow this  
Rune-ENHD

Black Shark AI improvements ? MSFS 2020/2024 vote

Hi, Guys & Gals 😃

FYI , For those of you who run The MSFS2020 sim with Bing-satelite imagery and the online features BUT running it *without* the Photogrametry(ie, bad performance/ dark gray apocalypse look, or simply not avaliable in country/region)??

IF you would like to see some improvement happening with BlackShark AI-Tech?

I have created a wishlist-VOTE over on the official forum!

I Appreciate if you could please take a look? or cast your VOTE for it? Thanks 😃

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/improvments-to-black-shark-ai/608631/1

Edited by Rune-ENHD

Those running PG on (like me) would certainly also benefit from improved Blackshark technology. Actually, photogrammetry areas are quite limited and most of the world is covered by Satellite maps augmented by Blackshark objects in any case.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Great, Thanks! Michael 😊

What Internet speed do you use for your Photogrametry solution? 

Is there "a trick" to see IF you have *what it takes* from MSFS for for having "proper" rendering and not the melted building/apocalypse look from your internet/Fiber connection provider? 

Thanks

Rune

I have a 100 MB/s connection, which, however, is never exhausted by MSFS. I made a lot of experimenting with PG early in the MSFS days (cache, LOD etc.)The main result was, there are areas just horrible - like London - and others  - like Tokyo - looking pretty good. I "feel" issues are mostly in the raw data and/or processing and not on our ends (but I might be wrong therein).

I don't know any trick to make London PG look really good yet.

One tip which might help a bit is zoom setting (which is one of the often neglected performance settings). Lowering zoom makes PG display a bit better.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks Michael, ☺️👍 I also have similar Internet connection I think it's roughly about 100-150mbit I'm little bit unsure about it? I got the impression about this sim needed very high FIBER/DSL Connection speeds to have *Good* photogrammery service ?I heard of people having trobles even with as high as 400-500mbit and you woud need a 800-900mbit for perfekt Photogrametry..??

If there where *many Photogrametry areas* instead of none("0") in Norway, I would be tempted to try it out..  😊 

But it could also be that your placement in Germany in the EU has a better Ping towards the Microsoft Servers? That some Main Azure servers are based in EU? or something 🤔

Edited by Rune-ENHD

Usually, MSFS throws a message when data traffic can't keep up with its needs. I had this a couple of times a year ago (or so), but there was something broken in the sim at that time and a lot of people reported this message.

It's long gone for me since and I never saw it ago (nor am I eager to see it again).

I won't exclude that Internet speed/ping can make PG worse, it also depends on your settings, but from what I read and learned myself there seems to be kind of a barrier where Internet speed doesn't improve things any further.

There are a number of interesting topics on the Official forum already, e.g.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/please-fix-photogrammetry-and-or-lod/279217

although it requires some patience to read in hindsight.

Another annoying "feature" of PF is the color-mismatch to the surrounding.

Besides, there are PG areas being clearly just broken. Vancouver and Toronto come to my mind - which once looked pretty good! On the other hand, Paris looks quite nice on my system (as long as I don't fly at 200ft AGL).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Blackshark was involved in implanting the autogen buildings, with shape and shadow recognition from imagery. Unfortunately, it seems that it has not been an ongoing involvement. Much is left to correct some obvious algorithmic misinterpretations like the numerous multistorey building we see everywhere. 

My understanding is that they were not involved in the PG.The low res of PG buildings is still a mystery. One can suspect the servers first  (one’s and Azure’s) but I also wonder whether it is not intentional as the load of perfect PG might bring the simulation into the one-digit territory in most machines, including in the low-end S XBox (or my old machine 😁).

In several departments, FS20 brought us, three years ago, new and interesting developments in flight simulation which were not altogether ready for prime time. And they give priority to an incessant flow of new contents in the scenery department (WU).

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Based on this now 3 year old video from the MSFS partner series (start watching at about 3:37), blackshark.ai combined with Azure servers had the ability to rescan the entire planet in 72 hours and it only took 30 minutes to deploy an updated algorithm across their entire fleet. Based on those claims, I thought the ai buildings and trees in MSFS would be frequently updated and improved, but that has obviously not been the case. Some of the same issues that where even called out in the Alpha and Beta versions still exist today. Hopefully they will address those shortcomings in MSFS 2024.

• Like 2

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, turnandbank said:

Hopefully they will address those shortcomings in MSFS 2024.

"hopefully" indeed 😉

Anyway its a pity that Blackshark doesn't seem to be a MSFS strategic partner but rather a one-shot service provider. Early on, Asobo said their goal was a "Twin Earth " product. It seems they have reduced their ambitions a bit..

Others work on this Twin Earth concept with BS.ai See  here Maxar Invests in Blackshark.ai to Boost 3D Geospatial Offering - Via Satellite (satellitetoday.com) .  

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

22 hours ago, Rune-ENHD said:

Is there "a trick" to see IF you have *what it takes* from MSFS for for having "proper" rendering and not the melted building/apocalypse look from your internet/Fiber connection provider? 

I also believe the melted building problem is at the MS/Asobo end.. You can park a plane next to some of the melted buildings and they do not improve over time.. 😉

• Like 3

Bert

41 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I also believe the melted building problem is at the MS/Asobo end.. You can park a plane next to some of the melted buildings and they do not improve over time.. 😉

Hmm interesting 🤔 yup there are ups/downs to this Server-based sim (it is GORGEOUSLY BEAUTIFULL , but also "frustrating")??

Kind of frustrating when you can't really troubleshoot at your end! There is always a possibility "that the problem" lies somewhere else "Server side" and NOT on clients computer.. 😒🤔🤔😳 We users CAN'T fix those problems...sadly and it will drive us mad.. 😱😱 

Now please don't misunderstand me, 😃 I'm trying to talk/discuss more in general. And not really about problems on my side.

I have not had "that many problems" with the sim (just installer issues), and general features not working *as best it can" Also I have not used the sim "that much" yet.. ☺️

So "this" incarnation of the sim has been good to me so far "knock on wood" 👍

I had way more issues in the past with older sims.. 😂 

So MSFS2020 is "quite stable"

I don't want to paint a picture that MSFS2020 is bad... 😲😲 that would be wrong, when they gave us the best they could in 2019...

Edited by Rune-ENHD
  • Like 1