Sign in to follow this  
Guest mau01

Acceleration crashes upon accessing menu bar

Guest JIMJAM

I started a tread earlier about this very problem.The only other who has came forward has a 7900gt. I have a 7900gtx.I gave up trying to solve it and just use the keyboard to open the menus.So far, its totally random when the sim freezes.This has never happended to me before deceleration. Ahh acceleration.I am pretty conditioned to having problems with computer games and expect it.I just cannot remember having a mouse command trigering a hard crash before.Hopefully someone will stumble apon our post and have a answer.

Guest azflyboy

I think I'm the other guy that JimJam was talking about. I also have a 7900 series card, and like you, I have the lockups.From a lot of trial and error, I figured out a solution that seems to work around the issue. Before accessing a menu, first pause FSX, then access the menus via the keyboard. Alternatively, you can bring FSX into windowed mode (assuming you run full screen normally), and then access the menus, which also seems to prevent the lockups.From what I've seen here, it looks like there is some kind of incompatibility issue with the Nvidia 7900 family and Acceleration which switching drivers around doesn't seem to solve, so hopefully either MS or Nvidia will issue some kind of fix at some point.

Guest n99wb

7600GT and I have it too. Also can crash if I just hit ";" to save.But the pause workaround worked.

It would help when posting about problems if you would state whatoperating system you are using...XP or Vista...and which flavor.... Paul

Wide-5.jpg

I apologize for not seeing the earlier post on this problem. Apart from having cluttered up the forum, had I done so I'd have saved myself the entire day and 4 uninstalls and reinstalls trying to isolate the problem. I'd been watching the forum for insights before installing Acceleration and just missed it. I really appreciate your all taking the time to repeat your findings.The 2 workarounds mentioned indeed work for me. I can either use key commands to navigate the menus or shift into windowed mode. It would really be great if someone with this problem had an extra video card around that isn't a 7900 series and could swap it in to see if that eliminated the problem. If not, then we've got to look elsewhere.In response to Paul, I'm running XP Home SP2.Thanks again for all the input.Robert

Guest JIMJAM

XP Home SP2 here.I was on final from a short 125m ifr flight when I switch from the vr pit to the 2d. LLLLLOOOOCK UP.......Now Im mad. Menus I got around but now I can have at any moment a total freeze.So from something that worked to something that does not.And the guys who paid through the a** for the latest greatest dx10 hardware got something that 1/2 way works.If I can finish most of the missions and do a few carrier landings, Im afaid Acceleration is on its way to the recycle bin.Looking forward to FS11 already.

I just posted about this in the CTD forum. Sorry I hadn't seen this thread.I am running 7800GT with new drivers on AMD 64X2 4200 Win.XP SP2.Never had a CTD until install of Acceleration.Run in full screen, access menu using Alt. key, CTD.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Guest RayMor

I'm having the same CTDs. I just uninstalled acceleration until Aces or Nvida can come up with a fix. I'm runnug XP sp2 on a 7950GX2.Ray

Just had another CTD. This time while flying the FA18, opened the GPS window using Shift-3 and entered a Direct flight to KEYW. As soon as I clicked the mouse button to enter and activate, CTD.Sure would like to see a fix for these problems posthaste. Hate to see such a good add-on failing like this.Looks like it has something to do with opening other windows and using the mouse in them.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Guest JIMJAM

Keeping this thread alive.Anybody have any success or at least figure out whats causing our CTD and lock ups on what appears to be 7 series nvidia cards cards?7900gtx logitech mouse/keyboardasus mob 2 gigs hyperx AMD fx-62 dual coreIm still getting lock ups when I access the menu in flight.Ive also locked up when shift number to open panels.

As I said above:"It would really be great if someone with this problem had an extra video card around that isn't a 7900 series and could swap it in to see if that eliminated the problem. If not, then we've got to look elsewhere."Additionally, I and many others are also reporting no daytime panel lights in most of the default planes. This may also be a 7900 series problem and it would be nice to know if there's a common cause here as well.Robert

Guest Gizmo

Hi All Just thought i register to let you guys know that im running an 8800GTS 640mb(in DX9 on a core duo2 6800E 2gig ram XP home) and that ive been through about 5 different driver sets trying to cure this mouse menu access problem & nothing works i even went back to the sets they dev'ed on (pre 16x.xx)to see if that would fix it and it does'nt.....btw before someone ask's yes cleaned using driver cleaner in safe mode and then deleted the nvidia FSX profile and remade for each test i also tryed letting fsx rebuild its config file for each set i tested..While trying to find a fix for this issue i came across a post over at simviation that i'll copy and paste here ------------------------------------------------------------------------posted by macca22auBut at the Australian flightsim convention today I heard that there was an sp2a to come as SP2 has in someway affected the functionality of the menu system in FSX.------------------------------------------------------------------------We are not alone in having this problem ive seen many posts about it over ever major and minor FS forum....i wonder how this one(and a whole host of other problems)slipped past the beta testers? maybe they were all to busy posting screenshots and feeding the hype machine...I might have missed it but it would be nice if Aces could confirm that they know about this problem and (if its not a driver problem)will they let us know what they attend to do about it? will they hot fix it or will they make us wait till the free Sp2 download goes live?

Gizmo, thanks a lot for reporting your findings, as well as the extent of your investigation. This sure broadens the possible sources of the problem. I too wonder how the beta testing missed this one. I can only conclude that the problem must be a confluence of several factors, only one of which now appears to be an nVidia card.Robert

Guest JIMJAM

Yeah Im getting a little tired of all the time spent on eye candy and gee wizzz look at that.Moving shadows,wet runways,a coat of shine on everything means nothing to me.Being able to run reasonable settings,get a nice looking picture and actually being able to FLY from point A to B without wondering if I will be able to make it without the computer freezing.Now thats a add on worth buying.PS- Not angry and Im glad Aces are looking into the problem. Its just after a year I still have FS9 loaded, still occasionally buying add ons for it and fly it 50% of the time.Time to quit screwing with FSX, write it off and start working on fs11.

>Gizmo, thanks a lot for reporting your findings, as well as>the extent of your investigation. This sure broadens the>possible sources of the problem. I too wonder how the beta>testing missed this one. I can only conclude that the problem>must be a confluence of several factors, only one of which now>appears to be an nVidia card.Why is there always the "assumption" that something slipped past the beta testers?Beta testers report problems. The developers (ACES) either fix them or not. That's their call.After the beta cycle (however many there are) is completed, beta testers don't see the final results until everyone else does...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator