Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Up and down the stairs to save your life.

https://studyfinds.org/taking-stairs-ascvd-heart-disease/

Being sedentary causes dementia and heart attacks and diabetes. If you live in a multi story house: up and down the stairs 4 or 5 times every two hours or so. No more health issues caused by sitting at a computer playing flightsims.

No stairs? Buy a stair climber exercise machine. It only takes 2 minutes or so every couple hours.

-------

Timer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711F3L28/

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

But, for old farts particularly (like me), there are some other things that may need to be considered:

https://www.emedihealth.com/wellness/fitness/disadvantages-climbing-stairs

Doug

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Yep and don't forget resistance training. Muscular hypertrophy is your friend. Glucose in excess is stored in the muscles rather than the blood stream.

Sarcopenia, the loss of muscle mass as we age is bad news. Muscle burns calories even at rest. So as we lose muscle mass we gain body fat.

I was a fanatical weight trainer in the past but hadn't trained seriously for many years. So recently started training with tubes and bands.

I always regarded tubes and bands as useless for hypertrophy, boy was I wrong. If you know what you are doing you can get a very effective workout. In fact  I love the resistance curve of bands. Resistance increases the more you stretch them so you get great peak contraction and max motor unit recruitment. Mechanical tension is the name of the game.

At 65 with naturally lower testosterone I expected no gains just maintainance, I was wrong, I've gained measurable mass in biceps and triceps and elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting topic for a flight sim site! 

I'm 71 (huh?) and have been very active, fit, and pretty healthy most of my life. Last winter I started gaining weight, became somewhat lethargic and experienced little motivation. In April I began a routine consisting of stretching, light weight workouts, and walking about 2 miles (hilly terrain here in Vermont) most days. What a difference it has made. Everything I do is so much easier than say a year ago. I also have made adjustments to my diet. And I've gained some muscle mass back too, but I never was interested in being 'muscle bound'. Being retired I have no excuses not to devote some time every day (almost anyway) to body and mind maintenance. Also flight simming, done right, keeps my brain from going to mush. 😀 

I have some of those bands but never made it part of my routine. Thanks, I may give them a try.           

• Like 1

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

13 hours ago, Chocorua said:

Interesting topic for a flight sim site! 

Its the Hangar.

Anything is permissible for discussion as long as its not controversial like politics or climate change. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Walk the stars as long as you can boys and girls. One interesting characteristic of the so called "Blue Zones" is that they are often locations that are hilly and climbing stars and hills is part of life.

And yes, resistance training is also VERY important to hold back sarcopenia. But take it easy at first and learn how to do they exercises properly. Equally important, learn about proper program construction and how close to momentary muscular failure you need to go and what sort of frequency. And check with your Doc first if you are older.

Edited by martin-w

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Its the Hangar.

Anything is permissible for discussion as long as its not controversial like politics or climate change. 

It was meant as a compliment. Perhaps I should have phrased it differently, as in 'refreshing'. 

Cheers,     

• Upvote 1

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

1 hour ago, Chocorua said:

It was meant as a compliment. Perhaps I should have phrased it differently, as in 'refreshing'. 

Cheers,     

Oh right, understood. 👍