Sign in to follow this  
AndyEG

Mega Airport Heathrow FSX/Dublin FSX - Memory Problems

Good evening,

these two airports are installed on my fsx. Developer is Aerosoft - and only these two airports cause the lack of memory announcing while final approaching.

FSX SP 2 is installed.

Other Airports - such as Munich etc. - work properly, even with demanding environment such as VFR Germany, without this lack of memory problem, also with highly detailed aircraft,

for example Aerosoft's Airbus A 320.

Any ideas for remedy?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

What percentage is your AI traffic set at?  Same with airport vehicles.  Out of memory is due to VAS and not your physical amount of memory installed.   I assume you are using Win11?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Oh - good morning! Thanks for quick request. Just finished a simulation from EIDW to EDDL. Closed ("clicking it away")the message box and could finish the approach.

Szenery was blurry and airport Details missing. Percentage of AI-Traffic42 %. I use Steve's DX10 Fixer with good results - only EIDW and EGLL cause problems.

First of all, good night.🥱

...hello charliearon - nice video - my settings are:

Inital Memory/Buffer-Size: 80.000

Max. Size: 100000

Unfortunately there is no (positive) effect.

I try to change the scenery-settings - from extremly dense to very dense etc. .....

All versions of FSX are 32-bit and that means it can use no more than 4 GB of RAM, that is its Virtual Address Space limitation.  The boxed versions of FSX are pretty bad at cleaning up the VAS, so departure airport area plus all the areas you overfly plus AI traffic and weather tend to be retained in the VAS, so when your arrival airport scenery begins to load, there may be insufficient VAS for fast or complete loading.  The result is blurry textures or a crash to the desktop and this issue is more pronounced with airport and scenery that is highly detailed.  With the FSX Steam Edition, pretty much all of the cfg tweaks were included and the program code was improved and recompiled, the result is a version of FSX that is much better at managing its limited VAS. 

Edited by stans
  • Upvote 3

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 11/1/2023 at 9:07 PM, AndyEG said:

Any ideas for remedy?

Hi Andy,

Aerosoft's EGLL and EIDW (surprisingly as it is not a huge airport) each have big VAS footprints so trying to fly between the two even in an aircraft with a moderate VAS demand such as the Aerosoft A320 can prove challenging in FSX for the reasons explained by Stans above.

When I fly between airports such as these in FSX, I use a scenery configurator to deactivate any other scenery addons which I do not need (other addon airports, Orbx regions etc). I have the excellent payware SimStarter NG configurator but unfortunately this is no longer available to purchase for FSX although I think there are some freeware scenery configurators available (I have no experience of these however).  In addition, with very resource heavy airports, I tend to reduce the AI sliders to zero as AI can use a considerable amount of memory and although it can leave airports looking a little empty, I find this preferable to getting an out of memory message. 

By the way, instead of just trying various tweaks, if you haven't already done so, I can highly recommend downloading the Avsim Basic FSX Configuration guide and following the advice given in it step by step to optimise your setup.

Cheers,

Bill

Edited by scianoir

Andy,

As well as AI contribution, there are other settings you can adjust to lower the VAS footprint including reducing the Global texture resolution. I would reduce this to 1024 if set higher and also try lowering any autogen scenery settings. Also in the FSX cfg make sure your LOD radius is set to 4.5 and nothing higher as this will also consume additional resources.

And if you have any weather/cloud texture addon installed by chance, those textures can also contribute to consuming VAS. If you do have one installed, try lowering the cloud texture resolution as well.

It is possible to run the Aerosoft A320 at EGLL with moderate settings and limited stuttering but it requires fine-tuning of your FSX settings. 42% AI at EGLL sounds quite high to me. Dial it back to 1/2 that value.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!