Sign in to follow this  
flyinmaninmn

Scenery Building

Hi There-

I would like to know of what programs a person uses to make airport scenery or scenery in general? I have lots of time on my hands and would like to

learn how to design or move objects or make new ones for certain spots at an airports. I have asked many people but to no avail. If someone or some

people could let me know how to do it. I have seen many airports that have many things added to them, and the person either mostly adds objects around

the airport to make it look better. What program do you need besides ADE do I need or just want for extras?

Edited by flyinmaninmn

A good start will be fsdeveloper.com. Lots of information about making scenery. There is a good tutorial series by Bill Womack. The link to his series: Video Tutorial Series for Creating Scenery with Blender | FSDeveloper

He uses Blender to make scenery. Blender is a free 3D modelling program. But keep in mind that creating scenery has a long learning curve. It takes quite some time to master a program like Blender. On the other hand if you have lots of time, you can do it. I am in the same position; early retirement since November 1st, and want to start to develop for P3D.

There are also other useful programs like ADE, GIMP, ModelconverterX and Sbuilder. And the best, it's all free!!

Regards,

Rein

3 hours ago, flyinmaninmn said:

I would like to know of what programs a person uses to make airport scenery

Hi,

Flight 1 have two payware products which might help you - Instant Scenery and AFX (Airport Facilitator X). You should be aware however that they only work with FSX SP2 and not the FSX Steam edition.

Bill

On 12/15/2023 at 10:02 AM, flyinmaninmn said:

Hi There-

I would like to know of what programs a person uses to make airport scenery or scenery in general? I have lots of time on my hands and would like to

Just to add to this, if you have FSX Deluxe, there is a FSX Gmax gamepack that came with it. This also allows you to create 3D models that can be imported into FSX and the like.

Moving scenery objects from one place to another can be achieved by opening the main scenery file (known as an AFCAD file)  which is usually a .bgl file that can be opened using ADE and moving the object to a different position, recompiling the scenery back into a .BGL file and placing that in your scenery folder.

Creating objects requires you to first utilize another 3D modelling add-on as suggested above. To start with, I would recommend downloading some of the FSX object library packages from Avsim library and play around with inserting different objects into an existing scenery.

Once you have mastered that part then the learning curve can begin with creating your own sim objects.

ADE will also allow you to move or create and label new taxiways, insert basic taxiway signage, add runways, adjust ILS frequencies as well as placing additional sim objects to make your scenery come to life.

One of the best resources for learning about this is the FS Developer site and forums. For example,

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php/Exporting_a_GMax_object_into_FSX#Show_your_Gmax_model_in_FsX

I hope this info is useful and wish you luck on starting your own project.

Regards
Mark

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Thank you 787 Flyer. Like with anything, Playing Guitar, Learning to Waterski, Plating Sports, etc. all take practice before you can do them well on your own. Can Rwy. 12 be of any help. I don't have to make stuff. There's objects available here on AVSIM that work with the program and all you have to do is select where you want it to go and place your object. I think that would be a better idea in the long run. Do you know of anybody that can make static objects for the Rwy. 12 placer? Please Let Me Know. Thanks!

Lee