Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Mesh alternatives...

Whenever I restart "flying" in XP I stump directly into mesh inconsistencies like the 02/20 runway at LPPT being canted to the West so that when an aircraft lands there the AH clearly shows the inclination and that not only looks ugly but also creates problems with the landing and taxiing,and when I operate from Madeira - LPMA - the slope in the runway is as big as a camel hump 😕 and even the parking area is so slanted that it's difficult to operate there...

Up to XP11 I could use that option for scenery flattening, but it is no longer available 😞

What are the alternatives ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

You could create your own ortho tile using Ortho4XP, this will probably do a better job than the default scenery on smoothing things out

Other than that, there aren't really many higher detailed options for Portugal (I think UHD Spain have an ortho/mesh that covers the Iberican peninsular, so maybe that is worth a try)

https://www.spainuhd.es/p/descarga.html

Edit: Just checked SpainUHD.. it's pretty broken in XP12 sorry 

• Like 1

Check if there are dataref to flatten runways.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

The Orbx sceneries for X-Plane11 do work in X-Pane12 but the Orbx mesh is not recognize all the times and creates conflicts

I once tried the Taburet mesh in X-Plane 11 (highly inaccurate)

What X-Plane needs is a (Pilot`s global mesh 2024 for P3D) with better results  than MSFS 

This subject has been brought up many times recently

Question:

Is X-Plane 12 scenery capable of a higher density mesh or we have to wait to future X-Plane release ?

Best

Stef

• Like 1

Intel x299 I7 7820  OC @ 4.7 Ghz   Win10 pro 64

Gigabyte gaming 9  Nvidia 1080ti  11GB

Thermaltake level 10 Corsair H1100 h2o cooling

64 GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz

Ch Rudder,Yoke,&Stick Itra flightboard 2000

Well, "Wonderful Madeira", free from the .org, is just fine and fixed the rather irritating and overdone terrain cant and slope of rw 05/23, and the two tiles I downloaded from SpainUHD made Lisbon shine, with lots of details, buildings and infrastructures that lookeven better than SimHeaven, a lot better, and it fixes the 02/20 stupid East-West cant that makes artificial horizons show it, but, I didn't read Tony's remark and indeed I got a lot of weirdiness over river Tagus, with strange polygons popping out here & there 😞

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/271975-ortho/&do=findComment&comment=2401969

I will probably have to give up on SpainIUHD and find some alternative, maybe again SimHeaven.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

10 hours ago, Stefti said:

The Orbx sceneries for X-Plane11 do work in X-Pane12 but the Orbx mesh is not recognize all the times and creates conflicts

You'll have to tell me more about this. XP11 scenery should mostly just work in XP12 apart from the water, seasons and some other items. I've updated TrueEarth GB to X-Plane 12 which is in beta testing at the moment. I've never heard about a mesh not being recognised at all, so if you have examples, please let me know. thanks

10 hours ago, Stefti said:

Is X-Plane 12 scenery capable of a higher density mesh or we have to wait to future X-Plane release 

It has the same capabilities as X-Plane 11 and even 10 in this regard.. Devs can make the mesh as detailed as they want, it's all baked into the triangular mesh data. The mesh detail should be identical for the same sceneries between 11 and 12, there is nothing needed by LR to do here, it's up to the scenery developers

• Like 1

Hello Tonywob

I`m using the Socal HD orbx

I haven`t  flown too much but here are some good and not so good examples 

but after watching you tube landing in French valley F70 or bermuda dunes  KUDD in Palm Springs

The curvature of the runways are excessive  maily in french valley F70 with dips in the middle of the runway

Otherwise L18 (Fallbrook ) is a real life couterpart 

Not too bad but it shows the new mesh interfering  with the surrounding area

If I see a problematic airport  I`Il let you know

Best

Stef

Edited by Stefti
  • Upvote 1

I would recommend using MUXP to fix most airport mesh issues (except some unfortunate tile-crossing airports), it's a very capable tool for updating both default and custom mesh files.

• Like 1

Thank you Tsulon Li!