Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Map Enhancement

How do I use the Map Enhancement software? It says to click on START, and the status will change to STARTED. However, I only see "calculating...." in the bottom right hand corner, with "Load 0" and "Write 0". I have selected BING (LATEST) as the server. What am I doing wrong?? :huh: Or is it waiting for me to run MSFS?

I need this to be able to fly from UK2000 EGNS Isle of Man, because those lime green and purple textures that load at low altitude are an abomination.

EDIT: On a side note....why is MSFS not using the latest Bing images automatically?

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

How do I use the Map Enhancement software? It says to click on START, and the status will change to STARTED. However, I only see "calculating...." in the bottom right hand corner, with "Load 0" and "Write 0". I have selected BING (LATEST) as the server. What am I doing wrong?? :huh: Or is it waiting for me to run MSFS?

I need this to be able to fly from UK2000 EGNS Isle of Man, because those lime green and purple textures that load at low altitude are an abomination.

EDIT: On a side note....why is MSFS not using the latest Bing images automatically?

When Map Enhancement is running, start MSFS. You won't see anything else happening, it just works in the background. At the end of your flight and you close MSFS you should see the number of images it has downloaded and used during your fight. Then you close the app.

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

That is what I did with the Bing (Latest) images, but when I was departing EGNS Isle of Man, I noticed a couple of tiles that appeared darker on the terrain, and these changed position as I moved. I have no idea if this is related to the Isle of Man texture problem, or something else....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Yes, tiles may differ from colour. Just select a different option the next time to see what you like most. I use Google most of the times because I feel the serverspeed is better. Also, if you have DX12 selected, it may lead to some effects sometimes.

Edited by phmcr

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

That is what I did with the Bing (Latest) images, but when I was departing EGNS Isle of Man, I noticed a couple of tiles that appeared darker on the terrain, and these changed position as I moved. I have no idea if this is related to the Isle of Man texture problem, or something else....

If you start the map Enhancement prior to the sim and a flight you shouldn't see tiles changing as you fly. That is unless you are experiencing the increasingly problematic tile swapping problem which is spreading increasingly across Europe and the US. Its a Bing problem and there is a huge thread on Asobo forums about it. Using Google maps removes the issue. It's basically a ring of different LOD ground imagery around the aircraft when flying at low levels. Similar to the problem on the Isle of Man, which was one of the earliest locations noted as having a popping problem

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

17 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

Using Google maps removes the issue. 

Bing «latest» also alleviates the issue, at least around my hometown Bern. That is why I use the map enhancement tool when flying in this area. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

10 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Bing «latest» also alleviates the issue, at least around my hometown Bern. That is why I use the map enhancement tool when flying in this area. 

Yes it works in certain areas. I know in the valleys to the south east of Geneva Bing default or latest still displays problems. Corsica is apparently awful on default Bing. Asobo recognise there's a problem but I do not think they have made an official statement 

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

56 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

If you start the map Enhancement prior to the sim and a flight you shouldn't see tiles changing as you fly. That is unless you are experiencing the increasingly problematic tile swapping problem which is spreading increasingly across Europe and the US. Its a Bing problem and there is a huge thread on Asobo forums about it. Using Google maps removes the issue. It's basically a ring of different LOD ground imagery around the aircraft when flying at low levels. Similar to the problem on the Isle of Man, which was one of the earliest locations noted as having a popping problem

Do you have a link to that thread?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ah, now that is very interesting. I thought that a recent observation when landing at UK2000 KSNA John Wayne Orange County was shadows loading in very close to the plane, but it actually appears to be this tile loading problem, because what I am seeing in those videos is exactly what I saw in the simulator on my PC.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

11 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

shadows loading in very close to the plane

Dude, shadows aren't loaded. They are calculated and generated in real time.

?!?

When I say "shadows loading", I mean a distance limit beyond which shadows are not rendered. That is how it was done in P3D. However, my problem does not appear to have anything to do with shadows.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png