Sign in to follow this  
Kalnon

Orbx True Earth P3Dv5 compatible?

I'm confused about this, on Orbx Central it says "for Prepar3D v4" when I look at al Orbx TE scenery.  I asked about P3Dv5 compatibility regarding Orbx Regional scenery in the past and the Admin there told me when buying anything on Central, only buy things that actually say they are for P3Dv5 but while browsing Orbx forums after that, I noticed some people mention having Orbx TE working in P3Dv5 just fine.  I own a lot of Orbx Regional scenery (the U.K. is all I'm missing) and that all works fine.  So is Orbx TE scenery P3Dv5 compatible or isn't it?

I'm trying to decide whether to get just all the U.K. Regions or to get TE for all of Great Britain plus the Ireland & Northern Ireland Regions to have the whole U.K..

Another question: If TE is compatible, is how much harder on frame rates is it compared to the Regional scenery?

I would greatly appreciate any advice because I don't want to throw a bunch of money down the toilet on scenery that won't work.

Thanks.

At Orbx Direct, they are all labelled:
2.jpg

If you have opened Orbx Central for P3D v5, then only P3D v5 compatible
products will show.

Edited by Reader
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kalnon said:

So is Orbx TE scenery P3Dv5 compatible or isn't it?

TE scenery is compatible with V5 and says so on their website.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Kalnon said:

Another question: If TE is compatible, is how much harder on frame rates is it compared to the Regional scenery?

I found it easier on FPS than their EU scenery.

• Like 1

Thank you guys I appreciate the help.  They really need to update the text on Central than so it's not so confusing.

10 hours ago, Sparkrite said:

I found it easier on FPS than their EU scenery.

I feel the opposite myself.

It is highly detailed and therefore quite a bit more resource hungry.

I personally never considered TE, until I'd updated my workstation (see sig).

Now I'm happy with it although it does push my hardware to the limits.

I started with Florida as I wouldn't miss the snow of winter.

Cheers

PS. although TE is highly detailed, the ground photoreal poly does tend to be of the less detailed variaty, e.g. the ground polys of the freeware BlueSky sceneries are better, and MegaScenery are higher still for some areas (but of course these are flat). I guess it boils down to ROI as to what an org is willing to pay for commercially distributable polys.

Edited by Rogen
PS
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

I do have a lot of Orbx TE scenery for X-Plane 11 and I can tell the X-Plane version of TE does take a lot of PC power, especially the HD versions which you need a higher end GPU with lots of VRAM to use it.

The P3D versions of TE I don't think will be quite as hard on my PC as the X-Plane versions but I'm sure it will use more resources than the Regional scenery though.

The one thing I don't like about Orbx TE scenery is how much drive storage is required.  All the X-Plane TE areas I own take up about 800GB of space lol

It's totally worth it though just to have such beautiful scenery in my sims.

28 minutes ago, Rogen said:

PS. although TE is highly detailed, the ground photoreal poly does tend to be of the less detailed variaty, e.g. the ground polys of the freeware BlueSky sceneries are better, and MegaScenery are higher still for some areas (but of course these are flat). I guess it boils down to ROI as to what an org is willing to pay for commercially distributable polys.

I've tried MegaSceneryEarth and it's interesting but I prefer using  Orbx scenery myself.  I never heard of BllueSky before, I'll have to check that out.

Speaking of sceneries...

There is a mix type of scenery by Gibson Sceneries over at SimMarket.

It's designed to show a blend of the scenery underneth, meaning the default P3D or Orbx will show through as a blend.

The photoreal is not of high enough res for low and slow types of flying, but that's when your Orbx etc. is visable, higher up it's photoreal.

It is able to cover vast areas so when you're enroute at alititude photoreal is what you see from the cockpit.

He's released China, NT, TAS, VIC and NSW Australia, he's also done quite a number of other countries however they are not publicly available as they were contracted.

A couple of pics.

Northern Territory Australia, Orbx blend is showing at the bottom.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Victoria Australia

New South Wales Australia

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

Hmm, looks really nice, I never heard of Gibson either, I'm going to check that out too now.  Thanks @Rogen for sharing your wealth of knowledge, both here and on the FSX:SE Steam discussion board 😀

Yes, we are both one and the same 😁

Cheers

• Like 2