Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Could Resizable BAR be used with P3d?

Recommended Posts

This morning I posted about it at the MFS forum:

Resizable BAR ... - Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) - The AVSIM Community

Apparently it's not of much use in MFS, which is inherently optimised, and some of the users commented that it's only meant to be used in some programs which are ready to profit from it, and otherwise may even cause disruption, but, I wonder if any of you have tried to use it with P3D, specially starting v5 with DX12...


Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme disks, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

ReBAR should always be on. If required, it will be used if not, no harm done. Resizable BAR essentially makes the entirety of the graphics frame buffer accessible to the CPU at once, so if it needs to, it can address whatever it requires.

Mostly like a driver, it sits there for when something needs to use it.

Edited by Nuno Pinto
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Nuno Pinto said:

ReBAR should always be on. If required, it will be used if not, no harm done. Resizable BAR essentially makes the entirety of the graphics frame buffer accessible to the CPU at once, so if it needs to, it can address whatever it requires.

Mostly like a driver, it sits there for when something needs to use it.

Ah, great - will check how it is defined on my win 11 sim desktop.

I believe it has to be enabled through the BIOS if it doesn't appear as an option in the NI advanced settings?


Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme disks, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Share this post


Link to post

rBAR is in the driver settings as well. I suspect you need to enable it there, too. GPU-z should tell you if it's enabled at the hardware level.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, jcomm said:

Ah, great - will check how it is defined on my win 11 sim desktop.

I believe it has to be enabled through the BIOS if it doesn't appear as an option in the NI advanced settings?

Yes both in the BIOS and at a driver level. In the BIOS it can have multiple designations, some even refer to it as "Above 4G decoding", my BIOS clearly says "Resizable BAR support".


CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Yes both in the BIOS and at a driver level. In the BIOS it can have multiple designations, some even refer to it as "Above 4G decoding", my BIOS clearly says "Resizable BAR support".

Well, my MAG B550 Torpedo (MS-7C91) BIOS when I click to:

- enable "Re-Size BAR Support" also enables an option right bellow it named

- "Above 4G memory/Crypto Currency mining", which I then manually disabled...

After returning to Win11 the Re-Size option was still OFF :-/  but after using that great "COPILOT" friend UI found a youtube where the author explains that the other "Above 4G..." option must also be enabled for it to work :-) 


Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme disks, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, jcomm said:

After returning to Win11 the Re-Size option was still OFF 😕 but after using that great "COPILOT" friend UI found a youtube where the author explains that the other "Above 4G..." option must also be enabled for it to work 🙂 

Indeed, but that Crypto thing sounds kinda scary, eh José?


CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Nuno Pinto said:

Indeed, but that Crypto thing sounds kinda scary, eh José?

Ehehehe, indeed ...


Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme disks, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...