Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Resizable BAR ...

Posted (edited)

Resizable BAR: Reduce Lag & Stutters | Improve Performance | MSFS 2020 (youtube.com)

Yet another one... By the end of last year I became aware of:

- "Dynamic LOD", although I didn't use it yet;

- that AMD FS3 Magic that enables DLSS in my RTX 3060 Ti and I now have even better performance in MFS 2020 under DX12, even though I have to confess I only used this because "yes", given that I was more than satisfied with my overall performance...

- Now this Resizable BAR technique (?)... Still watching the video, and it came to my mind that more than MFS, P3D could probably benefit from this given the way it hammers the CPU most of the time and makes my CPU Temps rise more than what I like them to...

Feels strange to me, because at the level of scenery and weather rendering details I am getting in MFS 2020 and is 2nd to none among all the simulators I used so far MFS 2020 still performed great in my rig with DX11 until 2 days ago when I decided to enable DX12 for the FS3 trick... Yes I believe it is even better now, and instead of just enabling VSync with "FS3 DLSS"  in Nvidia Control Panel I actually use "Adaptive half VSync" and get a stable as never before 30 FPS which is more than enough for me and keeps the GPU temps lower and hence the power comsumption lower 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2, VSkylabs DC-3 and R66, LES DC-3, AWX DC-3

Tried with and without resizable BAR and didn't notice any difference.  I do have it set to on though.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

nVidia provides specific profiles for those games that benefit from resizable BAR. For example Horizon Zero Dawn, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Cyberpunk 2077, Borderlands, Forza Horizon, Metro Exodus, Dirt, Red Dead Redemption, Hitman, and Watch Dogs Legion are supported.

If a game is not officially supported, it means that either there is no performance benefit (or even degradation) or its stability is affected.

I tested it in 2021 without seeing any improvement, as of today MSFS still don't support REBAR officially.

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 

I saw no measurable improvement.  Some testers on YouTube actually reported the same or even a slight drop in performance (barely measurable - a frame or two).

My view is, as other applications can benefit, leave it on if things are stable.

• Like 3

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Posted (edited)

I did search at the forum but found no mention to it, so, I posted, but it's pretty much déjà vu... Sorry 😕

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Preferred addons: TOLISS A32N, TOGA MU-2, VSkylabs DC-3 and R66, LES DC-3, AWX DC-3

4 minutes ago, jcomm said:

I did search at the forum but found no mention to it, so, I posted, but it's pretty much déjà vu... Sorry 😕

No harm done.  I wonder if Asobo can do anything to make the setting more useful, as other applications do seem to benefit.

• Like 1

Rob (but call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind).

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Posted (edited)

Yes, I think rBAR for the most part is snake oil.   I tried it, faffing around in my BIOS and downloading NV Inspector just to try it, etc, etc and got identical performance and the usual (pretty good but not perfect) smoothness.

All a complete waste of time really.

I'm going to (try to) ignore most of these snake oil treatments from now on, for the simple fact that my MSFS is running like a dream as it is.  I got through my first year with 2020 using a GTX 1070 and still had fun.  Then a low cost upgrade to 1080Ti. A bit nicer!   Then a few weeks ago, a RTX 3080Ti and honestly, as a 1080p player that is all I need.  It's high FPS and smooth.  So there isn't really a need to mess, other than that simmers compulsion to "tweak, and see if it gets even better!".

Edited by JYW
  • Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Thank you, Mr. Fuzzy. I had trouble trying to set resizable bar in MSFS. (It did not seem to make a difference)*. Now it does a small improvement, I think.

Following the instructions from Mr. Fuzzy thread above.

spacer.png

-------------------

* It made no difference when I used the method below (the video below is what you do first to enable REbar. But then activate it in Nvidia Profile Inspector (which was not done in this video).

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

BIG THANK YOU to @Fielder and @MrFuzzy for pointing this grumpy piloteee in the right way...

BUT ! 2 things:

- In my GPU, I did have to enable in my MAG B550 Torpedo (MS-7C91) BIOS two options:

1) enable "Re-Size BAR Support" also enables an option right bellow it named

2) "Above 4G memory/Crypto Currency mining", which I then manually disabled but had to re-enable because otherwise Re-Sizable BAR wouldn't appear as ON in my Win 11 system...

I didn't like that 2nd option enabled 🙂 but....

Well, even before having enabled it yesterday I had completed a few EXCELLENT flights in the PMDG 737-700 and the FBW 320N, without any glitches at all, but then just before going "Re-Sizable" I decided to reinstall the A2A Comanche and on each of the 3 flights I did with it, as approaching Lisboa, near the FAF I always got a NGXI error popup and freezing my PC 😞

I want to believe it's A2A's Comanche fault - after all I had the same problems with the C172 and the Comanche in P3dv5.4, although the error was the other unfamous "DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG" of P3D, but I will have to further inspect the logs and try to find out the potential cause ...

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

23 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

More voodoo. 

Probably for msfs2020 but ms2024 might take advantage and I guess most of us will end up buying this.  Another point is that when ms2024 comes out, we will all have to remember to re-enable hyperthreading as well.

I wonder what other hoops we may have to jump through 😀

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)