Sign in to follow this  
Fiorentoni

Step descent?

Hi Dave,

1) it seems like that - contrary to the climb phase - ATC will not give step descent altitude (e.g. "descent to FL 250", "descent to FL150", "descent to 5000 feet" etc.) but instead tell you to descend via the STAR and be at or above the IAF altitude in the end. This is not realistic for non-US airspaces. Could you at least make an option to change that, so it's like in the climb phase?

2) The initial altitude after takeoff seems to high in most cases, at least outside the US. E.g. in Germany initial altitude (also written on the charts most of the time) is about 5000 feet and it's same-ish in most of Europe and I think also the rest of the world. Could you change this or make it an option? I guess you can't "read" the actual initial altitudes on the charts, but at least make them be below 10000 feet.

The STAR has published altitude restrictions that you adhere to.  If you fly without a STAR, you will get the "stepped descent" like in the climb.

The initial altitude is calculated based on several factors.  If you have a SID, then it will most likely be higher than if you don't since you will have the SID altitude restrictions to follow.

Dave

2 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

The STAR has published altitude restrictions that you adhere to.  If you fly without a STAR, you will get the "stepped descent" like in the climb.

In the US, yes, but not in the rest of the world (at least the parts I know, Europe mainly), as I said. You are cleared to step down altitudes and have to adhere to the STAR restrictions while doing this. This is for traffic reasons. On the other side STARs in Europe aren't as complex as in the US, there's often only one or two altitude restrictions (except for really big hubs) and that's why ATC gives step altitudes for descent. Would be great to have that in P2ATC at least as an option.