Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Help with Orbx

Two weeks ago, I installed three Orbx sceneries. The install went fine, and the airports show nicely in the sim but every time I start the sim it asks me to enable the sceneries. Why is this happening? This was 2 weeks ago and P3D is STILL asking me to enable the scenery. I have a lot of other Orbx sceneries to install and because of this I don't really want to install them. I will go crazy if I have to enable all my Orbx sceneries every time I start the sim.

Do you have ORBX Libraries installed they are required.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Posted (edited)

I tried to uninstall then reinstall Orbx Central but that didn't fix it.

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

Do you have ORBX Libraries installed they are required.

Yes I have those installed.

Edit: I have installed other Orbx sceneries before this and P3D only asked me to enable the scenery once and that is it.

Edited by Joseph29

3 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

Two weeks ago, I installed three Orbx sceneries. The install went fine, and the airports show nicely in the sim but every time I start the sim it asks me to enable the sceneries. Why is this happening? This was 2 weeks ago and P3D is STILL asking me to enable the scenery. I have a lot of other Orbx sceneries to install and because of this I don't really want to install them. I will go crazy if I have to enable all my Orbx sceneries every time I start the sim.

To me this sounds like the sceneries are inserted by add-on.xml and then written into add-ons.cfg (C:\Users\*yrname*\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5).

Somehow this file is not saved. Maybe it's write protected or Prepar3D.exe has not admin rights? You can check with right click on the file add-ons.cfg, select properties. You can also open it and check its content. 

Prepar3D.exe also right click, properties, compatibility, run as admin must be checked.

• Upvote 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

1 hour ago, blaunarwal said:

To me this sounds like the sceneries are inserted by add-on.xml and then written into add-ons.cfg (C:\Users\*yrname*\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5).

Somehow this file is not saved. Maybe it's write protected or Prepar3D.exe has not admin rights? You can check with right click on the file add-ons.cfg, select properties. You can also open it and check its content. 

Prepar3D.exe also right click, properties, compatibility, run as admin must be checked.

I checked and all my Orbx products are on the add-ons.cfg that is located C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5. And all three sceneries are on the cfg file (even now when the sim is not running). Also the "run as admin is checked for the P3D exe file. It is strange because all my other Orbx sceneries are not asking me to enable them every time I start P3D.

5 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

I checked and all my Orbx products are on the add-ons.cfg that is located C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5. And all three sceneries are on the cfg file (even now when the sim is not running). Also the "run as admin is checked for the P3D exe file. It is strange because all my other Orbx sceneries are not asking me to enable them every time I start P3D.

Would try a repair then. Uninstall these three sceneries then Install them again. Do you use SimstarterNG or similar?

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

6 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

Get Lorby's excellent  "P3D AddonOrganiser".

Run it and it should detect any new addons and ask if you want to enable them.

Select yes and then click save before you exit.

This is an invaluable tool and so easy to manipulate all P3D addons etc.

• Like 2

Sounds like a Windows permissions issue to me.

Does the "Users" group have "Modify" rights to the following path ?

"C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6"

Also does Windows ask for elevation rights when a program is set to "RunAs" an administrator?

I'd go with @Sparkrite's suggestion of getting Lorby's excellent  "P3D AddonOrganiser", it can manage the scenery and add-on configurations, as well as backup all the P3D config files to a zip archive.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Ok this is very strange, today I started up P3D and for the first time in 2 weeks it did not ask me to enable the three recently installed Orbx sceneries. I didn't do anything either (except to check if the P3D exe had admin rights). All three sceneries are working just fine.

15 hours ago, Joseph29 said:

Ok this is very strange, today I started up P3D and for the first time in 2 weeks it did not ask me to enable the three recently installed Orbx sceneries. I didn't do anything either (except to check if the P3D exe had admin rights). All three sceneries are working just fine.

Likely a glitch with those admin rights on the p3d exe.

Like all software, windows has its share of bugs and quirks, especially when MS introduces changes, many of which as end users, we would be completely unaware of.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D