Sign in to follow this  
thestuntman

VelocityOne Trim Wheel

I can't for the life of me get AxisAndOhs to pickup my trim wheel on my Turtle Beach Velocity one. Every other control but the wheel works. It won't pick the axis up at all. It shows up in Windows Control Panel fine, so it works, and I can assign it MSFS, but i want to have it adjustable per aircraft in AAO. Any ideas or anyone experience the same thing?

4 hours ago, thestuntman said:

I can't for the life of me get AxisAndOhs to pickup my trim wheel on my Turtle Beach Velocity one. Every other control but the wheel works. It won't pick the axis up at all. It shows up in Windows Control Panel fine, so it works, and I can assign it MSFS, but i want to have it adjustable per aircraft in AAO. Any ideas or anyone experience the same thing?

How exactly does it show up in the Windows Control Panel? What is it called? And the device itself, is it a joystick or a gamepad on the Windows dialog? Can you please post a screenshot?

Is it really an axis or are both turn directions just two buttons?

IIRC correctly the Turtle Beach hardware is usually based on game pads, to ensure compatibility with the XBox? 

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

4 hours ago, thestuntman said:

Here's a workaround that involves editing the XML file Axis and Ohs creates. If you don't want to do that then ignore this post.

Create a new profile for the aircraft involved. Remember the name of the profile. Add one axis to the profile using the lever right next to the trim wheel which should come up as "Slider 1". Set it up for Elevator Trim and save the profile. Go into "ConfigDatabase_MSFS.xml", find the profile you just created and change "Slider 1" to "Slider 0". Make double sure you're changing the correct aircraft noted in the "AircraftId" parameter. Save the file. Go back to Axis and Ohs and add the rest of your axes and buttons.

"ConfigDatabase_MSFS.xml" is located here: %localappdata%\LORBY_SI\LorbyAxisAndOhsMSFS. Backup the file even though there are other backups there. they could be old and outdated.

If you're not comfortable doing this .... don't.

Here's the pertinent info for the Asobo Baron 58 as an example. Your joystickGUID will be different than mine:

<AircraftConfiguration>
      <aircraftId>Asobo Baron G58</aircraftId>
      <airFileId>SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_Baron_G58\aircraft.CFG</airFileId>
      <loadFromMaster>false</loadFromMaster>
      <buttons />
      <axis>
        <GlobalAxis>
          <joystickStateProperty>Slider 0</joystickStateProperty>
          <joystickGuid>16752120-c8ee-11ed-8009-444553540000</joystickGuid>
          <joystickName>VelocityOne Flight</joystickName>
          <midiDeviceId>-1</midiDeviceId>
          <midiChannel>-1</midiChannel>
          <midiEvent>-1</midiEvent>
          <filterValue>1</filterValue>
          <assignedAxis>
            <Label>Elevator Trim</Label>
            <SimulatorEventName>AXIS_ELEV_TRIM_SET</SimulatorEventName>
            <MinValue>-16383</MinValue>
            <MaxValue>16383</MaxValue>
            <DefMinValue>-16383</DefMinValue>
            <DefMaxValue>16383</DefMaxValue>
            <curve>false</curve>
            <isSlider>false</isSlider>
            <Response>0</Response>
            <deviceMin>0</deviceMin>
            <deviceMax>65535</deviceMax>
            <deviceCenter>32767</deviceCenter>
            <leftMargin>0</leftMargin>
            <rightMargin>-0</rightMargin>
            <deadzone>0</deadzone>
            <nonlineardeadzone>false</nonlineardeadzone>
            <reversed>true</reversed>
            <progressive>false</progressive>
            <momentary>true</momentary>
            <onChangeOnly>true</onChangeOnly>
            <triggerDir>NONE</triggerDir>
            <triggerRepeat>NONE</triggerRepeat>
            <outputType>FLOAT</outputType>
            <vkModifiers />
            <vkKeys />
          </assignedAxis>
          <detents />
          <Action>Elevator Trim</Action>
          <ControlLayer>0</ControlLayer>
        </GlobalAxis>

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

1 hour ago, Twenty6 said:

Create a new profile for the aircraft involved. Remember the name of the profile. Add one axis to the profile using the lever right next to the trim wheel which should come up as "Slider 1". Set it up for Elevator Trim and save the profile. Go into "ConfigDatabase_MSFS.xml", find the profile you just created and change "Slider 1" to "Slider 0".

Really? Are you saying that AAO can't pick up the Slider 0? Why didn't anybody report this bug??
This definitely works for normal joysticks, the "Slider 0" on my TM T.16000M is being picked up without any work around.

In that case I definitely need to know what kind of device this is - joystick or gamepad (both are handled differently in AAO). Can you point me in the right direction? And what hardware is this exactly (that has a trim wheel)?

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

The device appears as 2 Game Controllers, both name VelocityOne Flight, one is for the yoke, the other is the throttle quadrant, which includes the Wheel. The wheel is named "Dial" in the settings, and it's an axis, not a button. In MSFS, is appears as Slider X+\X-

It is weird in MSFS though, I can't Search By Input and moved the wheel. I have to manually assign the axis. It shows up in Sensitivity settings though. It never used to be like this, but I am just coming back to MSFS after a couple of years away.

6 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

Are you saying that AAO can't pick up the Slider 0?

It used to before Turtle Beach updated the firmware to v1.40. Item in question is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-VelocityOne-Universal-Control-Windows-x/dp/B09JM8SX8G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=24D2KLH1RKD8B&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.crqSJalR9q1y937om4pv7lv_4Hk1HZQfVfLKnfJYgG3ggHWUZMXh3aArkRv9pGIBiAs8WaMnfO5eVuMXhu_f7g.D1cAJylQ9nVX9Syf392gzvJiZBzpjxW42vy03cZkJV4&dib_tag=se&keywords=velocity%2Bone%2Bflight&qid=1704930238&sprefix=velocity%2Bone%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-1&th=1

Because at one time AAO was able to pickup Slider 0 I never considered it a bug in your program. Anyways the workaround is easy enough to do

6 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

And what hardware is this exactly (that has a trim wheel)?

The trim wheel is on the Throttle Quadrant and works really well for GA aircraft once setup in AAO.

-J

Because my trim wheel has a 10 turn pot, Axis and oh's does not see it. The signal is just too fine. I finally decided to add a switch that shorts the pot so that it represents a full signal. I use it whenever I want axis and oh's to recognize this axis when setting up new aircraft configs. All other axis are fine, since they use ordinary one turn pots.

That would explain it. I never had an issue before. I only just update to 1.4.0. it's not just AAO that won't pick it up. Even MSFS won't. Funnily enough, FSUIPC does though.

1 hour ago, thestuntman said:

Rolling back to 1.3.3 doesn't work either, and there doesn't seems to be a way to roll back further than that

Don't know if you want to rollback from the 1.40 firmware. There were a lot of refinements between 1.33 and 1.40. You might lose more than Slider 0 by going to an older firmware.

I avoid their discord channel but maybe they're talking about a newer firmware or have some insight into the Slider 0 axis.

-J

From what I've seen, there's a few people who have had the issue of the axis not being seen by MFS unless you either reset the profile to defaults and leave it, or manually define it, but noone has actually said what causes it or how to fix it. Quite a few questions with no reply at all.

My homemade quadrant has a 10 turn pot for the trim wheel. The high resolution of this pot( very small input signal changes) prevents Axis and Oh's from recognizing this axis. Occasionally, I can have it recognized by turning the wheel very fast. This, however, is a rare occasion. I intend to attach a momentary switch that "shorts" the pot so as to trigger a large input signal during  setup. This should take care of the issue. I will be doing it in the next few days, since I've built a new unit and am in the process of completing the assembly. The 10 turn pot is the only difference between this axis and the others. The fact that this is the only difference between the axis makes me assume that this is the issue. I will report if the switch does the trick.

1 hour ago, flyforever said:

My homemade quadrant has a 10 turn pot for the trim wheel. The high resolution of this pot( very small input signal changes) prevents Axis and Oh's from recognizing this axis. Occasionally, I can have it recognized by turning the wheel very fast. This, however, is a rare occasion. I intend to attach a momentary switch that "shorts" the pot so as to trigger a large input signal during  setup. This should take care of the issue. I will be doing it in the next few days, since I've built a new unit and am in the process of completing the assembly. The 10 turn pot is the only difference between this axis and the others. The fact that this is the only difference between the axis makes me assume that this is the issue. I will report if the switch does the trick.

When you isolate the device (by clicking on the little green lock symbol to the right of the "Device:" box when it is displayed there), AAO will switch into "high resolution" mode on the Add/Change dialogs. Maybe that will help? You just have to make it register once, doesn't matter if it is another axis, as long as the device shows up in the box.

You could also configure it manually, by altering the config XML file as described above. That is why it is just an XML, not an actual database.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

On 1/11/2024 at 8:55 AM, Lorby_SI said:

When you isolate the device (by clicking on the little green lock symbol to the right of the "Device:" box when it is displayed there), AAO will switch into "high resolution" mode on the Add/Change dialogs. Maybe that will help? You just have to make it register once, doesn't matter if it is another axis, as long as the device shows up in the box.

You could also configure it manually, by altering the config XML file as described above. That is why it is just an XML, not an actual database.

I finally had a chance to try your suggestion to use the "green icon" in order for AAO to detect the trim wheel, which uses a 10 turn potentiometer. The device is recognized, but the green icon makes the axis names flash very rapidly, and the turning of the trim wheel does not change to the correct axis.

Your suggestion to edit the xml file is ok, but I having to do it for each aircraft is a bit awkward. Ideally, to simply be able to enter an axis letter in AAO field would be nice. I also recognize that it may be impractical to do from your end.

For the time being, I will resort to a bypass switch as mentioned in an earlier message.