Sign in to follow this  
Matt Sdeel

How to move eyepoint up (head up) to view runway

On final, I'd like to move up my head to view more of the approaching runway.  Shift-Enter works when the throttle is at idle but apparently does not work when the throttle is not on idle.

I'm not sure why it doesn't work in P3D v4.5. I'm looking for suggestions or alternative methods.

I set my arrows on the key board to move my eye point up down or sideways. I use Chaseplane as my camera app.

Vic green

I have it set-up in FSUIPC like so:

70=CR(+0,0)0,32,C66524,0         -{EYEPOINT_UP}- 

Where:
CR(0,0) = button1 on joystick 1
0,32 = POV1 hat positon up on joystick 1
C66524,0 = eyepoint_up

Works great when the slider or throttle is on idle but doesn't work when the throttle is in use. I don't understand why.

Shift-Enter should works with any throttle condition, sounds not likely but maybe your throttle somehow have assigned to other view input?

Another way if you want move it permanently, you can edit the eyepoint = under [views] aircraft.cfg, the 3rd number is height and it should be in feet.

4 hours ago, C2615 said:

Shift-Enter should works with any throttle condition, sounds not likely but maybe your throttle somehow have assigned to other view input?

Another way if you want move it permanently, you can edit the eyepoint = under [views] aircraft.cfg, the 3rd number is height and it should be in feet.

Thanks for confirming that it should work with any throttle condition. I figured out what the problem is. I was using an add-on which provided dynamic head movement (DHM) which apparently creates a conflict with eyepoint when in motion. 

In any case, I didn't want to move it permanently since I only want to move the eyepoint on final approach.

From the old FSX days I use "control+q" to raise the eye point and "control+shift+q" to lower it. Works great.

Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

2 hours ago, Matt Sdeel said:

Thanks for confirming that it should work with any throttle condition. I figured out what the problem is. I was using an add-on which provided dynamic head movement (DHM) which apparently creates a conflict with eyepoint when in motion. 

In any case, I didn't want to move it permanently since I only want to move the eyepoint on final approach.

Then should DHM add-on came with it's own view move system then? If not, then maybe try other add-ons like Chaseplane.

3 hours ago, C2615 said:

Then should DHM add-on came with it's own view move system then? If not, then maybe try other add-ons like Chaseplane.

Yes, OpusFSI does. Thank you.

4 hours ago, Vineguy said:

From the old FSX days I use "control+q" to raise the eye point and "control+shift+q" to lower it. Works great.

Bob G.

Thanks @Vineguy The above method still works in P3D v4.5.

HOWEVER, it's different from using Shift-Enter and Shift-Enter-Backspace.  

The methods you mentioned above moves the entire screen up or down. The Shift-Enter and Shift-Enter-Backspace method I'm referring to moves the eyepoint or head only inside the cockpit allowing you to see more of the approaching runway. 

17 minutes ago, Matt Sdeel said:

Thanks @Vineguy The above method still works in P3D v4.5.

HOWEVER, it's different from using Shift-Enter and Shift-Enter-Backspace.  

The methods you mentioned above moves the entire screen up or down. The Shift-Enter and Shift-Enter-Backspace method I'm referring to moves the eyepoint or head only inside the cockpit allowing you to see more of the approaching runway. 

I am using it for V5.4 and it does raise my viewpoint higher for landings etc.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

If you use a program such as SPAD.Next you can create a button on your controller to move the view point a prescribed number of times and have it toggle between default and landing.  This works pretty well if you fly the same aircraft every time.  Not so much if the movement needs to be variable based on the AC.  There are at least 2 methods to address this limitation.  You can use SPAD functions to determine the AC and them move accordingly.  The method that I use is to create an additional camera in the aircraft.cfg file called landing view and set the parameters for the camera to the exact view that I want.  This is how I setup the landing view for the default Commander, see below.  This particular camera used to be the co-pilot camera.  Since I never use that camera, I changed the title and the settings shown in bold below.  By creating a hotkey entry, you can assign that to a controller button and go directly there with one button push.  I assign another key to go back to the default VC view.  I chose hotkey 5 as that's not currently assigned to any other P3D default camera.  You can probably do this with ChasePlane as well.  Since I don't have that I use this method. 

[CameraDefinition.8]
Title = "Landing View"
Guid = {b1c13530-89ca-11db-b606-0800200c9a66}
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = No
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE