Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Native VirtualDesktop + Oculus Pro - Awesome Solution

Hey guys,

The world of VR is changing all the time.  Lately I have been having problems with Oculus Software with Link cable (I feel Meta is trying to wind down desktop Oculus home and want people to use Quest 3 natively; again that is my theory).  Issues I was facing related to stutters.  The stutters came if the oculus home window is not on focus (there are numerous threads out there on the internet about this).

So my solution came from Matthieu Bucchianeri.  I will be sending him some sponsorship money from my company.  Thank you!!!! 

For me with old hardware and one of the newest headset -- VirtualDesktop natively worked - It is using VDXR runtime.

VirtualDesktop-OpenXR

I uninstalled oculus home and openxr runtime from my computer and just installed VirtualDesktop Streamer tool.  You will have to buy VirtualDesktop on the Meta App Store in your headset.  

Everything works wirelessly.  I always loved the themed rooms in virtual desktop but I can play 2D with Frame generation on the computer screen that I see in VR lol. 

Frame generation only works in 2D mode but once in MSFS VR mode, I am getting like 45 fps on heavy airports with AI.  I am playing with my settings which can yield me even more fps (I have medium and ultra settings)

My video card is old 2070 Super.  I am saving to get the 5000 series when they came out with more than 24gb vram

Enjoy

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Yup, VD with the built in VDXR runtime and his OpenXR Toolkit is all I'm using. No other software needed (SteamVR or Oculus) to facilitate the VR session and it works really well.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

this is definitely a sweet spot, I've been trying to get my Quest 3 working with a link cable and it's just not working well at all - shimmering, blurry, stutters

switched to the beta of VD with this streaming app and VDXR and it works really well

I have a 5G Wifi 5 router on the ground floor and I'm on the first, and it seems to work fine - I guess I could get better performance if I buy a Wifi 6 AP which I will consider