Sign in to follow this  
P-12C

FA-18 Day & Night Carrier Ops

Guest ronht

My hat's off to the ACEs team and what they've accomplished with the Acceleration expansion pack. I've been having a blast with the FA-18 and the aircarriers2.zip add-on. I just posted a YouTube video I made of FA-18 day & night carrier ops. Day Cat launch - 500kt deck level fly-by with a left break to trap followed by a night Cat with an overhead break to trap. Anyone know if it's possible to get an LSO camera view on the boat? Would be great if it could be accomplished. Here's the link - enjoy.

Ron

Nice video, Ron. When I get a little time, I'm going to try to learn carrier operations. By the way, where do I download aircarriers2.zip ?I did a search in the library and it didn't pop up.Thanks, Steve

Guest fsxmissionguy

Ron,That was the very first thing I looked for (as my eyesight sucks) when I began flying the carrier missions. I don't think they included a camera view you can open that shows the LSO lights (there is a custom view in the missions, but it's from behind, focused on the pilot.)As a result of that, I focus most of my attention on two things when landing: nailing the centerline, and the HLFS (high/low fast/slow) gauge in the cockpit.I could be mistaken, but I just could not find a view that focused on the lights (hey, maybe someone can come up with a solution for this!)Here's a tutorial video I did showing a technique/procedure that's pretty successful in helping folks trap the carriers.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PetpmIkAYccCheers,Kevin

Guest fsxmissionguy

Ron,By the way ... can you tell us which recorder you use (I use FSRecorder, and it will not work with the moving carriers.)Cheers,Kevin

>I searched our file library. Did I miss it? Is it somewhere>else?>>Thanks, SteveThe latest version is "aicarriers2r2.zip"...try that... Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest ronht

I used the latest version of FRAPS to record the video for YouTube. I set it for 'Half size' and 30 fps and haven't suffered any problems with FSX. Also 'Half size' works perfectly for YouTube videos. Thanks for the other comments. Ron

Guest fsxmissionguy

Ron,So ... you're recording with FRAPS while flying (as opposed to recording, then replaying and capturing with FRAPS at that point?)That is a way to do it. It's just a lot harder to do.

Guest ronht

Yes, I record with FRAPS while flying. It limits the views, I suppose but adds to the challenge :-)

Guest fsxmissionguy

Yup, I've done it both ways ... and I prefer to record, then capture with FRAPS ... just because it allows me to concentrate more on flying well, and on placing the camera where I want it to best capture the scene.I'm still searching for some capture software that can track the moving carriers. Up till now, I've had to rely on the static carriers for movies.Sigh.

You would probably need some semi-custom capture software that uses SimConnect to not only record the users aircraft info, but all the AI objects info, and then before you played that capture back, you would turn off all the AI objects in FSX and let the SimConnect based capture software playback both the user aircraft and the AI objects (I suppose just for carriers, you could limit it to only capturing AI boat objects). I have no idea if this would actually work, since I haven't tried it, but I was playing around with extracting data about AI objects via SimConnect earlier today so am fairly sure its at least feasible :->

Awesome video Ron!Night ops are kind of freaky. Even though I have heard a lot of stories, I can't image how scary it must be in real life.