Sign in to follow this  
dbrooke

Cannot start MCE

I have a problem starting MCE.    I have the two xpl files in the right place MCE is on the C:Drive I am running XP12 on Windows 11, I would show the error message I get but I fulfil every criteria in the message.   Plugin admin shows xpinsider running. Help  Dudley

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

After running the wizard again, MCE has started to work again. I am rather bemused by this.

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

11 minutes ago, dbrooke said:

After running the wizard again, MCE has started to work again. I am rather bemused by this.

I guess, that's why we call it "The wizard" 😛

I am writing this to anyone else who may experience startup issues.

For smooth operation that won't need fiddling with any Windows settings...

1 - Always install MCE to default path (C:\Program Files (x86)..folder and never mess with that folder's permissions. It will only take about GB max including all additional recorded voice packs.

2 - Ensure you have the correct key for the machine ID

3 - Eventually, tell your anti-virus to trust "mce.exe". It is digitally signed, but because it's protected and AV cannot analyze it, some may throw a "false positive" out of caution.

4 If the above doesn't do it, go to C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Multi Crew X-Plane\ folder, open "xpmce.ini" in Notepad and ensure "Debug=1".

Start MCE and it should generate a "startup.log" in that same folder. Send it to support in order for us to work out where it stalled.

Hi there, I have a completely clean install of XP12 and MCE too, I cannot find an xpmce.ini, for some reason I can't create it either, Also there is no startup.log either. I don't run an AV program.( except Defender )  It just doesn't want to go.

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

52 minutes ago, dbrooke said:

Hi there, I have a completely clean install of XP12 and MCE too, I cannot find an xpmce.ini, for some reason I can't create it either, Also there is no startup.log either. I don't run an AV program.( except Defender )  It just doesn't want to go.

First, if you have been delivered a new key recently, make sure it's the one you are using not a different one from long ago which isn't suitable for current machine ID

Ensure your system is set to show hidden files and folder (Use Windows Control Panel, Folder explorer options)

After that, you'll be able to find it.

C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Roaming\Multi Crew X-Plane\xpmce.ini

I have definitely got the right key.  Here are my ini and startup files. Sometimes it starts, and sometimes it doesn't bother.

0:9:23:376 -Initialized global variables
0:9:23:414 -Loaded application settings from ini file
0:9:23:424 -Loaded language resources
0:9:23:553 -Application cleared to start
0:9:26:597 -Successfully created application window
0:9:26:656 -Voice created successfully
0:9:26:669 -Assigned voice
0:9:26:684 -Assigned voice
0:9:26:699 -Assigned voice
0:9:26:716 -Assigned voice
0:9:28:65 -Assigned voice
0:9:28:129 -Successfuly created Recognizer
0:9:28:144 -Successfully created user interface objects
0:9:28:159 -Detected Running Flight Simulator!

EOF

[WINDOW]
Left=460
Top=188
NoActivate=1        //(1 to make sure MCE doesn't take the focus out of the sim, when the UI is clicked, 0 otherwise)
NoSound=0        //(set value 1 if you want to cut the various UI sounds emitted when clicking buttons or MCE minimises)
NoFullScreenDraw=0    //(set to 1, to avoid the occasional graphics artefacts than can happen when MCE UI tries to draw, and the sim is in full screen mode)
StartToTray=0        //(set to 1, and every time MCE starts, the UI will not appear unless you click on the icon in system tray)

[FEATURES]
ExecuteCaptainOrders=1
ReadCheckListWhenAsked=1
PilotSpeaksToAtc=1
CopilotReportsFailures=1
EnableInterfaceVoice=1

[OPTIONS]
Debug=1            //(only set this to 1 when instructd by support)
PilotIsBVI=0        //(must be set to 1 for Blind Visually Impaired Pilots)
UIlanguage=1033
MikeTuneOnStartup=0
EnableOptimizations=1
AutoStartWithFS=1
MinimizeToTray=0
MoreResponsive=1
TrainingCompleted=0
AtcMikeUseIvao=0
ForceCopilot=1
AudioIn=
AudioOut=
PilotName=dudley            
ShowCommands=1
ForceCommands=0            //(deprecated. Do not use)
DisplayTime=3000
UseMacros=1            //(must be set to 1 For VoxKey to work)
UseNarrator=0
LoudData=0
EnableAnnouncements=1
UseVoxScripts=1
DisableNagging=0
GroundServicesMode=Native
NoBadLanguage=0
NoFMAcallouts=0            //(set this to 1 if you don't want FO to monitor FMA (Flight Mode Annuciator))
NoEngineStartCallouts=0
V1CalloutIsGO=0            //(Enable this to follow Lufthansa standard call-out procedures. PNF calls-out Go instead of V one)
ReduceChatter=0            //(Enable this if you want to cutout on the amount of FO speech. FO would be more concise)
FlyingAsCopilot=0
AutoNotifyOnSilentFlowStart=1
RandomFailures=0
TweakFsConfig=1

[PROFICIENCY]
Level=3

[SPEECH]
Volume=100
CpuUsage=75
SpeechPace=750
InprocReco=1
DisablePitchChange=0
MaxConcurrentTasks=4
NumLockKeyMutesReco=0

[SKILL]
Tol3=030,030,400,900,100,100,100,050
Tol2=020,020,200,700,075,075,075,030
Tol1=010,010,100,500,050,050,050,020
Tol0=005,005,050,300,025,025,025,010

[VOICES]
Voice0 =Clive,0,0,0,1
Voice1 =Trav,0,0,0,1
Voice2 =Stella,0,0,0,1
Voice3 =William,0,0,0,1
Voice4 =Microsoft David Desktop,0,0,0,0 

[ATC]
Mode=Native
UseRadioNoise=1
StaticNoiseLevel=1
atc1=0
atc2=0
atc3=1
atc4=1
atc5=1
UseRadarContact=0
IgnoreRC4Registry=0    //(Set this to 1 when RC4 isn't installed on the same machine as MCE)
RC4path=
IgnorePFERegistry=0    //(Set this to 1 when PFE isn't installed on the same machine as MCE)
PFEpath=
IgnoreFlightPlan=0
FlightPlansPath=
FoAlwaysDialsVHF=0
FoAlwaysDialsAfs=0
SimbriefID=68377

[SIMCONTROL]
FsPanels=1
FsMenus=1
FsDialogs=1
FsKneeboard=1
ViewsAndViewpoint=1

[GAMEPAD]
JoyManID=T.A320 Pilot
JoyProdID=T.A320 Pilot
JoyButton=4
UseWithOtherATC=0        //(Enable this if you want to use the same joystick assignment with other third party ATC (other than Native X-Plane, RC4 or PF3 ATC). It will ensure FO doesn't listen to your speech while the joystick button is held down using other ATC systems.

[CHECKLIST]
ReadHeader=1        //disable only if you don't want the Fo to read the checklist section name he is about to read and go straight to checklist items
NoStateCheck=0        //(when set to 1, co-pilot will just read the checklist aloud, wait for any answer and move on, without challenging you on any item. Useful for people running simpits with hardware switches. It can be difficult for FO to read these)
Strict=1            //(set to 1 if you want FO to be very professional with the checklist. Cuts out the banter)
a319=C:\Program Files (x86)\Multi Crew X-Plane\ChkLists\A319_check.txt

[MECHANIC]
PushWithGSXandAES=0

[RAMP]
NoRampToOfficeTalk=0
NoPaxDoorsAutoHandling=0
NoCargoDoorsAutoHandling=0

[PACE]
ActionDelay=1500     //The simulated delay that takes place before FO takes action. Values from 0 to 4000 milliseconds)
MCPdial=100       //The pace at which FO increments or decrements MCP values from 100 to 250 milliseconds). Doesn't apply to some aircraft where the value is hard coded
ButtonPress=800       //The simulated time in milliseconds it takes the FO to flip a single switch. Values 500 to 2500 are accepted
VoxKeyAction=1000  //The delay in milliseconds between two consecutive VoxKey actions. Valid entries 0 to 4000.

[SPLASH]
NoSound=0

[CAT_III]
FlightCalloutHeight=
FlightCalloutText=
GroundCalloutSpeed=
GroundCalloutText=

[PILOTS]

[MISC]
Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Multi Crew X-Plane
LastSimRun=1707349906

[CALLOUTS]
80knots=1
100knots=1
V1=1
VR=1
PositiveRate=1
V2=1
TransitionAltitude=1
TenThousandClimbing=1
TenThousandDescending=1
TransitionLevel=1
OneThousandFinal=1
FiveHundredFinal=1
Minimums=1
60KnotsDecel=1

[TERMINATE]

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

On 2/8/2024 at 12:22 AM, dbrooke said:

I have definitely got the right key.  Here are my ini and startup files. Sometimes it starts, and sometimes it doesn't bother.

0:9:23:376 -Initialized global variables
0:9:23:414 -Loaded application settings from ini file
0:9:23:424 -Loaded language resources
0:9:23:553 -Application cleared to start
0:9:26:597 -Successfully created application window
0:9:26:656 -Voice created successfully
0:9:26:669 -Assigned voice
0:9:26:684 -Assigned voice
0:9:26:699 -Assigned voice
0:9:26:716 -Assigned voice
0:9:28:65 -Assigned voice
0:9:28:129 -Successfuly created Recognizer
0:9:28:144 -Successfully created user interface objects
0:9:28:159 -Detected Running Flight Simulator!

EOF

Check you have xpInsider64.xpl and xpInsider.cfg files inside \X-Plane\Resources\Plugins\ folder.

You may have more than one X-Plane installation and the installer only added the files to one of them. Normally it would prompt whether you have another installation (so it can copy the same files to the other setup), but it's easy to disregard the message.

Also, don't forget <MCE dlls> folder which should be there as well \X-Plane\MCE dlls\

All of that is done and checked. So far, I have tried to start MCE 3 times, and every time so far I have been knocked back to the wizard, which grows tiresome, I don't know what it hopes to learn.  I have removed every other instance of X-Plane, including XP11 and my backup.

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

Fourth time,  it's too much stress for an old guy.  I shall give up for today.

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

I will give some background, I had an SSD with XP12 on fail and I have replaced it, and re-installed XP12 and a few other things.  I re-installed MCE to my C drive and I have been in this predicament since.

WW4959.png

On 2/12/2024 at 9:13 AM, dbrooke said:

I will give some background, I had an SSD with XP12 on fail and I have replaced it, and re-installed XP12 and a few other things.  I re-installed MCE to my C drive and I have been in this predicament since.

It's very likely your machine ID has changed. It won't run unless it finds a valid key for current machine ID. Not just any file with correct name.

Fill-out "Registration.txt" file in MCE installation folder and send it to support.

Edited by FS++

How much do external devices affect registration, for instance USB drives.and cameras? I have sent the registration.txt file by the way.

Dudley

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png

10 hours ago, dbrooke said:

How much do external devices affect registration, for instance USB drives.and cameras? I have sent the registration.txt file by the way.

Dudley

It would be silly to tie the key to devices that can disappear. 

I can assure you it's a well thought process that served us and our customers well for more than a decade. You won't even need a new key if you format C drive, install ANY Windows version. The same machine ID will be generated and putting back your saved key file will activate your copy.

Thanks for that,  I am sure it will be OK, I have been a customer for many years, and never had any problems before.

WW4959.png

My little wrinkle of starting MCE first, now no longer works.  It was working perfectly last might, I have turned off the computer, and it no longer works this morning, nothing should have changed. Any ideas? I had the idea that some malevolent intelligence might be behind this, so I have tried to turn off the ironically named Co-Pilot, worryingly I have had no luck yet.

Edited by dbrooke

WW4959.png