Sign in to follow this  
Flyte

P3D V5 Addon Scenery Elevation Issues

Hi Guys, 

I'm dealing with a terrain elevation issue in P3D and I've got no idea how to solve it, it's for FSimstutio's CYYC. Prior to my reinstall of P3D (switched computers) I had no issues, but now whenever I try to load into the airport it's displaying completely incorrectly. It almost seems like they're multiple layers and the terrain underneath is way off. The Addon CYYC elevation is 3556.995 ft and the default P3D layer is 3605.997. Changing the addon YYC's elevation to the P3D default did not work, or doing vice-versa. It looks odd as the scenery for the airport itself looks to be at the correct altitude and level, but the physical terrain itself supporting the airport is mixed between the addon airport's altitude and the default one.

I tried editing it in ADE V1.79 with Prokey and using blaunarwal's guide, but I get an error while trying to compile the airport as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Photos of my issues are very similar to this page:

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/150777-p3dv42-elevation-issues/

However, it's not an Orbx issue for sure as it's a different airport and I do not have issues with any other scenery addons.

First of all, I do not have the FSimstudios CYYC or any of their products.  Just providing a generic solution.

Looks like the default airport background is not being removed properly. 

Did you reinstall the FSimstudios CYYC airport or just move folders from you old computer to your new one? If you just moved the folders from one computer to the other, you may have to reinstall the CYYC airport which would set everything up properly. 

If you have done this let, then I have other solutions.

John C.

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Hi John, 

Thanks for your reply - I did a full clean reinstall of my sim and the addons as well, including CYYC. It's a strange one for sure.

1 hour ago, Flyte said:

Hi John, 

Thanks for your reply - I did a full clean reinstall of my sim and the addons as well, including CYYC. It's a strange one for sure.

I'm not sure how FSS does it airports.  As you mentioned, you tried changing the elevations using ADE.  This will not do anything to the default airport background. The default backgrounds are separate from the default airports.  I'm assuming FSS CYYC has its own background and the default background is at a higher elevation and above the FSS CYYC airport creating the issues you're having. I would open the default CYYC using ADE to remove the default background and after you compile the default airport, keep only the "CYYC_ADEP5_XXX_CVX.bgl" file. if you still have issues, I would also uninstall the FSS CYYC and remove any traces of manually. Also if you tried any elevation changes with ADE, then remove these from the "Scenery/World/scenery" folder in the main P3DV5 folder. If you need more instructions using ADE, let me know.

John C.

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

It's a tough one at CYYC as the elevation for the airport fluctuates so much. The threshold of 34L is at 3542', 35R is 3570', 17L is 3606 and 17R is at 3555'.
 Their short lived P3d version of CYYC was never compatible with V5, maybe for that very reason.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

One guy that posted a YT video for CYYC and P3Dv5.1 indicated he disabled base scenery 0201.

This video did not appear to show any elevation issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1Vh9fhX5U

Note: I am not sure if this is the correct scenery base number. When I look at the P3D base scenery grid, It looks like CYYC is in 0102 so the above may be a typo.

Maybe be someone can confirm in which grid CYYC is located in?

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/environment/scenery_configuration_files.html

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

You can try adding an airport background exclusion using ADE and then recompiling the airport file.  This will remove the stock background if that's what's causing the issue.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I have it working fine in v5.4. It's been a while since I played with it but  I also disabled the related files in the default scenery (201) folder. I just fired it up and it definitely has no elevation issues. Still looks decent for it's time. afcad always stunk for this airport though. lol

Just had another look and I definitely adjusted elevation in ADE to make it work in 5.4 as well.

Edited by ywg256
  • Like 1

system i9 10850K NVidia RTX3090 24GB Samsung SSD980 m.2 1TB (x2) Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD Seagate 2TB external drive Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB SSD Asus B460M-PLUS Mobo 32GB GSkill DDR4 3000mhz Ram using P3D v5.3

14 minutes ago, 787flyer said:

Note: I am not sure if this is the correct scenery base number. When I look at the P3D base scenery grid, It looks like CYYC is in 0102 so the above may be a typo.

Maybe be someone can confirm in which grid CYYC is located in?

http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv2/LearningCenter/environment/scenery_configuration_files.html

Checked with LNM and ADE, CYYC is located in scenery folder 201 and the files are the 17130 series of bgl's.

John C.

• Like 1

John C.

Hey Everyone, 

Thanks every much for your input. Disabling Scenery Folder 201 seems to cause a lot more issues as the airports in the surrounding areas and the elevation is all messed up (Likely due to the BGL file containing multiple airports/scenery).

I tried messing with it more, and found that a key issue when trying to use ADE to fix it, was that it wasn't compiling correctly. The Runway surface and some taxi link types were listed as 'blank' or '122' in ADE, these had to be corrected to Asphalt. Following that, I re-did the steps on Blaunarwal's guide, and this time it compiled correctly! With a CVX file as well, that helped resolve the terrain leveling issues nearby. 

It was a really odd problem and I had no idea that something as obscure as runway surface type could cause this kind of issue. Hopefully this helps some folks facing similar issues! Thanks to everyone for pitching in.