Sign in to follow this  
chevelle505

OK This seems odd (PC Performance)

So ive got a I9 10900K and have , long story short, noticed that it is "Limited by main thread". So ive taken to the internet going down a rabbit hole searching for whats going on, to no avail. I makes no sense because i have locked and unlocked my frame rate, changed LOD terrrain and objects up and down, and am currently at 100. Im getting roughtly 31-32fps pretty rock steady no matter what...i noticed, same aircraft and same area yesterday cruising at 14,000 ft my fps was exactly the same...32. the only way i could see it change is when it dipped down to 25-27fps when LOD Finally hit 200. So this morning i figured id play a little more with the LOD and bottomed it to Zero and my fps didnt change AT ALL from the 31-32? youd thing id gain a couple fps with LOD Bottomed out.  so im thinking, your telling me an I9 10900K in a da42 sitting in nashville (not very heavy scenery) is only capable of 31fps even with everything turned to the lowest settings??? I have gone in bios and disabled virtualization and that made absolutely no difference. Something seems to be going on here thats not letting my cpu run at its potential. in P3DV4 with HEAVY 3rd party scenery like LA and in the PMDG 747 id see consistant 65-70fps at the worst and up to 160fps at altitude. I know its sort of apples and oranges and you can tell me msfs is cpu intensive but i dont understand why dropping LOD to nothing didnt even give 1 fps more? its like its locked. My CPU BTW was only running a 9%...why wont msfs let me actually use my CPU??? GPU Is an RTX3060 and 16GB of DDR4 running windows 10. Mobo is a ASROCK Z590-C.

HERES A SCREENSHOT 

Edited by chevelle505

You haven't not locked your fps in any program such as Nvidia panel or RTSS or using V-Sync in the game?

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

I assume you are keping an eye on your CPU and GPU temperatures.

Maxing out your CPU at lowest settings is certainly an odd one.  What is your CPU usage without msfs running?  I'm wondering if you may have a virus or malware running in the background. Have you closed down anything else that may be running?

What resolution are you running.  I noticed CPU usage going up a lot when I switched from 1080 to 1440 a year or so back so if you are running 4k then you have to turn a lot of things down to get decent FPS.

Your RTX3060 is holding you back a bit and a weak match for a decent CPU like you have. It doesn't have enough grunt or VRAM for much more than 1080.

Edited by cianpars

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

OK, I feel like a dumba$$ lol...I found the problem, it was in fact limited within Nvidia control panel..not sure how it happened but now I'm getting 65-67fps sitting on the ground with moderate settings. Just curious, I've had my own doubts about the RTX3060 but I'm wondering what's a good upgrade option and if one can be had that's a sizeable jump within a budget of around $300 ish or should i stick with what i have and double my ram (i was already planning on getting another 16gb of DDR4).

4 minutes ago, chevelle505 said:

OK, I feel like a dumba$$ lol...I found the problem, it was in fact limited within Nvidia control panel..not sure how it happened but now I'm getting 65-67fps sitting on the ground with moderate settings. Just curious, I've had my own doubts about the RTX3060 but I'm wondering what's a good upgrade option and if one can be had that's a sizeable jump within a budget of around $300 ish or should i stick with what i have and double my ram (i was already planning on getting another 16gb of DDR4).

Still having a problem explaining why you are CPU limited at such low settings.

Doubling RAM to 32 GB did not seem to make any significant difference for me so probably a waste of money (others have said the same).  An RTX 3080 would not break the bank, especially if you buy 2nd hand and sell your 3060.  Much else will probably take you over your budget.

Bear in mind that msfs2024 is just around the corner and is said to be much lighter on resources and will use dx12 more efficiently, so I will be waiting to see how I get on with that before deciding what or if any upgrades will be necessary.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

22 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Still having a problem explaining why you are CPU limited at such low settings.

Doubling RAM to 32 GB did not seem to make any significant difference for me so probably a waste of money (others have said the same).  An RTX 3080 would not break the bank, especially if you buy 2nd hand and sell your 3060.  Much else will probably take you over your budget.

Bear in mind that msfs2024 is just around the corner and is said to be much lighter on resources and will use dx12 more efficiently, so I will be waiting to see how I get on with that before deciding what or if any upgrades will be necessary.

So in your opinion would the 3080 Be a noticeable difference or marginal at best kind of upgrade? wondering if its worth the money from the 3060. I kinda figured The I9 should be golden even through msfs2024, kinda odd they put such a powerhouse cpu matched with a mid grade graphics card. The I9 10900K Was literally the fastes processor i could buy at the time i got it, and it seems now theres cpus that will run circles around it..still seems to be more than enough to run msfs at moderate settings. as for the DDR4, i can get it fairly cheap, im just trying to avoid the occasional stutters i get when in densly populated areas, it seems like the bottleneck is the 3060 fighting to render all that at once.

Also curious if this is a clue..even now that im up in the low 60fps area, it still says "Limited by main thread" although The I9 is only at 19% Load. how is that a limit when its not even breaking a sweat? and yes btw, My Temps are nice and cool, and even flying its around 50 degrees. never hits the 90 degree limit to cause throttling.

Edited by chevelle505

1 hour ago, chevelle505 said:

The I9 is only at 19% Load

Averaging all CPU cores (including logical ones if HT is turned on). As you may see in other threads, MSFS uses 2 cores fully. With your CPU model, I guess you have HT off, and 2 maxed-out cores out of 10...well, there's your 19% load.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

21 hours ago, chevelle505 said:

Also curious if this is a clue..even now that im up in the low 60fps area, it still says "Limited by main thread" although The I9 is only at 19% Load. how is that a limit when its not even breaking a sweat? and yes btw, My Temps are nice and cool, and even flying its around 50 degrees. never hits the 90 degree limit to cause throttling.

I'm always mainthread limited, unless I crank the resolution up to something like 6144X3240... My total CPU usage is around 20-30% most of time. Occasionally some of the cores/threads are spiking to 100%. 

2 hours ago, chevelle505 said:

Seems to be a bit of debate but should I have HT on or off?

If you have adequate cooling I don't see why you shouldn't. Look at the screenshot below - all of the 16 P-Core threads are used relatively evenly. This is in DX12 with HT on. 

uei2hEI.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

So you’re running DX12 (beta I guess)? I’m wondering if I should or shouldn’t. My only issue is now when I’m in fairly dense areas, I get a very rhythmic stutter, literally every second it’s ……/……./……/……/ and it looks like a word not allowed slideshow..trying to figure out if this is the GPU or if I’ve actually reached the limits of the 10900k?  I run LOD at 100 and most settings are “high” rather than “ultra”. Thing is, this stutter is happening while at 35-45fps..you’d think if it was cpu I’d be getting much worse frames. I’m at a loss. I’d also like to know if a word not allowed internet connection could cause this? I’ve noticed, take Houston for example, I took off, and it was word not allowed..was getting 25fps, after about half an hour in the air I was back to my usual 38-45fps over the city…is this cache doing that gradual improvement? My understanding is that if you fly out of the same airport routinely, it saves all the data so your performance is better

Edited by chevelle505