Sign in to follow this  
soaring_penguin

FSX Acceleration and DX10 Question

Guest usajet93

Does FSX Acceleration speed up the fps in FSX? And is DX10 work good with FS9? Or old DX9 Games?

Guest DreamFleet

While the "experts" will later chime in on this, let me first say that:"Acceleration" does not necessarily mean more Frames Per Second. However since it does include SP2 that might help in that regard.As to DX10, even the folks at ACES will tell you that that FSX is intended for DX9 not DX10 and that most developers will be following the DX9 path until the release of FS11.It reminds me of sitting at the ORBX booth at AVSIM's "FanCon" last week, flying the Extra 300 in FSX over this amazing scenery of Australia (you have to see this stuff, so amazing!).A young man comes up, looks at the big screen, and how beautiful and smooth things are (the sim was running on a Dell lap top) and asks:"What are the frames per second?"I responded: "What does it matter, look at it!" ;)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Lou, you were at fancon?I am sorry I missed you, would have been nice to meet you in person.yes, the ORBIX scenery was great.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest slydon

Yes I think too many people become obsessed with the fps number. I know my friend is that way. It can be smooth as silk, but if the number in the upper corner says 17 he is all upset. I don't even turn that on. I can tell if my frames are low just by looking at it.

A fair question.Leaving aside DX10, I would be interested to know if SP2 DX9 has any effect on frames and smoothness for most people. I actually have Acceleration installed but am not sure if FSX is maybe a little slower than before.

Just to be clear : DirectX10 is not backward compatible with DirectX9.DirectX10 is only available on Vista, and can only be used if you have a DirectX10 compatible video card (Geforce 8800 or latest ATI cards).To be backward compatible, Vista comes with Directx9. This is - from users point of view - the same DirectX9 that comes with XP. You should download the latest client runtime from the microsoft download website to have the latest updates of the API.So to come back to your question : old DX9 games will not benefit from DX10. As always, keep your drivers up to date.Jan

Forgot to mention : SP2 comes with improvements for DX9 in FSX.It also allows you to enable DX10 preview in FSX.SP2 is part of Acceleration, but will be available as a free download shortly. No need to buy Acceleration to have SP2, if you don't want the new missions or airplanes. Just be patient.Jan