Sign in to follow this  
coastaldriver

Shensee B707/720 and 707s in XPlane

This model arrived without fanfare in XPlane 12 over a year ago. It seems to be a singular effort perhaps by Shensee (Japan?), he appears to have not done anything else.  It is a carefully crafted rendition of the B720 and B720B not the 707 so it is very much the same as a Boeing 707-138 series (short body - big engines). There were a couple of mods and improvements that are available - namely a PBR package, some Navitab additions and a mod to put in a basic INS/GPS on the pedestal. The AP is reasonable and there is an improved FMOD package also done for this. 

It is remarkably good, flight characteristics, textures etc and a lot of work went into the lighting cockpit and cabin that gives this model a very immersive touch. So the base model by Shensee is very good but the PBR mods etc take it to payware level. 

So if you want a 707 this would be it for XPlane. The only other 707 was done by Mike Wilson for XP11, 707 300 and 420 and they have since been withdrawn from sale nor was ever updated for XP12 (It appears Mr Wilson may have sadly passed on!). 

• Like 1

There was a little interest after some recent screenshots in xplane n me (now in the screehshots slot. So why this aeroplane or xplane model? what is fascinating is that it is freeware available to the XPlane user community. It was built for XP12 so has transistioned along to 12.09 without issues. It has all the XP12 features - rain etc. 

Yet - this is a very high quality simulation model. High. The systems are all modelled and controllable via the 3D Flight Engineers panel and controls. Radio navaids are representative of the era - VOR ADF ILS. A neatly hidden subpanel gives you access to ground systems, doors etc. 

The reproduction of the handling, feel and control of this large 4 engined aeroplane is accurate. Engine starts can be tricky! No explanations for the fuel or electrical systems - need some Boeing guff for that! Takeoff and climb is smooth and it climbs well on high power . Handles smoothly and responds nicely. Aerodynamic stability of the swept wing and empennage is accurate. The model executes a very gentle slow dutch roll oscillation in the cruise. So did the real thing! Speed reduction for approach and landing is per the book and descent profile required. Speed brakes (spoilers) work well as do flap extensions and gear deployment. Reverse capable and handles nicely on the ground. 

Just remarkable this came from a complete unknown and it seems singular piece of work for XP12. 

Any thoughts or suggestions on the mods appreciated. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I will surely revisit this thread and take the links as soon as I return from Italy. The 707 played a special role in my passion for airliners. Remember a neighbour in my parents building who worked at TAP's maintenance center and gave me access to the full technical manuals 😁👍

By the late 70s st least one operator of the B720 visited LPPT ... So thank you for also bringing this excellent memmories to the surface 😁

Edited by jcomm
Mostly fixing typos...
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Still miffed because he took my flight model improvements that brought both variants of the aircraft up to performance specifications per the POH and manufacturer as a personal insult. Hangared the model out of protest afterward.

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

7 hours ago, Bjoern said:

Still miffed because he took my flight model improvements that brought both variants of the aircraft up to performance specifications per the POH and manufacturer as a personal insult. Hangared the model out of protest afterward.

Oops 🥴. Sorry about, and surely note deserved given your contribution. I was completely unaware off that... actually off the modelo itself, and being away from my home sim PC I didn't even try to download it.

Are your FM updates still available?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

That seems to happen frequently with XPlane - modellers or artists. Seen quite a few (MetroLiner or the L188 Electra are two other examples not the only ones) that have just stopped altogether or no more updates or fixes or whatever. I can understand to a point - but if you put it out there as a public offering, then you have to expect someone else will have a suggestion to do something better or make an improvement. I recall being remonstrated against for suggestion that some data on something was inaccurate and the change was minimal which offset a diatribe of lessons from history about people taking over projects etc etc etc. 

Another temperamental one I guess! 

Cons: it doesn't have a complex modelling of systems, it doesn't have a highly detailed internal/external model, it doesn't have a bespoke failure simulation, it doesn't take 30 minutes to start, it does require hand flying, it does require raw data navigation.

Pros: it doesn't have a complex modelling of systems, it doesn't have a highly detailed internal/external model, it doesn't have a bespoke failure simulation, it doesn't take 30 minutes to start, it does require hand flying, it does require raw data navigation.

If you have the usual Short Standard Domestic Time Slot for simming and want to pretend you're an airliner pilot  this ticks all the boxes.

Looks---Great   Sounds---Great   Flys---Great  .................and it's  FREE.

• Like 2

Would someone provide a link to this? many thanks.

On 3/14/2024 at 10:38 PM, jcomm said:

Are your FM updates still available?

No.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:42 AM, coastaldriver said:

Seen quite a few (MetroLiner or the L188 Electra are two other examples not the only ones) that have just stopped altogether or no more updates or fixes or whatever.

That's not really an issue. Interests shift, life away from the screeen gets busier and whatever present or past creations fall to the wayside. Continued work on any products, even in absentia, can always be ensured by applying a corresponding license to have others carry on, but most authors don't do that.

But these are luxury complaints. There's always some other toy to play with in X-Plane.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days