Sign in to follow this  
Javiz

Schiphol 18L, 18C, 18R

Any Dutchies around here ? Or anybody who knows his way around EHAM, Schiphol, Amsterdam ?

My inquiry particularly concerns the landing runways with a southerly wind i.e. 18L, 18C, 18R. From the ground it's not easy to see which of the 3 landing runways are used. During rush hour i often see 2 planes approaching side by side. I THINK the're on their way to 18C and 18R but it could maybe be 18L and 18C as well. Somehow i have a feeling that 18L is almost never used ( it was the first ever runway for EHAM Schiphol and now belongs to Schiphol-East more or less).

Would it be possible for anyone here to more or less confirm my hunge that it is always 18C and 18R that are in use with a southerly wind and almost never 18L ?... And, if so, what could be the reason 18L is almost never used ?

Thank you very much for any insight ! 😎

Jan

I am pretty sure 18L is take off only, 18C is both take off and arrival and 18R is landing only. So you may see parallel arrivals on 18R and 18C. 

Stewart 

Scotland, UK

Posted (edited)

This might be useful:

https://www.schiphol.nl/en/schiphol-as-a-neighbour/page/flight-paths-and-runway-use/ 

and possibly this:

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/amsterdam-schiphol-ams/amsterdam-airport-schiphol-aalsmeerbaan-runway-18l-36r-reopens-for-departing-flights/

Edit: Here's a statement from an old airport briefing document, which may still apply:

2.3.2. USE OF RWYS
The most frequently used RWYs are 06, 18R, 36R, 18C, 36C & 27.
Outside peak hours and during the NIGHT period a combination of 1 departure RWY
and 1 landing RWY will be assigned. During outbound peak hours a combination of
2 departure RWYs and 1 landing RWY may be in use. During inbound peak hours
a combination of 1 departure RWY and 2 landing RWYs may be in use.
RWYs 18L & 36L are not available for arrivals.
From 2300-0600LT RWYs 04/22, 09/27, 18C, 24 and 36R are not available for
arrivals.
Deviations from the restrictions for arrivals on RWYs 18C 18L/36R, 09/27 and 24
shall be made if no other RWY is available or usable or for rescue or relief.
Assignment of RWYs in use is based on the Preferential RWY System.
The attention of pilots on final of RWY 04 or 22 is drawn to the size and texture
of the parallel TWY which, under certain weather conditions, is more conspicuous
than the RWY.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, dmwalker said:

Edit: Here's a statement from an old airport briefing document, which may still apply:

This is what I was really looking for. It's from January 2024:

https://eaip.lvnl.nl/web/2024-01-11-AIRAC/html/eAIP/EH-AD-2.EHAM-en-GB.html?amdt=show

5.1 Runway availability
RWY 18R is not available for departures and RWY 36L is not available for arrivals.
RWY 36R is not available for departures and RWY 18L is not available for arrivals.
From 2130-0530 (2030-0430) RWY 04/22 is not available for departures and arrivals.
From 2130-0530 (2030-0430) RWY 09/27 is not available for departures and arrivals.
From 2130-0530 (2030-0430) RWY 18C is not available for arrivals and RWY 36C is not available for departures.
From 2130-0530 (2030-0430) RWY 18L is not available for departures.
From 2130-0530 (2030-0430) RWY 24 is not available for arrivals.
From 2130-0530 (2030-0430) RWY 36R is not available for arrivals.
Deviations from the restrictions for arrivals on RWY 09/27, 18C, 24 and 36R shall be made if no other runway is available or usable. Deviations from the restrictions shall be made if necessary for rescue or relief (e.g. emergency) operations.
Under specific conditions, ATC may deviate from the restriction for departures on RWY 36R and arrivals on RWY 18L for slow VFR traffic only. Traffic landing on RWY 18L shall remain south of RWY 09/27.

4.1 General
The most frequently used runways are:

As landing runway: 06, 18R, 36R, 18C, 36C, 27.
As departure runway: 36L, 24, 36C, 18L, 18C, 09.
In unusual circumstances, such as extreme wind conditions, runways not available and during peak hours other choices may be used. Outside peak hours and during the night period a combination of 1 departure runway and 1 landing runway will be assigned. During outbound peak hours a combination of 2 departure runways and 1 landing runway may be in use. During inbound peak hours a combination of 1 departure runway and 2 landing runways may be in use. Assignment of runways in use is based on the preferential runway system, as prescribed in paragraph 4.3. For VFR traffic normally the RWY 04/22 will be assigned.

Dugald Walker

That is just fantastic ! Thank you very much, gentlemen ! Everything i always wanted to know about Schiphol's landing runways but was afraid to ask... 😎

I used to know, i even got a Bearcat scanner tuned in on Schiphol ATC but very soon i learned each day all the same so i lost interest quite quickly as well. Now, for quite some time already, all has changed, even a 'new' runway and everything called 18X instead of 19X and 36X instead of 01X and myself i just recently moved from one village straight underneath the approach path to 18C (i understand now thanks to you guys.. ;-)) to another small village slightly left of the 18C path.

All clear now, not have to worry anymore about what is where and how.

Thanks very much again for your elaborate explanations, guys ! Most highly appreciated ! 👍

Jan