Sign in to follow this  
Humpty

Help with rudder sensitivity

8 hours ago, Humpty said:

Maybe you start from here 

Robinson-R22-Beta-II-2024-03-26-21-18-24

I'ts little better but still far from comfortable.

I don't think that's a good curve at all. You are making the rudder much more sensitive (except for the initial dead zone, which can be good if there's some jitters in the controls at rest).

With that curve, the rudder reaches almost full deflection at just 40% pedals deflection.

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

3 hours ago, Murmur said:

I don't think that's a good curve at all. You are making the rudder much more sensitive (except for the initial dead zone, which can be good if there's some jitters in the controls at rest).

With that curve, the rudder reaches almost full deflection at just 40% pedals deflection.

Yeah think it's not good.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

8 hours ago, Humpty said:

Yeah think it's not good.

Try something like this:

Qm3G0f0.jpeg

• Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

• Exactly as per Murmur's suggestion !

Only difference in my setup is that I include a nullzone at the start of the curve...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Works nicely for me, thanks!

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

Will give this one a try.

Thanks Murmur

• Upvote 1

Going to try it with the R22

41 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Just give me a call before you takeoff so that I can enter the Bunker....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Humpty said:

Actually, for helicopters I use a different custom profile, and this curve for all 3 axes:

3lp9JuJ.jpeg

It's almost linear because in helicopters all flight controls are usually NOT centered while flying (unless the modeled helicopter has a trim system), so it's important to have a consistent sensitivity, whatever the flight controls positions.

The curves are however limited to 70% max deflection, in order to decrease the sensitivity of the joystick (or maybe even rudder pedals) compared to the full scale controls of a real helicopter. With this curve, you will lose max control deflections for all 3 axes, but in simulated helicopters this is usually not a problem. Unless you aren't able to reach max operating speed, in which case just increase max control deflection for pitch axis.

In X-Plane you can save custom profiles for each aircraft type, so for example you can make a specific profile that gets automatically loaded whenever you load an helicopter.

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 1

@Murmur

Thanks for the detailed info. Going to set it up tonight, long weekend this week.

One question though not related to or maybe related to the the cyclic or the rotor rpm.

The default R22 tends to pitch up if I leave the cyclic, it  needs constant forward push, the center spring  from the stick has been removed and even the calibration is fine. 

14 hours ago, jcomm said:

Just give me a call before you takeoff so that I can enter the Bunker....

Wilco. 

5 hours ago, Humpty said:

The default R22 tends to pitch up if I leave the cyclic, it  needs constant forward push, the center spring  from the stick has been removed and even the calibration is fine. 

It's the blowback effect (search for "blowback" in the following article for an explanation):

https://www.aircraftsystemstech.com/2017/06/helicopter-aerodynamics-of-flight.html?expand_article=1

• Like 1

I am going to give that curve a try Murmur !

Thx !

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

12 minutes ago, jcomm said:

I am going to give that curve a try Murmur !

Thx !

Bunker time !