Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

DLSS or TAA

Posted (edited)

I prefer DLSS to TAA.

I have not yet tried the method in this video. I believe it allows a setting in Anti Aliasing of MSFS options higher than DLSS Quality, namely Ultra Quality which I think he is saying is 1 to 1 with no upscaling. He then continues to show in the sim how much clearer this new kind of DLSS is clearer and sharper than TAA

Also by setting Anistrophic Filtering to 16 in BOTH Nvidia Control Panel AND in the sim he shows that you can spot the runway from far away nice and clear whereas otherwise it is hard to make out where the runway even is.

13:00 to 14:00 showing his flight in the video: "This is even better than TAA guys" (Nvidia DLSS Super Resolution / Ultra Quality selected in MSFS options for anti aliasing). That is to say DLSS with 1:1 and no upscaling.

Edited by Fielder
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)

He also showed something I always have done in VR: turn OFF antialiasing in PC mode options and ON in VR when flying in VR. And then turn it back ON in PC mode when not flying in VR. This improves performance a little bit in VR.

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Fielder said:

I prefer DLSS to TAA.

Same.

I have not yet tried the method in this video. I believe it allows a setting in Anti Aliasing of MSFS options higher than DLSS Quality, namely Nvidia DLSS Super Resolution which I think he is saying is 1 to 1 with no upscaling. He then continues to show in the sim how much clearer this new kind of DLSS is clearer and sharper than TAA

Thanks for sharing the video. I’ve been using DLSS ultra quality at 0.8x my native resolution. Previously I had to go through a series of complex hoops to get this. DLSS tweaks seems much easier!

Also by setting Anistrophic Filtering to 16 in BOTH Nvidia Control Panel AND in the sim he shows that you can spot the runway from far away nice and clear whereas otherwise it is hard to make out where the runway even is.

Interesting, most interesting. I’ve set it to off in sim and on in NCP. I’ll try his method to see if it makes a difference.

Btw as DLSS+DLAA doesn’t involve any downscaling, I might stick to that. But I guess in VR as much performance as possible is needed.

EDIT: Wait, what? At the end of the video: “you can always use DLSS ultra quality or quality, and both of these settings will have DLAA on top of it”. 

How? 😳

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

EDIT: Wait, what? At the end of the video: “you can always use DLSS ultra quality or quality, and both of these settings will have DLAA on top of it”. 

How? 😳

--

I don't know how either. Was he mispoken?

I waded through his method (DLSS Tweeks app settings adjustment file swapping) and setting AF to 16 in both NCP and MSFS options), just completed going through the utility tweek apps. Am going to see if I notice improvements now.

I think he probably was mispoken. Did you manage to copy the file(s) to the WindowsApps folder? I thought that was “protected”? I’ll check out DLSS tweaks as soon as I can stop checking Avsim…

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

My first test.

I have the payware London City EGLC installed. When rolling down the runway the downtown tall buildings are all right there up against the runway just like real life. So it's a good test of image quality. Using DLSS Ultra Quality and AF to 16 in both nvcp and msfs. It all looks a whole lot better to me. The lack of any hint of shimmers and clear views out the side and straight ahead in the distance are much sharper, in seems to me.

My windows apps folder is not protected because I use steam

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator

The files all copied automatically. He showed in video how to do it manually if folders are protected. I didn't have to do that.

Posted (edited)

My windows apps folder is not protected because I use steam

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\MicrosoftFlightSimulator

The files all copied automatically. He showed in video how to do it manually if folders are protected. I didn't have to do that.

I just realised that my folder where FlightSimulator.exe resides is this: C:\XboxGames\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Content

This is how I've configured it so far. But still confused about the ForceDLAA setting:

QmEn5mh.jpeg

I just realised DLSSQualityLevels Enable should be set to true. 

1 hour ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

I've always used 16x Ansiotropic but if enabled in NVCP and not enabled in MSFS I get an instant driver crash on my 3060ti.

Have you tried with 16x both places?

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

I've always used 16x Ansiotropic but if enabled in NVCP and not enabled in MSFS I get an instant driver crash on my 3060ti.

sp

Probably you should try and enable it MSFS and then also in NVCP and then close and open MSFS and see if it works. Today was first time I had it set to 16 in both.

• Like 1

This may not look so good because monitors are 1440p, but it looks sharper in distance and to the side to me.

spacer.png

DLSS tweaker conflicted with my Nvidia profile inspector settings (which basically does the same, albeit not as user-friendly). So I "uninstalled" it (requires removing three files from the Flightsimulator.exe folder + changing a registry entry. 

spacer.png