Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

FSUIPC7 UPdate issue

John,

Would it be possible to write a subroutine for FSUIPC that would (when asked) time the response and make a recommendation? Or better yet, (when asked) to generate an entry for the ini file that would set the parameters appropriately.

Gosh, my eyes glazed over when thinking through how to do this manually. And then do it again to suit further developments.

Thanks,
Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MM said:

Gosh, my eyes glazed over when thinking through how to do this manually. And then do it again to suit further developments.

If you are having an issue with FSUIPC7 connecting to simconnect "automatically" and don't want to look at the log file, one approach would be to simply try some values. The default value for DetectToConnectDelayAuto is 60, which apparently is not working on your system if your are having a problem, so then try a value of 100. If 100 works either live with that or try a value of 80. If 100 doesn't work try 120 or 150,  etc. It should not take very long to find a reasonable and reliable value. I think the max value is 400 or more.

My understanding is the value you use is not critical as long as it works reliably. So if the value you use is actually 30 sec more than necessary, it just means you will have to wait 30 sec more than necessary for FSUIPC7 to connect, but connect it will.

If necessary, use the same idea with the other parameters.

I expect John will have some better ideas.

Al

Edited by ark

17 hours ago, MM said:

Would it be possible to write a subroutine for FSUIPC that would (when asked) time the response and make a recommendation? Or better yet, (when asked) to generate an entry for the ini file that would set the parameters appropriately.

I was also thinking along similar lines - I will investigate and see if I can come up with something for the next release.

17 hours ago, MM said:

It is not that difficult really - you just need to calculate the difference between two timestamps. Another way to roughly calculate the value would be to time the period from when you see the FSUIPC7 splash screen until MSFS arrives at the main menu and use this value. You shouldn't need to check/change this very often - only if/when the MSFS loading times change significantly, either due to a lot of new add-ons in the Community folder, or due to an MSFS update. With the latter I can also adjust automatically as I always release a new version after a major update, or when a new SDK is available.

13 hours ago, ark said:

My understanding is the value you use is not critical as long as it works reliably. So if the value you use is actually 30 sec more than necessary, it just means you will have to wait 30 sec more than necessary for FSUIPC7 to connect, but connect it will.

Yes - it doesn't matter that much if the value is slightly higher than optimal or slightly lower. When it is too high, it may take a short time after MSFS is ready before FSUIPC7 is ready to use, and when it is too low you may get a few re-connection attempts, but as long as there are only a few then this should not cause any issues. You can also configure the MaxClients property in the SimConnect.xml file to allow more connections. as problems should only arise when SimConnect is starved of connections. The MaxClients parameter determines the total number of connections allowed in a session - if a connection is closed it is then dead and cannot be re-used.

The issue with 7.4.10 was that I reduced the default InitialStallTime to 5 seconds, and so for users who have loading times > 1.5 minutes or so, it would be re-connecting every 5 seconds. So if the loading time was 4 minutes, this would use 30 connections, and the longer the loading time the more connections are used, which can then starve other clients of connections. This was a mistake on my part as I reduced this value for testing purposes and forgot to reset it before I built for release - this was corrected in 7.4.11 and now a default value of 30 seconds is used, with a minimum of 15 seconds if auto-started.

John

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/1/2024 at 6:32 AM, John Dowson said:

Edited by lancealotg

8 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

For @MM and others, I have released a beta version of FSUIPC7 with auto-tuning of the start-up parameters available - please see:
             https://forum.simflight.com/topic/98322-fsuipc7-7412a-beta-release-with-auto-tuning-of-start-up-parameters/

John

Thanks John. Is there a way to access the beta install without registering at simflight.com?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

Is there a way to access the beta install without registering at simflight.com?

No, but here it is: FSUIPC7 v7.4.12a (beta release) (right-click and select Save link as... - I will remove this once released)

Please see the aforementioned Announcement link on SimFlight for usage details.

John

Edited by John Dowson

26 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

No, but here it is: FSUIPC7 v7.4.12a (beta release) (right-click and select Save link as... - I will remove this once released)

Please see the aforementioned Announcement link on SimFlight for usage details.

John

Thanks again John.

@John Dowson Thanks for your working on this.
I did do a "manual" tweak to 200 seconds. (Old machine. Lots of installed aircraft and scenery.)
Will do some experimentation and get back. All your work is much appreciated.
(And best wishes to your father!)

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1