Sign in to follow this  
Cpt_Piett

Sound disappears when monitor goes to standby

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Bob Scott said:

This gradual image degradation on OLED panels is a large factor in why I opted for a 38" LED 21:9 display rather than a larger OLED one when looking for a new monitor during the last Christmas season.  Hardware G-Sync was the other deciding factor.

It doesn’t seem like I’ve got any image degradation so far, luckily. I’m pretty careful to turn it off whenever it’s not in use (it will turn itself off when inactive for 5 mins though). Also, it auto-dims after a few minutes if the image is static.

I think I’ll just live with the audio inconvenience, it’s a fairly minor thing after all.

EDIT: almost forgot - thanks for all inputs!

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

3 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

EDIT: almost forgot - thanks for all inputs!

You may be interested in this also. I have changed my ISP provider to (Gain) a full fibre connection and my TV Monitor is plugged into the internet not Wi-Fi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIef8iRZhLE

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

You may be interested in this also. I have changed my ISP provider to (Gain) a full fibre connection and my TV Monitor is plugged into the internet not Wi-Fi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIef8iRZhLE

Thanks! I’ll look into it. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

On 4/6/2024 at 2:17 AM, Cpt_Piett said:

Perhaps the solution might be a good old Windows 95 screensaver? 😅

It is 😀. I've clocked up 10246 hours on my 3 year old OLED48CX with no problems so far.

I don't use any of the built in protections like pixel shifting or screen dimming as they're a nuisance on a PC monitor.

But I do use the Windows black out screensaver. I've got the shortcut mapped to a Stream Deck key and am in the habit of pressing it whenever I leave the room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drebin27 said:

It is 😀. I've clocked up 10246 hours on my 3 year old OLED48CX with no problems so far.

I don't use any of the built in protections like pixel shifting or screen dimming as they're a nuisance on a PC monitor.

But I do use the Windows black out screensaver. I've got the shortcut mapped to a Stream Deck key and am in the habit of pressing it whenever I leave the room.

I think that might actually be the best solution. It's a bit funny as in a way it's like going back to the beginning of my PC journey. I don't have a stream deck, and I don't think Win11 have any screensaver, but I'll find a way so that I can disable the OLED auto-standby function. 

Btw I found a way to tweak Chrome to always stay in dark mode - even Avsim 🙂

Make a shortcut to screensaver in Win 11 using this "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\scrnsave.scr".

Screen saver options can be adjusted in control panel.

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 3:17 AM, Cpt_Piett said:

It's the OLED TV that shuts down. Which is a good thing, to reduce the risk of burn-in. 

Does your TV has an option to turn off the display only and keep the TV running?
At least some LG models have an option "Screen Off" that only turns off the screen but keeps audio running. It is somewhere in the Energy Saving settings according to their manual.

Update: I see in your sig that you do have an LG so hopefully yours supports this function.

Edited by orchestra_nl
  • Upvote 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Drebin27 said:

Make a shortcut to screensaver in Win 11 using this "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\scrnsave.scr".

Screen saver options can be adjusted in control panel.

Thanks! And now I know - Windows 11 still has screensaver options 😄 

Would a black image be the best? Just being extra cautious with my precious OLED panel.

16 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:
Does your TV has an option to turn off the display only and keep the TV running?
At least some LG models have an option "Screen Off" that only turns off the screen but keeps audio running. It is somewhere in the Energy Saving settings according to their manual.

Update: I see in your sig that you do have an LG so hopefully yours supports this function.

Not sure. Just went through all settings and couldn't even find a way to turn auto-standby off. Time for a google search I guess. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

Just an update on how I resolved the issue, in case it may help others. 

1. Turned off auto-standby in TV menu
  2. Selected a screen saver in control panel

To start the screen saver manually:

1. Made desktop shortcut to the screen saver - C:\Windows\System32\Ribbons.scr
  2. Right-clicked Ribbons.scr, properties, selected a shortcut key (I found one not already used in MSFS)

Yeah, I have second monitor that always turns its audio on regardless of what settings I choose or disable. I even disabled the sound through the device manager and it still ends up providing audio.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

If I leave my LG OLED I take my remote, press the speech recognition button and say: „Screen off“. 

This sets the screen off but the TV is still running.