Sign in to follow this  
BuddyDog

Monitor and GPU upgrade questions

I haven't posted anything here is a long time, but thought I'd ask simmers here.

When I found myself retired in 2018, I built a computer to use for P3D, but I have now started using MSFS.  So far I really hate the camera controls, but eventually I'll figure it out.

I built a pretty good system (for it's time) with a 9700K, 32GB RAM but stuck an old GTX 1070 in the build, and running a 1080p monitor.  I can't afford to upgrade the whole system now, but wondered if I moved to a faster 1440p monitor if the 1070 could handle it or I should bite the bullet and pick up a 4070Ti super (still a cringe at the cost) or just wait until the new Blackwell cards release and just rebuild the entire machine. 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Stephen Forsgren

Yikes a 1440p is only going to add that much more work for that old GPU.  How far off is enough $$ to build a new system that can handle that 1440p and all that MSFS has to offer?  I can advise you with some confidence your 9700K if overclocked reasonably will work well enough with any of the NV cards that do frame generation, in other words upgrade the GPU first, and the 4070 super is a fair choice w/ its 16Gb of VRAM.  Plus, the next release of MSFS coming this year will have greatly optimized multithreading to get more life out of your 9700K.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Thanks for the advice, Noel.  I think I will just wait til next year and rebuild the computer.

Stephen Forsgren

Thanks, Raymond.  Seems to be so many rumors running around on CPU's, GPU's, etc.

I think I will just wait a while until things are clearer.

Stephen Forsgren

On balance, I think the 4070 super ti is a bargain and a good choice. They can be had for $750 which is $300 less than a few months ago. But in general they sell for $790 or so. I don't believe it buying the best. Settle for close to best. 4070 super ti is that.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Have a look at the AMD offerings. After being with NVidia for many years last year i did a rebuild of my system and for video went with the AMD 7900xt 20gig. Very happy with it. Was considerably less money than the competition. Also for cpu i chose the amd 7800x3d. Hadn't had an amd build in decades. Had it for a year now. I'm pleased with this combination. Just a suggestion to investigate if you hold off till next year doing a rebuild.

MSI no longer making AMD GPUs.

AMD cancel 8000 series GPU. 

Nvidia will now be able to charge what they like for GPUs.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg