Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Finally got FSX working....

....well enough to play anyway. Added another gig of ram and replaced my 6600GT 128 card with a 7600GS 512 meg card. Played for several hours last night "tweaking" everything and never had a computer crash. So, FSX is now stable enough for me to try some flights. Because I was/am still using FS9, I haven't been paying much attention to worthwhile addons for FSX. I'm thinking mostly sim performance oriented addons such as better clouds, different textures, replacement autogen stuff that might give me a little bit better frame rate. With my current setup (P4 2.8, 1 gig ram, 7600 GS) and running at 1280x1024, I get about 15-25 fps at my current settings, which is okay I suppose, but I have sliders turned down pretty low. Any textures I can install that would allow me to turn some sliders up and maintain my frames?

If you want to turn up sliders in FSX, you're going to need a faster processor. No amount of tweaking will get you there.. not what you want to hear, no doubt..The P4-2.8 is great for FS9, but barely enough for FSX... :-(ie.. if you are satified with keeping the sliders down a bit.My P4-2.8 is now sitting in the closet gathering dust and FSX is running great on the new Q6600. FS9 runs pretty darn nice on the new rig as well (60 fps vs 30 before).

Bert