Sign in to follow this  
jmhelms

Sailplane Won't Take Off

My sailplane won't take off when attached to aero tow via a Cessna

172...all the instruments are on...the tow rope is attached...

the sailplane is resting on one wing...there is no fellow holding

the wing up level...giving it the gas doesn't help...what am I doing 

wrong?...using MSFS on a gaming computer fully updated...

Hi John, you know you have to wiggle the tail a few times? That's the signal for the tow plane to start to pull.  But I don't know why you don't see the wing helper...  Has been a while I used a sailplane in MSFS, will try later...

Posted (edited)

I just launched MSFS 1.36.2.0 with the standard Asobo LS8 18 (link to LS8 01.png).  There is a wingman at the left wing, and the Cessna is waiting to pull.  When I wiggle the rudder 2 times, the wingman starts to swing his left arm (link to LS8 02.png). Then he lets the sailplane go, as it takes up speed.  Remember to fully retract the airbrakes in the wings, otherwise it's hard to get airborne!

Which sailplane did you use?

If you can't see the pictures, e-mail me (you have my address)...  Success!

Edited by hugojans

It's a conflict with one of my Scenery and/or one of my Utilities add-ons...

a little more searching on this end will solve the problem...i'll keep you

posted...

Hmmm, I really think it's something really weird and even a reinstallation of MSFS didn't fix it 😕

The aircraft will  not start pulling the glider, and if I try a winch launch instead, the winch ends up laced behind my glider piulling me backwards ?  

Has been like so since the latest beta release, at least that I can remember... 😕

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, jmhelms said:

It's a conflict with one of my Scenery and/or one of my Utilities add-ons..

I had this issue and it is probably linked to an issue with airport services in one of your airport addons.
What happens is that the wingmen is not available so there is no one to signal the tow aircraft to start its take off run. I also discoved that the same issue causes pushback trucks to disappear.

What I did to find the cullprit was to move half of my addons to another folder and see whether the problem is solved. If not, the bad scenery must be somewhere in the other half.
By repeating this proces you will end up with just one addon if you are lucky. Keep in mind though that several sceneries might cause this issue.

Perhaps it is best to first start with an empty community folder just to see whether it is any of those addons. If not, the problem might be caused by an addon in the Official folder (marketplace).

In my case the airport was TUPJ by SLH Sim Design. According to the changelog in the IniManager it was fixed but when I redownloaded it, the issue was still there.
I fixed it myself by moving the services.spb to a higher folder and editing the layout.json accordingly but this should have been fixed by the developer already.

Edited by orchestra_nl
  • Upvote 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Took me while to figure out that Sailplane is not an Aircraft on floats.

You meant "Glider".

Posted (edited)

My problem persists though🥴 even on a fresh install of MFS whenever I call for either the c172 to tow my glider or opt for a winch, I can't leave the ground unless I go slewing 😕

And if I opt for a winch launch it is even more weird - the winch is placed behind the glider and pulls me backwards???

I think the guys @ASOBO know it's me...

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

45 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Took me while to figure out that Sailplane is not an Aircraft on floats.

That would be a seaplane.

45 minutes ago, Farlis said:

You meant "Glider".

"Glider" and "sailplane" are synonyms; one or the other tends to be more common depending on which part of the world you're in.

(If Wikipedia seems suspect as a source, try EASA.)

30 minutes ago, martinboehme said:

That would be a seaplane.

"Glider" and "sailplane" are synonyms; one or the other tends to be more common depending on which part of the world you're in.

(If Wikipedia seems suspect as a source, try EASA.)

Although sailplane is used, semantically, with more emphasis on the performance class of the universe of gliders.

Well but it's true both cam be used. Actually my formar GLP was converted to an EASA SPL.

But then, IRL my glider/sailplane gets towed by the club PA18 or Rallye, and the winch doesn't pull me back 🤣🤣🤣

Main Simulation Rig:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jcomm said:

And if I opt for a winch launch it is even more weird - the winch is placed behind the glider and pulls me backwards???

Which airport?
Some addon airports have their runways reversed which causes the winch to be behind the aircraft. It is not Asobo's fault if developers don't have their work checked.
It happened to me once. Hilarious to be towed backwards, you'll soon learn that aircraft are not supposed to fly that way. I've forgotten which airfield it was but it was a well known glider field, probably German.

It happens when either the runway is reversed or the starting locations for each runway end are switched.

Edited by orchestra_nl
  • Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

48 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Which airport?
Some addon airports have their runways reversed which causes the winch to be behind the aircraft. It is not Asobo's fault if developers don't have their work checked.
It happened to me once. Hilarious to be towed backwards, you'll soon learn that aircraft are not supposed to fly that way. I've forgotten which airfield it was but it was a well known glider field, probably German.

It happens when either the runway is reversed or the starting locations for each runway end are switched.

both at LPMN and LPST.... Will try at other airfields, but in the past it worked ok at this airfields (at least Pre SU15 Beta).

Main Simulation Rig:

Thanks to all who replied ... my culprit was a recent add-on

which I got from FlihgtSim.to called "Africa to Go 1.8"....

eliminated this from my MS-Add-Ons linker and everything well...

hope this helps...

• Like 3

Yes, also confirmed that the tow back is due to a problem with some airports. Took off from LPEV and all good, but before SU15 beta I was able to take off by winch or tow plane from LPMN and LPST...

Main Simulation Rig: