Sign in to follow this  
Gabe777

Laggy Rotaries/Dials on SD+ Best Fix ?

So I have 3 SD's but use the Plus as an AP in MSFS.

Quite often, if I'm adjusting a dial... say for Heading ... there is a freeze and a few seconds wait,  and the value has changed by 10 or 15.

Are there any settings that improve this "queuing up" effect ?

Thnx

Never experienced that. But I have experienced the whole SD+ becoming laggy if I have my wireless headphones dongle on the same USB hub. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dazzlercee23 said:

Never experienced that. But I have experienced the whole SD+ becoming laggy if I have my wireless headphones dongle on the same USB hub. 

Hmmm...  I'm currently about to try different cables and direct routing rather than using powered hubs.

Been thinking it may affect it.

Yeah, I had wireless dongles for keyboard, mouse, xbox and headphones, plus yoke, throttles, rudders and SD+ on the same powered hub. 

With this setup the SD+ was very slow to respond to anything. Through trial and error I found that moving the headphones dongle to a native USB port completely solved the issue. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Thnx.

I have a 3-metre super powerful 20 quid cable arriving later.

Importantly it carries power 100W / 500mA...  and it's USB C gen 3.2 (20) for data. It's designed for VR stuff apparently. No doubt overkill but it will at least remove the "limitation" of the  powered-hub element.

IF it improves... I'll add other stuff back into the mix until it doesn't any more.

Hopefully I'll improve things. But TBH I'm thinking that running 3 SDs and a bunch of button boxes all from one app, may be pushing it a bit.

I've also got Saitek panels/radio run by Spad.next ...  I guess the entire USB system can only cope with so much data, before stuff starts to queue up ?

Thnx !

Edited by Gabe777

Posted (edited)

Sorry, but I have no idea what would cause this. There are at least a dozen options, not taking into accout that what you do with the dials is relvant too (and can cause hold-ups and general trouble in the sim).

On a side note, it is IMO not a good idea to run several tools at the same time that essentially do the same thing (AAO, SPAD, FSUIPC, Mobiflight). You can of course do as you wish, but AAO does not officially support any of these combos (as they can be unpredictable and gut feeling says that they spell trouble. As demonstrated by Mobiflight, when all MIDI devices stopped working in AAO).

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

OK guys ... so I've experimented and thought I'd share, as I started all the moaning ! 😁

I got a very good quality 3m USB cable with extremely high Gen 2 (20) bandwidth for data... AND up to 500mA/100W power capacity.

I shoved this into a direct USB Gen 2 port direct to motherboard.

This should remove cable deficiency from the equation.

I then turned the other 2 SDs off, uskng just the Plus.

When it came to using the dials for adjusting Alt, CRS and Heading etc., it turns out that the affect on the MCP setting is INSTANTANEOUS ! So that's good.

What IS still lagging though, is the info coming back to the SD+ display in the Strip window.

It does tend to lag a bit... so it paused at say 300 degrees for a few seconds, then jumps to wherever it is is at that point, in the MCP dislay in the aircraft... say 339.

TBH though given there is bi-directional transfer of data going on all over the place it's hardly surprising.

So it's good as it going to get.

However, the lag is MUCH less now I have the Plus on it's own dedicated USB channel with a good cable.

Edited by Gabe777

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

What IS still lagging though, is the info coming back to the SD+ display in the Strip window.

That would also depend on what kind of action has been used. The "Rotary Encoder Canvas" action is much (!) more performance intensive than the normal one (but a lot prettier). Especially when the author used large images for the graphics (=larger than they need to be for the little display) It is also possible that you have errors in the action's parameters that cumulate at certain times. I'd suggest taking a look at the StreamDeck process in the Windows Task Manager, to see if there is an idication that it is drawing too much processing power at certain times. There are also the StreamDeck logs (\AppData\Roaming\Elgato\StreamDeck\logs) and the Elgato developer web console where one can check for runtime errors (Getting Started | Stream Deck SDK (elgato.com) Item 5). 

Also, the AAO WebAPI that the SD is accessing has a load balancing option, you can direct the SD plugin to use the second port in case you need the first one for other items. But I don't know your actual hard- and software configuration, so this suggestion might be pointless.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Posted (edited)

Thnx for that.

Are there any settings I can change such as refresh rate in the A and Ohs config files... and what affect does that gave ?

Edited by Gabe777

Posted (edited)

I wondering is reducing the refresh rate of my other SDs... Mk2 and XL... which display stuff like airspeed  and weather etc... the SD+ may be a little more responsive  ?

Edited by Gabe777

Just now, Gabe777 said:

I wo dering is redycing the refresh rate of my other SDs which display stuff like airspeed  and weather etc... the SD+ may be a little more responsive  ?

No, I'm afraid that is not how this works. The refresh rate is a global parameter, when you set it to 1 second, everything will refresh at 1 second intervals. I doubt that it would make any difference anyway - you will probably have the same problem, just at larger intervals.

I will keep it in mind tough, that one may want to set a different refresh rate for separate StreamDecks. Problem is, that the plugin is run globally by the Elgato software for all devices at the same time.

A lot depends on what actions are in use. Graphics and/or complex logic, especially MultiGauge and RotaryEnvoderCanvas require a lot of processing power and when used in large numbers are prone to cause performance problems. The Elgator software/runtime itself is not really meant to do that kind of heavy lifting I guess.

LORBY-SI

7 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

Thnx for that.

Are there any settings I can change such as refresh rate in the A and Ohs config files... and what affect does that gave ?

The effect is simple and exactly as you would imagine. Set refresh to 1000ms and all buttons will only refresh once every second. Press a button and it will take up to 1 second before you get the feedback.

You can try setting it to 150/200/250 in small steps to find some middle ground between performance and responsiveness, but it will obviously never become more responsive. And don't bother going below 100ms, that will cause even more problems.

LORBY-SI

37 minutes ago, Gabe777 said:

I wondering is reducing the refresh rate of my other SDs... Mk2 and XL... which display stuff like airspeed  and weather etc... the SD+ may be a little more responsive  ?

Just to add, I sometimes have a small delay with the dial background images loading in on the Stream Deck, but the display of the variable values is perfect, no discernable lag whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

The effect is simple and exactly as you would imagine. Set refresh to 1000ms and all buttons will only refresh once every second. Press a button and it will take up to 1 second before you get the feedback.

You can try setting it to 150/200/250 in small steps to find some middle ground between performance and responsiveness, but it will obviously never become more responsive. And don't bother going below 100ms, that will cause even more problems.

So if I increased the refresh rate is that likely to send data TO my SD display faster  ...  and thus minimise the lag in updating  ?

Thnx again.

Doesn't responsiveness and Performance equal the same thing ?