Sign in to follow this  
Sonne

New high end system still stuttering

Hello all!

I've just installed my new system and set up MSFS and must admit: I'm pretty disappointed.

The new system consists of the following components:

- Ryzen 7800x3d

- Gigabyte RTX 4090

- 32GB DDR 5 RAM @ 6.000MHZ

- ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI

- M.2 SSDs only

- VARJO AERO HEADSET

- NO OpenXR toolkit installed 

In order to test the system I've maxed out literally all settings to ULTRA
TLOD & OLOD both at 150.

FSLTL: active IFR aircraft set to 30, parked aircraft set to 100

PMDG 737

Although this is quite a potent system, the SIM is still stuttering... Especially in Heathrow when taxiing or looking around in the cockpit.

Now one might say that EGLL and greater London ( Aiport addon from INI Scene ) is the most demanding area in any Flightsimulator.

That's true but the funny thing is: when checking parameters in HW-Monitor my CPU-Utilization is only about 30%...

GPU load is appr. 60%

Based on these readings there should be pretty much headroom left, so that the system shouldn't stutter at all.

What is wrong on my system? Why does MSFS stutter although there's so much headroom available?

Thank you and best regards!

• Empty your community folder and try again, might have a bad addon.
  • Check your stats in the sims development fps monitor; where is it reporting a problem, if any.
  • Step down your LOD from 200 to 100 and see if that makes a difference.
  • Disable fsltl and see it that changes anything. (It's a nice program but can be a hog)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hello,

FSLTL actually makes a huge difference, when disabling FSLTL it's smooth even in EGLL. 

I've got only 4 entries in community folder ( EDDH / EGLL / Port of Hamburg / Simbriefpanel ). I don't think that this is the bottleneck.

MSFS stats monitor ( FPS ) is not readable on Varjo Aero ( far upper right corner and only on left display ).

My LODs are only at 150.

My point is still: why is it stuttering with that much headroom???

Do I need openXr tollkit?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sonne said:

Do I need openXr tollkit?

If you think this is strictly a VR issue then I would go ahead and play with the toolkit as it seems to be recommended.

The Varjo has a reputation of having pretty good FPS in MSFS due to the foveated rendering, so you should be able to dial it in, eventually.

EDIT: I would also consider trying FSTraffic, as it does a credible job of providing busy airports without the sometimes heavy overhead of FSLTL....

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thank you.

Any recommendations/ideas for the nvidia control panel?

Best regards!

46 minutes ago, Sonne said:

Thank you.

Any recommendations/ideas for the nvidia control panel?

Best regards!

Not really. I'm not sure the control panel really makes that much of a difference...

Devons rig

I've got an almost identical set up, also with the Aero, I generally run on the Ultra preset, getting low 30's fps. I see youtubers getting much more fps, but as long as it's smooth, I don't chase it. 

If for whatever reason, the FPS drops off, could me MSFS related, PC related, I don't research it, I find the biggest hit to fps is Ultra clouds, I drop it to high, followed by LOD, I drop from 200 to 100, that usually does the trick. There's not a huge hit to the visual quality, most MSFS high settings are pretty good, it's a quick an easy fix. I do use the toolkit, never quite sure what I'm doing in there, but it seems better with it, also you get FPS and a clock on the screen, if you want it.

I have the same system but with hp reverb v2. Your expectations are too high.

Getting smooth 45fps in all scenarios using DX12 TLOD dynamically set between 50-150 using mods and clouds on high. In a 2xGTN panel cockpit in IFR, clouds might even have to drop to med to hold a smooth 45fps.

FSTL traffic is ok if you know how to set it up. You have it too high.

Also consider DLSS 3.6 or 3.7 using DLSS Swapper and DLAA mod using "DLSS Tweaks" for more frames and better visual clarity.

Also consider RTSS external frame locker mod for even better smoothness.

NCP settings are not critical main one is texture filtering on performance and prefer maximum performance.

Always clear the GPU cache(s) when switching to DX12.

Yes, the cpu is under-utilized but that is a design problem with 2020.

Sim update 15 beta helps with some memory related stutters.

Just installed OpenXR-Toolkit today:

made absolutely no difference...!

Settings in OPXRTK:

- upscaling / sharpening: NIS

- Turbo mode: on

I think I'll return the system, the difference between my previuos system ( i9 10900k / RTX 3080 ) and the new system is by far too marginal. Don't want to spent 4.500€ for that minimal performance gain. Just disappointing...

Best regards!

Posted (edited)

First of all: Thanks to all for your suggestions!

I’ve tried to balance CPU & GPU load.
The starting point was, that with all settings maxed out and TLOD/OLOD both at 150 , I was limited by mainthread as long as I was using Traffic ( FSLTL or FS-Traffic ).
As soon as I disabled Traffic, I’m still mainthreat limited, but the CPU-Graph now remained constantly yellow.
So I’ve tried to give the GPU more load, which wasn’t easy, as I was still CPU limited with all settings maxed out already. So I’ve cranked up the rendering scale in order to get the GPU more involved, which was successful and I eventually came to a point, where the limit was constantly changing between CPU & GPU, while the CPU-Graph was constantly yellow and the GPU was stable at just below 32ms.

So far, so good, but the stutters remained, the VR-experience was still far from being smooth or fluent.

I simply don’t know what to do…

Best regards!the GPU more involved, which was successful and I eventually came to

Edited by Sonne

So I’ve experiment a little with OpenXR Toolkit. Especially with the upscaling mode ( NIS ).

I’ve turned the size down to as low as 50%. All it does is that it makes the picture very blurry ( even with 100% sharpening ). Anyway, no increase in fps or smoothness at all. Not a single frame…

Without upscaling I achieve arround 40fps ( with stutters / very unsmooth ), with an upscaling size of 50% I get a very blurry picture with around 40fps ( with stutters / very unsmooth ). Same same…

Best regards