Sign in to follow this  
Daveo

Memory Leak

Guest dwaohio

I have an airplane with a memory leak. What is the best way to find out what is causing it and how do you stop it? I am using Vista home 32 bits.Dave

No answer for you, Dave - just a dumb question: How can you tell when it's a memory leak? I have both the Flight1 MD80 and the Eaglesoft CitationII, and both have been cited on a number of posts as being memory hogs, with the odd OOM crash. As I understand it - this is caused by the way XP handles memory, and there are various (successful) ways to circumvent the issue with XP. Now - your running Vista, and I believe MS has altered its memory management method, so it shouldn't give an OOM. I know this is not what you say you're getting: I believe I've read of this (memory leaks) happening if you have .bgl's in the texture folders (if I remember rightly), and I've read of the odd aircraft having it, but "how do you know if it's got a memory leak?"

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

A memory leak is by definition when a program doesn't release memory it was using and then ends up eating up more and more over time, since it can't access the already used (but not released) memory. Most of the time when people say they have a memory leak, it is NOT this. I can't even count how many times we've had people say our products for instance have "memory leaks" just because they see a high usage number or get an OOM error. High memory use is not a leak, increasing memory use that does not stop increasing and has no apparent reason for being so high could be indicative of one however.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest dwaohio

Within 2 minutes of using the plane I run out of memory. I have to restart FSX.Dave

Guest fsxmissionguy

Dave,I think what people are wanting to know is this:* How much RAM do you have in your system?* How much free RAM do you have before you start using this plane (important, because your computer is likely doing other things with some of your RAM outside of FSX).* How much free RAM does the plane consume once you start using it.* Does the ram FREE up after you stop using this plane.You can use Task Manager to determine these facts.Merely running out of RAM because you used the plane doesn't necessarily indicate a "memory leak." (See excellent definition of "memory leak" above.)You may just not have enough free RAM to start with.

>I have an airplane with a memory leak. What is the best way>to find out what is causing it and how do you stop it? I am>using Vista home 32 bits.>>DaveA memory leak is the gradual loss of available computer memory when a program (an application or part of the operating system) repeatedly fails to return memory that it has obtained for temporary use. As a result, the available memory for that application or that part of the operating system becomes exhausted and the program can no longer function. For a program that is frequently opened or called or that runs continuously, even a very small memory leak can eventually cause the program or the system to terminate. A memory leak is the result of a program bug.Some operating systems provide memory leak detection so that a problem can be detected before an application or the operating system crashes. Some program development tools also provide automatic "housekeeping" for the developer. It is always the best programming practice to return memory and any temporary file to the operating system after the program no longer needs it. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André

>Within 2 minutes of using the plane I run out of memory. I>have to restart FSX.>>>DaveBy any chance have you changed your bufferpool setting in the fsx.cfg file? I had a prob with that some time ago and lowering the bufferpool setting stopped it.The other DaveESSB

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png