Sign in to follow this  
scott967

7cm Textures

The way I understand it the max texture resolution for FS9 is 4.8m, and FSX shipped with 1.2m textures, giving a 16(X) increase.My question is, since the texture resolution slider in FSX goes to 7cm does that mean the 1.2m textures could be replaced with 7cm textures, and FSX would display them?Wouldn

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

yes, 7cm textures is real.But...there is no source material I'm aware of that provides this resolution.I did an experiement, you can do this too. I took a pic of a wall hanging at my house, with a major multipixel camera.I cropped the image to 1024 by 1024. Then I multiplied 7cm by 1024, resulting in 71.68 x 71.68 m coverage. If you create a polygon that has that size....71.68m x 71.68m, and decorate it with the bmp, and add it to fs as a ground polygon, you are seeing 7cm textures...of course that's not quite the point of using the native 7cm ability of the sim.The reason to use a polygon and display it is simply to define the corners of the area in degrees latitude and degrees longitude. These are needed to use the sdk tool resample and add the image onto the ground itself. Once I had those coordinates, I made an inf, and resmapled using the sdk tool.It looks amazing, a 71.68x71.68m area of nebraska in my fs world has a high resolution (7cm) tablecloth showing on the ground.But...I started with a superhigh resolution photo...where you gonna get that quality source material for real photoground imagry? Best, Bob