Sign in to follow this  
dbw1

SP2 uninstall

HiI'm running FSX with SP1 with lots of addons and everything runs fine. I've been refraining myself from installing SP2 ( i have no interest in the Acceleration pack whatsoever) because of all the negative comments i've been reading in a lot of forums.Let's put this way: If i have to reinstall FSX from scratch, it will take me days (if not weeks) to get everything installed as i have it now. Can someone confirm that if i install SP2 and then want to uninstall it, my FSX+SP1+addons installation will remain the same as i have it now? Or "maybe" i will have to reinstall everything again? I would like to be sure that everything remains the same after a possible SP2 uninstallation. Otherewise i will remain with SP1, with which i'm very happy.Thanks.P.S. And please refrain yourself from giving me answers like "you will not want to uninstall SP2" or something like that.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Guest JIMJAM

"I'm running FSX with SP1 with lots of addons and everything runs fine"Me too.I had all kind of problems with accel with my 7900gtx card so I had to start all over.I did try just the sp2 patch and after still having CTDs and NO gains, I removed it via the control panel add/remove programs.I did not notice any problems afterwards and I have a TON of addons.I just bought a 8800gt card and still running sp1/xp.FSX is running the best it ever has and I am AFRAID to touch anything.I am going to hold off and keep my eyes on this post.Right now there are not to many addons that "must" have sp2, at least none I want so bad I am willing to risk my loaded and tweaked FSX ON.

Thanks for your answer.Anyone else uninstalled SP2 and can add something?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

AAhhhhh yes good ole sp2. I can tell you that I installed and uninstalled 7 times (because I refused to believe that I couldn't use it) Now it resides in the closet with a bunch of other useless stuff that I will throw away some day. I can say truthfully that I have had no problems with it since I put it in the closet. Draw your own conclusions. Don

You didn't answer my question... When you uninstalled it, did your previous FSX installation stay as before or did you have to reinstall FSX?

Alvega

That's a hard question to answer because some of those times it seemed okay, so I was convinced that I could do it that way safely, then about the 4th or 5th time I kept getting error messages after it was removed (pulling hair!!!) so I uninstalled fsx and started from scratch. So---it would be impossible for me to tell you that you could take sp2 out and all would be fine. Sorry, but that is the way it is. The last two times I was installing sp2 only, without acceleration, and I got the same result.Microsoft blames nvidea (convenient) but my nvidea card runs fsx sp1 great---so---all I can say is if you want to try it, you are on your own. Good luckDon

That's because there aren't many FSX add-ons! There may be a lot of FS9 add-ons that are cobbled together to work in FSX, but that's a different story.To the original poster, if you're not willing to un-install FSX and re-install it properly with SP1 and 2 followed by your add-ons, my advice is to stay where you are and accept that you're not using the full and final version of FSX.There's plenty of advice around on how to install properly and those who make half hearted attempts to do it, and then carry on "tweeking", seem only destined to have problems..........as can be seen by the various threads that appear here.But, despite what you see here in terms of SP2 problems, remember that there's 000's upon 000's of users that aren't complaining; ever wonder why?Paul

Cheers

Paul Golding

>There's plenty of advice around on how to install properly and>those who make half hearted attempts to do it, and then carry>on "tweeking", seem only destined to have problems..........as>can be seen by the various threads that appear here.FSX + SP2 can -and most often does- suffer a "death from a thousand tweaks" to mutiliate a well-known aphorism... ;)The best results are obtained by folks who install completely anew and -G A S P !- apply no "tweaks" whatever.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Indeed...........and to make FSX life really nice, users just need to do what they always used to do with each new release of FS, go and buy a new PC! Goodness only knows why on earth so many people think it doesn't apply this time around.A half decent 2 or 4 core with 2 to 4 gb of ram and and half decent gpu, bought off the shelf with Vista and a nice clean install and defrag = FSX utopia for 99.9% of users..............and of course as said above NO TWEAKS!!!!!! (OK, there may be 2 that are usefull)Still, what do we know Bill :-roll Paul Greatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjet

Cheers

Paul Golding

Don and Paul, thanks for answering my question.

Alvega

I'm getting a new computer in a couple of weeks. My understanding is acceleration includes sp1 and sp2. I am wondering if I install acceleration on top of a fresh install of fsx how that would work.Has anyone tried this and how did you make out.? Thanks. Dave