Sign in to follow this  
VS0

Anything more on the Blurries?

Guest sj8005

>For what I define as "blurries" can be achieved by setting>anisotropic filtering in the nVidia control panel to>"application-controlled" and setting filtering in FSX graphics>to anything other than "anisotropic" as depicted in the other>enclosed screenshot. Anyone truly experiencing blurries as>shown in that screenshot should be sure filtering is set>correctly before pursuing hardware solutions.>>ArtJust wanted to retouch on this.. After about a week long battle with the blurries, this fixed mine! I had installed UTX and was marveling at the new terrain and while trying to squeeze out every FPS I could, I came down with a BAD case of the blurries. I even tried Nick N's system performance guide (which DID speed up my system all around) in hopes that it was performance related.The situation that Art describes above was what I had inadvertently done. I do have before and after screenshots, if someone could kindly point out an FAQ or something to post them.I can now move on to tweaking rather than fixing :-) .Stacy

Guest Nick_N

See here for UTX and (mostly) FSX tuning.. I dont know what kind of system you have so the FSX slider settings will probably not be right other than GRAPHICS TAB which is the same for everyone, but the rest of how to tune and adjust is exactly the same...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...d=437662&page=2He is on a P4 and 256MB video card with 2GB of memory..Most others can bump up Scenery Complexity to 100%, water to 2xLow, boats and ships to 25 (cars stay at 10% MAX)Keep in mind, he uses REPLACEMENT Traffic so DONT try to run AI at that level if you use default... I would ONLY advise a QUAD CORE with a 768MB fast video card try 59% AIotherwise between 20-40 MAX

Posted this in a blog comment but it never seemed to get read.I suppose the problem, for single core users, is that the FS engine is too paralell now. The plane just keeps on covering ground without FPS hickups, but no time is spent loading new textures.For multi core users, more cores help to a point. But the fact that all disk io etc. is serialized, and handled by the first core means that while CPU usage for the other cores is also very high, most of it is spent in some tight loop, waiting for a "slot" on the first core to get more textures read from disk. Ideally, you'd need as many harddisks as CPU cores, so that disk io can also be done in paralell.Original comment:----FSX RTM had no blurries on my system. The new 1m England photo scenery had no blurries in FSX, where as the old 5m scenery in FS2004 suffered from some blurries. A huge improvement as the storage requirement for the 1m scenery is massively increased over the 5m scenery. Normal scenery didn't suffer from blurries, either, though autogen caused a big performance hit (FPS).With SP1 (and later SP2), it all went to pieces both with photo scenery, tile proxy and normal scenery. I'm still on a single-core CPU and an X800XT videocard.. But the FPS improvement with SP1 meant that I could fly with the same settings as RTM and maintain 20-30 FPS anywhere...but with blurries everywhere. I suppose I could just throw more hardware at the problem, which is what I'm planning in the end, but with framerates in the mid 30's in rural areas (and still noticable "type 2" blurries), it should be possible to re-balance the resources

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Whats there to bump? Honestly people there is nothing you can do about the blurries except wait for faster processors. Thats it. Any discussion is almost completely irrelevant as there aren't any more tweaks or sevice packs.

"Honestly people there is nothing you can do about the blurries except wait for faster processors."Did you read my post? NO blurries with an old 3500+ single core CPU using FSX RTM. Something happens when we install SP1/2 that causes the tile read speed to be reduced by a factor of at least 2x.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Nick_N

I have a theory about thatI post that theory in my avatar over at SimVIt reads "There is nothing wrong with FSX, the problem is you or your system"Blurries are typically the result of many factors the user does not understand... They assume because they install an update that their system is not ready for in many respects, or, they install that update improperly without knowing and it makes things worse, the problem is the software.take this person on a P4 and 256mb viodeo card, check out the image in the first post... then scroll down to after I outlined his setup.. I believe the response was "HOLY MOLY" http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...37378&mode=fullThat of course requires the following:1. Proper system setup whereby background activity has been completely confirmed, not an issue.. including the security software2. Proper installation of Windows, DirectX and all patches for the OS and the installed software, including the drivers. Disk layout and not using RAID with cheap array hardware (motherboard or cheap PCI card RAID) and no partitons on the drive(s)3. Proper clean install of FSX and its service packs.. you cant just run the installers back to back.. to do so may corrupt the results. there is a process to install FSX and apply service packs4. Proper setup of FSX with the hardware and add-ons installedHis results were without any WindowsXP system tuneup and running SP2

After moving from different systems,monitors, and video cards there is also something I have noticed concerning blurries.It can be aircraft specific...I can use a complex airliner like the level D, or stock Ms planes and get no blurries-ever.I can use some other 3rd party/freeware planes-and induce some almost immediately.Hmmmmm.....http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/