Sign in to follow this  
Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

I died and have gone to heaven! WOW, WOW, and er..WOW!

Guest Nick_N

You guys are looking for tweaks?Dont just tweak FSX and UTX, tweak your rig where it gets its precious resources fromAssuming you are indeed on -WindowsXP SP2-, follow this list very carefully and do not skip anythingYou need O&O Defrag version 8.5, do not use v10 unless you have no choice and ... get v8.5 x32 here:http://www.b3ta.cr3ation.co.uk/data/exe/oodefragpro.exethat is a legal trial copy.. you can purchase it too from O&O which I highly suggestI posted a link to the 64bit version of O&O v8.5 below in this listIf you do use version 10 of O&O Defrag, do DO NOT run the SPACE defrag past the first 2 defrag passes and never again... just the first runs... (you will see the list below) after that only run the COMPLETENAME defrag as I outline below---------------------USE AT YOUR OWN RISK----------------------------------------------ONLY FOR WINDOWS XP SP2------------------------------------DELL AND OEMS BE CAREFULL WITH THIS LIST------------You can do the tweaks but on DELL computers be carefull about the defrag.. some DELLS do not like that software unless you wiped the disk clean and installed XP without the DELL junk on the systemSTART - RUN type: regeditclick OK Regedit will open. Find the following keys in the tree: Browse to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlFileSystem ----> Look for the following key in the right pane

Oh that GEX covered New Zealand (-: Terry

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

>The best tweak which you will find when you get your new>system-at that point the only tweak is turn everything up>full-utx,gex,fex,asx,mytraffic!>http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpg>>My blog:>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/--------------------------------------On a serious note, you can't believe how much I am looking forward to that, Geofa! That is the impetus for getting the new machine.Also, I am doing things with FSX, and UTX-X, that I have never been able to do...and what is that, you ask?I am on pause on a VFR flight in a Piper Arrow, within Mississippi and am following for MILES and MILES, a single railroad track. Now, before FSX and UTX, they were truly only lines blended into the default scenery that if you followed for three miles, they just died out to nowhere. It was just a line of filler ground texture pixels. Not now...Geofa, I have been following the tracks to one town after another...AND ALL DIFFERENT. Some with municipal airfields, some not. The point is..that the UTX tracks are GOING SOMEWHERE...through towns and cities as they would in real life...and probably to note, are REAL tracks that would be there in true life. I can fly for hundreds of miles on a SINGLE TRACK. This is amazing for a flight sim!I simply have NEVER had so much fun...so much entertainment...because I now feel that I am flying to 'somewhere in real life' and not just texture-fill. You use Tile Proxy, and as you have stated, you love flying over your actual house on the lake. That is sort of how I feel about my approaches now. For the first time in a sim, I can 'see' with my mind, and fill in the picture because I know EXACTLY where I am, over the terrain. This is awesome...and yes..I will pay now $$$ to have this scene as fluid as in real life. It's now worth the expense! I can justify another computer system, and lose no sleep. :) Before adding UTX to FSX, FSX was just another line of tracks, roads, valleys...going nowhere. VFR flight is very much a sheer enjoyment now, Geofa. You have a sense of how far you have flown behind you, as you now have expectations of virtual reality AHEAD of you...I would love to see in the next UTX upgrade/update, that trains are running on those tracks, just as cars and trucks run on the UTX roads. To see a train running through the countryside, or in a canyon...would add immesurably to the immersion.Mitch

Nick, I just printed this post off...and will enjoy following your Yellow Brick Road...:)Thanks for the time you spent in composing it!Mitch

Yep-trains would be nice!Your enthusiasm though is what it is all about-nice to hear your reports!I love Tileproxy-but all the add in x's added together are also an experience!I liken it to multifunction displays in aircraft now. Does one use the vector graphic display which is really great-or the real chart display which is also great...(or the 3d heads up display)...Just did some approaches to kfnt my old home airport. When I saw the car traffic on Bristol road and I-75 on my approach to rwy 27 it just triggered a familiar feeling in the old brain (I'll be doing it tomorrow for real-might have to post a few real/sim compares again)!By the way-download Bluesky's Sierra Nevada/Yosemite scenery (available at avsim)-almost the entire Sierra Nevada chain of California. Mind blowing-a different approach again!What a great simming time!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest Nick_N

Reprint it I just made a few editsAnd remember,,... tweaking is at your riskI use that list like a bible and have for years. I have been building that list since XP was released and added O&O Defrag to it many years agoEvery system I set up gets that treatment and now you can see why I dont like VISTA... especially because of the poor low-level disk access it allows for the defrag software. I have gone through every hack, edit, service tweak, .. what I have found and know quite well is for every 15 tweaks you find on the net ONE of them is good and the other 14 are TRASH and will usually either slow a system down or have NO effect at allENJoy

Nick,Never being to old to learn new stuff, I have a question.What is the reason you recommend O&O version 8.5 versus 10? Is it solely because of the SPACE defrag item?Thanks for any insight.Rick

Rick Ryan

Geofa,Hey, I grew up in Saginaw and got my PPL back in '72 at KMBS. Then I wandered around the world with the Air Force for 25+ years, and "landed" out here in Las Vegas 4 years ago.I agree with you. I've been doing some of my GEXn comparisons around KMBS and KFNT, and it's incredible how realistic it looks now. Reminds me of all the VFR flying I did there many, many years ago.Rick

Rick Ryan

Guest Nick_N

>Nick,>>Never being to old to learn new stuff, I have a question.>>What is the reason you recommend O&O version 8.5 versus 10? >Is it solely because of the SPACE defrag item?>>Thanks for any insight.>>RickReprint the list.. I just edited it againI am finished editing nowYes, O&O version 10 CHANGED how it handles NAME and SPACE defrags. If you run the SPACE defrag after running a COMPLETENAME defrag it destroys the optimization the COMPLETENAME defrag provides.The completename defrag leaves gaps in the sectors as it runs which I do not like. Version 8.5 completely compacts and fills all slack sectorsIt really ticked me off when they changed that and I dont use v10You can use v10 but just remember to NEVER run the SPACE defrag more than the first 2 times I listed above.. after that its never used again unless you clean install and are setting up for the first time.

Unreal!I have made many landings at Kmbs and had lots of avionics work done there....(had a rough engine emergency there with my daughter in the plane..but we won't go there!)Envy the Las Vegas Landing considering the winter we have been having in Michigan this year.I hope to have a landing such as your own fairly soon somewhere warm...Respect greatly your work in the airforce-you guys are the real thing!http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I am SPACE O and O'ing right now. Will reprint the list. Thanks Nick.BTW, really like the O and O mask. I'll probably pick it up after the 30 days.Mitch

Guest Nick_N

You should not be on here posting if the defrag is running... assuming its the same rig you are surfing withVery important not to touch the keyboard, check email, surf or do anything while the defrag is running... nadda, nil, nuthinhave a beer or 3 but dont touch the computerNOTE: On some newer Nvidia adpaters the OFFLINE defrag DOS screen will appear GARBLED.. NO WORRIES IT REQUIRES NO INPUT just let it run and when it is finished it will reboot. its working, its just a BUG with newer Nvidia cards(GO FIGURE) LOL

Nick,One other question. Just to make sure. Will O&O v8.5 work on a RAID 0 drive configuration? If yes, are there any special considerations to use reference your instructions above? Or can I just follow them "as is"? I know some defrag utilities can really hose up a RAID 0 config. Just want to make sure v8.5 and your instructions won't fry mine. :-hmmm

Rick Ryan

Guest Nick_N

no issuesand I would not use RAID0 for FSX unlesss it was a professional raid solution, which is what I use. Motherboard and cheap PCI card RAID will actually cause more problems than it solvesNo issues with O&O and RAIDO&O has been around for quite a while and is widely used for servers

>>>You should not be on here posting if the defrag is running...>assuming its the same rig you are surfing with>>Very important not to touch the keyboard, check email, surf or>do anything while the defrag is running... nadda, nil, nuthin>>have a beer or 3 but dont touch the computer>>NOTE: >>On some newer Nvidia adpaters the OFFLINE defrag DOS screen>will appear GARBLED.. NO WORRIES IT REQUIRES NO INPUT>> just let it run and when it is finished it will reboot. its>working, its just a BUG with newer Nvidia cards>>(GO FIGURE) LOL>---------------------------------------------------I was using my laptop, Nick. BTW, I read in the manual...that you can run O and O in the background, so they claim. I had always just shut off the monitor and walked away from the system until done. My Dell is at 99 percent as I type this on my Lap'er. As stated, I like the mask. As soon as the defrag is done on the desktop, I'll let have a go at the laptop. Again, thanks for posting all the O.S. tweaks. Anything to squeeze that last drop out of it.Mitch