Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hedgehog

"OOM Error" explained in comprehensible English

Guest firehawk44

Thanks Bill for providing an excellent post and explanation of the OOM error w/fix(es). It's a shame we (gamers and flight simmers) have to go through this needed task to further tweak our systems to avoid CTD's/BSOD's. I hope there will be better management of VAS in the future and we won't have to manually edit our systems. You would think after buying a state-of-the-art computer system with the latest OS and tons of memory, this problem would not exist but it does. You guys over at Team Eaglesoft rock! Keep up your great work and thanks!Best regards,Jim

Hi Nick,thanks for the tip.Just a question:I'm running W/XP SP2 + FSX SP2, with a Q6600 + 4 GB RAM DDR2 + nVidia 8800GTX 768MB.Recently, I've tried the "/3GB /Userva=2560" addition to boot.ini and this helped me a lot for the infamous "spikes from trees and scenery" that many are experiencing Then, I've played a bit with bufferpool setting (I usually set it 15 million (15000000) and run FSX at 1280 x 960).With the same complex scene, standing still in the air (slew mode) I see no difference in video memory load (using memstatus 2.50)changing from default bufferpool value (1000000) to 256 million.The only thing that changes is FPS, dropping from 23 to 4-5.Any idea?Thanks in advanceFulvio

Guest Nick_N

As mentioned above, BP will not increase frames so if you are losing frames or trying to get a frame rate situation locked down, you need to get rid of the BP setting completely, figure out the FR issue first be it settings, hardware clocking, etc... and BP/TBM are the absolute last areas tuned and only if they need to be tuned.TBM is about ground textures remaining sharp in close proximity after everything else is configured, BP is about stutters in turns and panning views around the aircraft and in some cases stutters over a large amount of scenery. Neither of those adjustments are +FR related and they can have a negative effect on FR since you are demanding more resources.And as mentioned, I am running a high CPU clock on what is typically not standard memory speed and latency. Most users are on DDR2 533-800 and I am on much faster DDR3, near double DDR2 memory speed @ 1600+. That will definitely play into my success with those tweaks and why I do not recommend a 80 TBM and a 12800000 BP setting. You are forcing more bandwidth need than the system can probably handle and that would account for a large FR drop too.

Nick,thanks again for the extra info.Really, I was NOT looking for better FPS when I tried higher buffer pools settings but, as I never saw a video memory load above 510KB on my 8800GTX 768 MB, I was trying to raise the bufferpool setting in order to better exploit my video memory.By the way, I'm using a default texturebandithmult=40.So, do you think it makes sense for my rig to use bufferpools=15000000 (frankly I don't see much difference with and without it) or is it too high?CheersFulvio

Hi there, I got some OOM after a reinstall of FSX and I found this solution which looks very very promising, if I knew what to do of course.I got Windows XP SP2 and FSX SP1. So, could someone please help me and tell me what steps EXACTLY I have to take to enable the 3GB thing and where I can find the boot.ini file? Thanks in advance.... itifonhom.

>>This shows I can use a 256000000 bufferpool setting to use the>full Vmem on the 8800GTX and still fly just fine. This DOES>not raise frames however it DOES smooth out the flight in very>large cities with a massive amount of scenery in the image>such as NYC/LA, etc or areas with a huge number of trees, as I>run a 100% AG and Scenery Complexity slider. >Holy moly! 256 megs for bufferpool! I would have never, ever thought of jacking it up that high.I have an 8800GTX now. Maybe *I* should experiment with a 256 meg bufferpool. I'm only on 10000000 right now, running Autogen = Dense at 1920 x 1200.>@ 1920x1200, bufferpools to 8000000 and very high scenery>settings the 8800GTX is using a MAX of 514MB circling a large>city and this holds true for all large cities, not just>Seattle. Tokyo and New York included? ;) (known FSX memory hogging cities)>I know many of my settings such as TBM=80 go against the grain>of things however I am running DDR3 1600+ so I associate>success with very satisfying results on the memory speed and>latency in conjunction with everything else tuned to use the>hardware resources.>I too am now running DDR3 1600. I use TBM=40 at presentWhy is TBM=80 going against the grain? TBM at 80 seems like a reasonable value to experiment with, if you've got the rig to handle it.>>The use of large memory (1GB) video cards is also very>motherboard and BIOS dependant.. some simply will not handle>the higher memory cards correctly. Most very modern>motherboards will.>I'm only just starting to tweak this P5E3.RhettE8500, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Nick_N

>Holy moly! 256 megs for bufferpool! I would have never, ever thought of jacking it up that high.Hold on there partner... I did not say I WAS running 256, I said I could and no I dont run that because with the overhead for the frame buffer I would run out of memory and start displaying artifacts with extended flight time in heavy load areas. I run 100000000-125000000>Tokyo and New York included?Yes but I am also running a very fast processor and memory speed>I too am now running DDR3 1600I am not running DDR3 1600 I am running well above that on very low latency for DDR3 2000@ DDR3 1600 the highest you want CAS latency is 7. Any higher and you may as well be on DDR2 1200

>>Holy moly! 256 megs for bufferpool! I would have never, ever>thought of jacking it up that high.>>>>>Hold on there partner... I did not say I WAS running 256, I>said I could and no I dont run that because with the overhead>for the frame buffer I would run out of memory and start>displaying artifacts with extended flight time in heavy load>areas. I run 100000000-125000000>Where'd I say you were running 256? ;) I've never heard of higher than 12 million, that's why I was intrigued...I shall play around with bp at some point here.>>I too am now running DDR3 1600>>I am not running DDR3 1600 I am running well above that on>very low latency for DDR3 2000>>@ DDR3 1600 the highest you want CAS latency is 7. Any higher>and you may as well be on DDR2 1200>good thing I'm sitting at CAS latency of 7 right now then.I have not had time to do much fiddling with it yet, but this thing ran 400 x 9.5 with no voltage tweaks at all. It wasn't Prime95 stable though.I'm a little concerned about the Patriot Viper DDR3 1600 sticks as they are not on the "recommended" list for the P5E3, at least not yet.RhettE8500, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

HelloI own a 8800GTS with 320Mb RAM. I have OOM CTDs.With the switch and userva=2560, I experience stutters when FS9 needs to draw sceneries, clouds and textures are longer to load.What is the recommended userva setting for this card and to avoid this issue: 2304 as I have seen above?ThanksGhiom

Guest firehawk44

Excellent post! I think it's time to bump it back up to the front page again.Jim

>I'm a little concerned about the Patriot Viper DDR3 1600>sticks as they are not on the "recommended" list for the P5E3,>at least not yet.>>Rhett>Should be ok, if it's workin'!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X