Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thrakete

I Give Up On SP2!

OK, now, before anyone assumes anything, I have tried every patch, tweak, non-tweak, defrag, non-defrag, defrag program, four letter word and prayer...I have a good computer...I had nothing but problems with FSX after I installed SP2...CTD's, freeze-ups, heart attacks, etc...I removed it about two hours ago, and, since then, I have had no problems at all...Hummm!...I know some folks swear by it, but I did nothing but swear at it, so, Goodbye SP2...Yes, some add-ons are now being made "SP2 Specific", but, I have tried a couple of them and they seem to work fine...DX10? Never had it; Won't miss it...Don't ask about frame rates; I never turn on the counter...I set the default at 24fps and forget about it, all sliders except traffic are set mid-range...I am now a happy flyer of FSX...I do appreciate all of the assistance and advice given here on the Forum...As anyone who has been into computers knows well, what works on one computer doesn't necessarily work on another...Off to fly!Steve in Kansas

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Steve,I have been using SP2 for about a month now. The only problems I have had are related to transparencies in old freeware airplanes, and there are fixes out for most of those. I have had no freezes, no crashes, no unexplained problems, and I am using the supposedly troublesome graphics card. No tweaks, defrags, or any of the other stuff you mentioned. I did have one ATC problem recently that resolved itself for some reason, but can't say it was SP2 related.Regardless, I have read enough posts like yours to know the above doesn't prove anything. I don't have a clue why some of the FSX software works well for some people and acts like a virus for others, but that seems to be the way it is. For some of us, possibly the majority, SP2 does not cause any problems.However, I really can't say that it does anything for my sim, because i have nothing to compare it to. I only installed it because of the SP2 Specific software you mentioned. The last few words in your post pretty much sum things up.I also do not consider frame rates an ultimate test of how well FSX is running.Sorry for your problems.Regards,Thrakete

>I have a good computerSteve,I'm curious on your hardware, so please post your specs.Ulf B

Might seem like a big step, but did you try installing Windows all over again? If FSX SP2 still won't work on a fresh installment of the OS, you are free to skip SP2. :(

Yeah SP2 is full of bugs, but that how it goes I guess. Most annoying to me are the weird shadows that are always appearing on the upper surface of my aircraft, across the fuselage and wings, along with all the texture flickering and black boxes that I see apearing where lights should be. The menu crashes are annoying, but at least there is a workaround for that.

I forgot to mention that I still fly FS9...With the above computer I max out all sliders (except traffic), have all sorts of add-ons installed, and get a frame rate of never less than 50, even flying over the most dense scenery...Sometimes hits 130 over less dense areas...I think FS9 will be around for a long time...I plan on keeping FSX on my system and flying it, but I really enjoy the "no-hassle" flying in FS9...Of course, I remember when all we did was complain about FS9! And so it goes...Steve in Kansas

Hedgehog, I feel your pain :-)I started a thread on the hardware section about my problems with SP2 and steps taken to try to figure it out.Thread is "FSX-SP2, Nvidia or ATi"I notice you too are using a 8800 card. I don't know if we can point to that as the issue, but I sure see a lot of posts with the 8800 being a common denominator. Only a guess at this point. --Ray

Hey Geofa is that the right link? That's a fix (more of a reminder actually) for FS2000 reported in 2005. If it is, is that actually what Nvidia tech support is telling people to do to try fix thier 8800GTX's in FSX !! LOL - I wish it was that simple.Regards'Garett

Hmm-you are right-but that is the link they give. I checked the nvidia board and it does seem the 8800 gtx's have the problem and that is nvidia's solution....The board is filled with such complaints.I tend to think nvidia is at fault as my card has none of these troubles.Makes one reconsider buying another..http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

cool, I just bought a gts (g92) 512...is that the gts version you have?I hanven't installed it yet.Bob

"The board is filled with such complaints."Yikes, if that's all their doing to look into the reported problems with these cards - no doubt people are going to be po'd. What's the next tech KB solution, make sure you have the power on LOL.Knock on wood I don't have the menu crash, but my 8800GTX is not without it's issues. Anyways, thanks for the info Geofa.Garett

>cool, I just bought a gts (g92) 512...is that the gts version>you have?>>I hanven't installed it yet.>>BobBob, That's a newer version than I have. Mine is the 8800 GTS 320 meg purchased around April '07--Ray

The full screen menu CTDs are not limited to any particular Nvidia card. They can and have occurred on all cards from the 7 and 8 series as well as some 6 series cards. I've had them and defeated them on my 8800 ultra 768mb. In fact it's the 79xx series cards that are worst affected by it, I don't know of anyone who has a card in that range that works with SP2.Some fixes have been discovered and they help some people but not all unfortunately and there seems to be no common thread hardware wise between those that do suffer the crashes, other than having an Nvidia card. Dual and Quad core owners get them, both AMD & Intel, and the motherboard doesn't seem to be a factor either.I'd love to know what the underlying issue on this one is, and what it was that changed between SP1 and SP2 menus wise to expose such a weakness in the nvidia drivers.

I have an 8800GTX and I have ZERO problems with FSX. It runs fine, I can do everything I want whenever I want to and I have never ever had ONE lockup or CTD or WHATEVER problem with FSX SP2. I DID have problems with FSX RTM and SP1 though (like menus taking a few minutes to pop up), but SP2 solved it ALL for me! In other words: SP2 rocks. Yes, that's how it goes in computerland. ;)

Snip: "In fact it's the 79xx series cards that are worst affected by it, I don't know of anyone who has a card in that range that works with SP2."Hmmmm. That's interesting. I have always used the nVidia 7950 GT. Have had no problems throughout the development of FSX through all versions including betas, but have seen lots of owners of the 8800 series cards with issues.DX9c is solid and well-understood by the two leading video vendors. nVidia's implementation of DX10 is not solid. I think their boards bear out that view. ATI does not seem to be having these issues with their DX10 offerings from what I have read.If I'm Bill Gates, I'm reexamining my relationships with HP and nVidia. These two companies (my view) have killed Vista because of their dominance of their respective segments.

One reminder, though I am sure almost everyone knows this by now:Be sure to follow the driver installation instructions (I think they call them "hints" now) on the online NVidia driver page when doing your installation. If you make the installation with an anti-virus program running for example, the results are completely unpredictable.Before anyone jumps on this post, I am not suggesting that this is the reason for any of the problems discussed above.Regards,Thrakete

7950GTO here and no problems. At least, no CTD'sI have the wonderful screen tearing because I cannot force Vsync. When I force Vsync on, I get smooth but every 3 second stuttering. I have heard that all cards do this, and its an FSX thing....so Im not caring much.But yea, SP2 is great for me, as it gave me FPS. Sorry to hear, but not all 7 series Nvidias are affected. It is machine specific like everything when it comes to these endlessly configurable machines.Danon O.

"I'd love to know what the underlying issue on this one is, and what it was that changed between SP1 and SP2 menus wise to expose such a weakness in the nvidia drivers."Exactly, and if ACES could send off to Nvidia what they changed, it may give them a point/direction to investigate for a fix. Or maybe the menu crash is just a side effect from some type of lost focus on the app, or calls being made the driver can't handle? I agree it would be interesting why the issue only after SP2. One things for sure, both parties have a mutual gain by resolving the issue LOL.Regards'Garett

Has anyone considered that it might not be the specific video card being used, but rather the amount of memory the card uses?http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105looks to me like a possible cause of all these CTD with modern video cards (and also explain why the 8800GTS 320 mb card appears not to have the problem.If so, this hotfix might just relieve the problem.Just my 2c

I have the 940105 hot fix installed some time back and it does not fix my problem. I am running Vista 32bit with a Q6600, 2 Meg Ram and a 8800GTX and after flying for about an hour and a half, my computer starts to act flaky and then usually CTD. No error code, but Windows will later on report a problem with the NVidia driver and recommend downloading the latest NVidia update. I have yet to find a driver that does not do this.This is the only serious problem I have with FSX, but it is fairly significant.Ron

"If you make the installation with an anti-virus program running for example, the results are completely unpredictable."Vendors which encourage their users to download and install their software without a virus scanner are providing their users with horrid advice, and you should never follow it.nVidia is not immune to distributing files containing viruses and trojans, even though it may claim to be. Some very famous companies have distributed malware, trojans, virii and rootkits - sometimes intentionally.Beware the developer who tells you to turn off your virus scanner. It's a dead giveaway.If, on the other hand, your virus scanner is constantly providing you with a stream of false positives, consider switching. Crying wolf virus software is just as useless.

">>Beware the developer who tells you to turn off your virus scanner. It's a dead giveaway.<<"IMHO, if you suspect the vendor of such sinister conspiracies, you should not be using their product in the first place. In the case of NVidia, I have experienced the problem of getting a defective installation of drivers if my anti-virus is left on, so their caution is valid. It could, of course, depend on which anti-virus program you are using.However, I guess I should have suggested that the driver installation program should first be downloaded to disk with anti-virus on, then the computer disconnected from the internet before making the actual installation. I always do this, even though in my case it means disconnecting an Ethernet cable manually.In any case, thank you for your opinion.Regards,Thrakete