Sign in to follow this  
rpowers

Have stutters with high FPS

I know this topic has been beaten to death but will ask anyway in case I have missed something.I am getting FPS from 20-50 but still have stutters especially when landing.Piper twin at Durango with AI at 20 ,ag at very dense and the rest maxed.I have core 2 duo Q6600 with 8600/512 GT card and 2 gb ram.Thanks for any help.Ron

Bring back Chief Illiniwek!University of Illinois.

I have a 8600 GT 256 DDR3 superclocked and I have recently run into a similar problem with a new scenery I bought. Try this, turn off aa in fsx and set it to 2x multi sample at the card using nhancer. That has helped me alot.

Jim Wenham

Guest Mach42

Setting a framerate lock also helps, particularly when you're doing very high FPS.

Thanks for the help.I turned down super sampling from 8X to 2X in Enhancer and it really slowed the stutters.What is the downside of going from 8X to 2X?I didn't notice any difference except lack of major stutters.I have to admit that this comparison is after having a few beers and wine at my daughter's dinner table,but it sure looks good.Thanks,Ron

Thanks for the framerate tip.I have experimented with it and still cannot figure the best out.I think locking it at 30 works best for me.I continually change my settings as I fly.Thanks,Ron

Stutters seem to be caused by the display of the frames getting behind. You then see the display jerk slightly forward when the frame display buffer gets a full dose of pixels. Stutters are usually worse in some cockpit views. Try a simple test of setting your FPS to 20 and fly around using different cockpit views. The now reserved processing time allows the buffers to pre-load and the video card always has something to display rather than running the buffers dry.If your system reacts like mine a flight at 50fps with stutters becomes stutter free when locking at 40 fps.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Nick_N

The major downside to reducing to 2x is AG tree shimmer more than anything else. 8xS will remove most of it especially if you use Trees v2.1 SP1 and 8xS will also create a better contrast visual in my opinion.Some scenery may not play nice with that setting, it depends on how it was designed, and, some systems may not be able to handle the setting either because of hardware limits which is why my list suggests 4xS instead of 8xS for slower cards/processors.2x will allow shimmering that I wil not fly with. Most of the towers I have calibrated for FSX displayed annoying tree shimmer without 8xS.In heavy urban I set FR to UNLIMITED and outside urban I set to 30What you are seeing is normal on some systems. It goes back to how FSX was designed. To minimize the high FR stutter, lock it. Check and see if heavy urban runs better with UNLIMITED over locked 30. If it does, do the same as I do. Anything outside of a large city area I lock at 30 specifically because of what you are seeing which is related to priority and autogen, and, the frame rate is bouncing up and down so much it creates a high frame rate stutter.

Thanks for all the advice.At least I know that this is not uncommon.Will experiment with it tonight.Ron

Nick,As always,thanks for that explanation.Ron

I was doing some scenery dev in a low-object area (mainly vegetation autogen which I keep fairly high), and found that I got really high frames unlocked but with unacceptable stutters. Locking the frames at 30 got rid of most stutters. I use 8xS.scott s..

I compromized tonight at 4Xs Enhancer at 30 fps locked.Looked good.Will change as I keep tweaking.It is fun looking for the "perfect settings"Ron